Should I enable X.M.P?

Dr3bb2

Should I enable X.M.P? Cuz I don't know if I should enable it. I don't want to break my computer. Please tell me if you need any more information.

1 minute ago, Dr3bb2 said:

Should I enable X.M.P? Cuz I don't know if I should enable it. I don't want to break my computer. Please tell me if you need any more information.

what it the frequency of ram?

yes, in most cases you should. what is your cpu, motherboard and ram? in which slots did you place you ram?

3 minutes ago, Dr3bb2 said:

t. I don't want to break my computer

typically the worse case scenario is the oc is unstable and you just need to clear the cmos to boot again. so, it's pretty risk free imo to enable it.

1 minute ago, Abdullah Bhutta said:

what it the frequency of ram?

2666mhz. I have already set it to 2666mhz in the bios.

Just now, bmx6454 said:

typically the worse case scenario is the oc is unstable and you just need to clear the cmos to boot again. so, it's pretty risk free imo to enable it.

Alright

1 minute ago, boggy77 said:

yes, in most cases you should. what is your cpu, motherboard and ram? in which slots did you place you ram?

ASUS prime Z390-A, Intel I-9 9900k, TEAMGROUP Elite Plus DDR4 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) 2666M  DIMM_A1 and DIMM_B1

24 minutes ago, Dr3bb2 said:

I don't want to break my computer

why shouldn't you? it's 99.9999% safe and in case anything goes wrong you can always clear the cmos

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

48 minutes ago, Abdullah Bhutta said:

You must enable XMP, its totally worth it

It says this whenever I try to turn it on.

20201019_120459.jpg

Trick question really. On my Intel system, I have not had an issue once running XMP.

On my AMD system, enabling it results in power no POST. I have to manually set the timings to match what my CPU and Motherboard support which isn't as fast as the XMP profile on the RAM says. (3200mhz XMP, max supported by this system is 2933 and I have to manually set it).

At the end of the day, you won't brick your system if you enable XMP. At worst it won't boot until you clear CMOS and start again, or maybe your system will take longer to boot the first time you set XMP as the motherboard trains itself for the new speeds. Other than that it is totally safe to enable.

Whether you should or not is a different story. I mean I'm all for performance increases where ever you can get them, but if this system isn't doing anything crazy like say an HTPC or just a web browser, then you can probably ignore XMP entirely.

And sidenote, enabling XMP voids Intel Warranty, so if you ever have to RMA your CPU, be sure to say you never used XMP ;)

8 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

Trick question really. On my Intel system, I have not had an issue once running XMP.

On my AMD system, enabling it results in power no POST. I have to manually set the timings to match what my CPU and Motherboard support which isn't as fast as the XMP profile on the RAM says. (3200mhz XMP, max supported by this system is 2933 and I have to manually set it).

At the end of the day, you won't brick your system if you enable XMP. At worst it won't boot until you clear CMOS and start again, or maybe your system will take longer to boot the first time you set XMP as the motherboard trains itself for the new speeds. Other than that it is totally safe to enable.

Whether you should or not is a different story. I mean I'm all for performance increases where ever you can get them, but if this system isn't doing anything crazy like say an HTPC or just a web browser, then you can probably ignore XMP entirely.

And sidenote, enabling XMP voids Intel Warranty, so if you ever have to RMA your CPU, be sure to say you never used XMP ;)

Alright, I'm not going to enable it, because I don't want to void Intels warranty. I do not have enough money to replace a cpu.

Just now, Dr3bb2 said:

Alright, I'm not going to enable it, because I don't want to void Intels warranty. I do not have enough money to replace a cpu.

I mean, I wouldn't worry about that too much. Just something to be aware of if you ever have to send the CPU in for RMA / Warranty claim. IF they ask you if you used XMP, just say no... AFAIK they won't be able to tell otherwise.

Also, I can count on my hand how many genuinely bad CPUs I have ever experienced on my hand. Honestly almost any other part of the system will die first unless you are doing some crazy isssh with it.

2 hours ago, Dr3bb2 said:

Gamers' Nexus did their own "under cover" investigation on this...about X.M.P. and Intel's warranty.

They called Intel's Customer Support (multiple times, different Intel reps) about a dead CPU, and enabling X.M.P.

Basically, Intel will still replace / warranty the CPU.

I had to RMA my $500 i7-6800K earlier this year -- RMA ended up being a full refund.

They asked if X.M.P. was enabled or not, and I went with the honest route, and said yes.

Told me the copy-paste enabling X.M.P. voids warranty...but they accepted it anyways.

So....

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

For the first time in a long time I'm setting it to AUTO. Because I don't see much performance difference in my ryzen build. 2400mhz. 

12 hours ago, Bad5ector said:

So.. You're running 1st gen Ryzen, which are notorious for their memory compatibility issues. (the sloppier the timings, the less compatible) This was partially fixed with the 2nd gen, and completely fixed with the 3000 series.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

6 hours ago, BTGbullseye said:

So.. You're running 1st gen Ryzen,

Is a 2400g first gen? Didn't think that was the case. Not sure what your point is though regardless. I still can't run DOCP on my HTPC lol.

Edit: you are right, it is definitely first gen Zen. But my point is still the same, I can't just flip on DOCP (XMP) and call it a day.

14 hours ago, Bad5ector said:

Is a 2400g first gen? Didn't think that was the case.

Yes, it is.

Not sure what your point is though regardless. I still can't run DOCP on my HTPC lol.

If you upgrade to a Zen 2 CPU, that problem will go away.

Edit: you are right, it is definitely first gen Zen. But my point is still the same, I can't just flip on DOCP (XMP) and call it a day.

That's because you're using low quality RAM in a system that has a CPU that's extremely sensitive to RAM quality.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

32 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

Why would I want to? I'm not posting here saying PLS help me get my RAM at X speed? I was simply trying to make a point that XMP doesn't always work.  And I think you are doing nothing but reinforcing that statement.

For my HTPC that spends the majority of the time turned off because I switched to an Nvidia Shield I would not invest in Zen 2 just so I could enable DOCP. That would be absolutely absurd. Maybe if I decide to repurpose the system for something else in the future I may consider it.

On 10/19/2020 at 10:36 AM, Dr3bb2 said:

They will only know of you tell them fyi

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

2 hours ago, BTGbullseye said:

Yes, it is.

That's because you're using low quality RAM in a system that has a CPU that's extremely sensitive to RAM quality.

Not necessarily. Friends 3800x x570 tuff wouldn't work on a corsair 3200mhz kit xmp without manual settings

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 minute ago, Mister Woof said:

Not necessarily. Friends 3800x x570 tuff wouldn't work on a corsair 3200mhz kit xmp without manual settings

Which kit? The worse the quality of the chips, the harder it is to get it to work. Also, XMP settings can be wrong.

13 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

Which kit? The worse the quality of the chips, the harder it is to get it to work. Also, XMP settings can be wrong.

Was a corsair lpx. Probably sk hynix junk

2 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

Was a corsair lpx. Probably sk hynix junk

Yeah, LPX is notorious for its incompatibility with Ryzen.