cooling a 3800x/t with hyper 212 black?

hollyh88

so has anyone tried to do this? :) cant really find many videos on it. probably because its pretty eh. special. 
and if so. have you tried overclocking? :)

what are the temps? 

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

Just now, hollyh88 said:

so has anyone tried to do this? :) cant really find many videos on it. probably because its pretty eh. special. 

what are the temps? 

do you already have the cooler or are you planning on buying it?

1 minute ago, ZonalThrone said:

do you already have the cooler or are you planning on buying it?

as my specs list below. i have it and am using it. but im gathering information in different sub forums to see what i should go for next with my pc. and the 3800x or 3800xt (11 bucks more currently) is on my list now ::) and i would like to know what perf people see with that cooler and cpu.

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

I'm interested too, i've been looking and from what i've seen overclocking won't be a good idea but i think it would be fine for normal use. 

8 minutes ago, ZonalThrone said:

I'm interested too, i've been looking and from what i've seen overclocking won't be a good idea but i think it would be fine for normal use. 

currently cooling my overclocked 8086k with a black edition, the 3800X would fare well with a 212 black

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

15 minutes ago, hollyh88 said:

what are the temps? 

9 minutes ago, ZonalThrone said:

Temps on the 3800 shouldnt be far off of the XT

https://pcpartpicker.com/builds/by_part/qryV3C#h=196660

Was not able to find a 3800XT using any air cooler other than a Dark Base Pr0 4 though. That's not to say it's needed, it's just what people typically pair with it because they "wanna be safe" or "overkill" or have "headroom". 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just now, ZonalThrone said:

ive seen some videos where they cool a 3900x with it or simular and it seems to be holding up so idk

PC: 

Looking at the 3800 TDP and the max temp Id say a 212 black would do. I know folks ran the OG 212 on 130w CPU back in the day. AS for the temps or head room, I could not say.

9 minutes ago, ausham said:

Looking at the 3800 TDP and the max temp Id say a 212 black would do. I know folks ran the OG 212 on 130w CPU back in the day. AS for the temps or head room, I could not say.

OG 212 non+ with notFlat heatpipes on the die...
2600K 4.8Ghz 125w+ easy win (sub90*c Max, 75-80Avg), only when chasing higher did the voltage needs go crazy and even slightly beefier coolers would strugglebus (load Maxtemps) at those volts.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

11 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

currently cooling my overclocked 8086k with a black edition, the 3800X would fare well with a 212 black

Soo overclocking shouldnt be an issue? What about the 3800xt since it can draw more power. 🤔

PC: 

35 minutes ago, hollyh88 said:

Soo overclocking shouldnt be an issue? What about the 3800xt since it can draw more power. 🤔

Overclocking will be an issue with any cooler if you go too far. Reasonable overclocking with 3000-series ryzen 8-core will draw about the same power as oc'd 2000-series 6-core.

18 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

Overclocking will be an issue with any cooler if you go too far. Reasonable overclocking with 3000-series ryzen 8-core will draw about the same power as oc'd 2000-series 6-core.

So according to you. The temps should be around the ones I'm seeing with my 2600x at a constant 1.4 volts? And under max load? 

PC: 

1 minute ago, hollyh88 said:

So according to you. The temps should be around the ones I'm seeing with my 2600x at a constant 1.4 volts? And under max load? 

Not the same as its 7nm but still reasonable and under 80C. And you can oc any cpu to over 100C if you go insane with voltages.

13 hours ago, hollyh88 said:

what are the temps? 

I cooled my r7 3800x for the first 2 months of having it with a hyper 212 evo but found that it ran close to 90 degrees so switched to a darkrock pro 4

It will cope - think it is the same TDP as the Wraith RGB (stock cooler for the 3800x) but the larger fan does not need to run as fast and in theory should be more quiet.

