HELP Please !! ANYONE, EVERYONE ?

3 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

I donˋt get it. The PC was already awesome 

The one the OP is currently using or what he brought his younger son? The other kid gotten the better system for gaming.

This is what I would be building instead:

AMD or Intel 8 Core CPU. Air Cooled nice HSF.

32GB of RAM.

AMD or NVIDIA dGPU w/ 8GB.

Two SATA 2TB SSD.

Good air flow case.

Keep the same 30" 2560x1600 display or upgrade to large 4k one.

Nice Mechanical Keyboard along with Mouse.

Better newer office chair...

I'll bet you guys that my build will came out far cheaper then $20,000+.

10 hours ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

So there's major diminishing returns from adding more radiators. The smaller the difference in temperature between the air and the fluid in the loop will lower the efficiency of the cooling system, more radiators doesn't mean cooler temps after you get to a certain difference in temperature. 

2x480mm is definitely going to be more than enough for the cards, there's a lot of other factors that you can tune to get better temps as well. Flow rate through the loop to add dwell time for the air to do its job transferring heat from the rad fins, gpu block mounting and thermal paste watts/m*Kelvin, thermal pads for ram and power delivery cooling. Lots to tune. 

There's also the overclock to take into account, the gpus will all run at the overclocked frequency of the slowest card so even if some can go further they won't go any faster to stay synced. 

Rough math is 150watts of cooling per 120mm of radiator so you are conservatively in the 1200watts of cooling range just for the cards. 

Thank you again Ghost,

I think I'm considering the 2x480....open damn loop.... not sure yet... 

Do you think an open loop with 2 480's can out cool 4 360's, which each video card getting its own rad ?

I cant find any info anywhere that compares the 2 options...

9 hours ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

SLI civilian grade is dead, there are plenty of quatros and titans running NvLink and software links to leverage the extra gpu horsepower. Once 8k becomes mainstream (in like 5-10 years) and the processes stop having large enough gains in performance or require exotic materials to cool properly SLI in some form will make a comeback. look at AMD's chips 4 CCXs is just processor SLI to increase production value. We'll see this either within chips or as multi chip cards again sooner or later. 

SLI is gonna make a comeback, you heard it here first !! LOL

For the games I'm playing SLI is a must have (the big one being world of warcraft) .... I think I'm starting to sound like a promoter for Blizzard

9 hours ago, dilpickle said:

For those talking about RTX 3090 SLI please note that it only supports 14 games. It is NOT the same SLI we've had before.

I would not recommend 3090 SLI to anyone no matter how much money you had. Unless you really really care about those few games or you are a hardcore benchmarker.

I could not afford (2) 3090's.... I honestly considered it but I already had 2 titan xp's which are amazing already...  

but I really really care about the game time with my sons ❤️ I will be Hardcore benching this bad boy when its done :) 

6 minutes ago, Mark MacDiarmid said:

Thank you again Ghost,

I think I'm considering the 2x480....open damn loop.... not sure yet... 

Do you think an open loop with 2 480's can out cool 4 360's, which each video card getting its own rad ?

I cant find any info anywhere that compares the 2 options...

Because very few people will have anything like this setup.

3 minutes ago, Mark MacDiarmid said:

SLI is gonna make a comeback, you heard it here first !! LOL

For the games I'm playing SLI is a must have (the big one being world of warcraft) .... I think I'm starting to sound like a promoter for Blizzard

No SLI is not going to make a comeback at all. Even Nvidia is removing this feature from Consumer level dGPU if they have not already. I doubt that WoW even has support. 

I think we're a little off topic at this point... 

ONLY a couple of people have actually answered my questions, and to them I salute.

I would think a place like LTT would be a great place to ask, I'm a big fan of Linus... and I really didn't think I would have to defend my life decisions to a bunch of randoms...

a little common decency