Matthew Gilbride

34 minutes ago, Matt1632 said:

I cooled my r7 3800x for the first 2 months of having it with a hyper 212 evo but found that it ran close to 90 degrees so switched to a darkrock pro 4

It will cope - think it is the same TDP as the Wraith RGB (stock cooler for the 3800x) but the larger fan does not need to run as fast and in theory should be more quiet.

Was it the hyper 212 evo or hyper 212 black edition though?

Also keep in mind I live in the Netherlands and it gets around 13- 15 degrees c here now. + I have a pc case with 3 front fans 1 back fan and a push pull config on the hyper 212 black edition. 🤔

PC: 

51 minutes ago, Jeppes said:

Not the same as its 7nm but still reasonable and under 80C. And you can oc any cpu to over 100C if you go insane with voltages.

My 2600x is when gaming around 61 degrees. And when under max load like cinebench r20 it gets around 73 degrees. But the thermal paste on it is now already a bit old. Maybe like 1 and a half years orso 🤔😂 

PC: 

If it helps, I have a 212 evo rgb on a 3600x.  Idles in the 30s and maxes out around 73c.  

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

1 hour ago, miagisan said:

If it helps, I have a 212 evo rgb on a 3600x.  Idles in the 30s and maxes out around 73c.  

it does thanks :) the black should perform a bit better than yours. how many fans do you have in your case?

PC: 

17 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Temps on the 3800 shouldnt be far off of the XT

https://pcpartpicker.com/builds/by_part/qryV3C#h=196660

Was not able to find a 3800XT using any air cooler other than a Dark Base Pr0 4 though. That's not to say it's needed, it's just what people typically pair with it because they "wanna be safe" or "overkill" or have "headroom". 

so you think a 3800xt would be fine with a hyper 212 black? :) 

PC: 

2 minutes ago, hollyh88 said:

so you think a 3800xt would be fine with a hyper 212 black? :) 

At stock yes. If you try to push it with an OC, or you're doing a lot of CPU intensive tasks constantly and aern't comfortable with the temps it sits at, then consider getting a larger cooler. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

52 minutes ago, hollyh88 said:

it does thanks :) the black should perform a bit better than yours. how many fans do you have in your case?

Mine is the black rgb version so it would be fairly compatible.   I have 3x intake 120mm and 2xexhaust 120mm (all arctic p12 pwm pst fans)

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

3 hours ago, miagisan said:

Mine is the black rgb version so it would be fairly compatible.   I have 3x intake 120mm and 2xexhaust 120mm (all arctic p12 pwm pst fans)

Ohh okay that's good to know. 😊 so it will probably be a bit hotter but cooler when gaming I assume?

So that's good news! 

PC: 

4 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

At stock yes. If you try to push it with an OC, or you're doing a lot of CPU intensive tasks constantly and aern't comfortable with the temps it sits at, then consider getting a larger cooler. 

How about ctr with it. Since ctr does oc with lower voltages in most cases. Would it then not be cooled enough by the 212 black edition?

PC: 

17 minutes ago, hollyh88 said:

How about ctr with it. Since ctr does oc with lower voltages in most cases. Would it then not be cooled enough by the 212 black edition?

Only way to know for sure is to try it out yourself. 

Remember: Dont buy anything until you're sure you have to. The best options are sometimes free (and since you already have the 212 black, that's your free option)

On 10/16/2020 at 8:51 PM, TVwazhere said:

Only way to know for sure is to try it out yourself.

i decided to wait till the whole far cry 6 deal was going so i bought it now. will be testing and seeing it tomorrow :) will reply with an update then. 
the 2600x at 1.4v with 4.1 overclock takes i think 125w if i see it correctly and gets around 74c at a max cinebench run. do keep in mind tho that the thermal paste is pretty old on it already and well it is running at 4.1 if i can get the 3800xt to run at lower voltages and taking the improvements they mad from ryzen 2000 to ryzen 3000 i think it should be okay :) but i will know it for sure tomorrow!

oh ps it runs around 61-63 degrees when gaming so thats pretty cool :) 

PC: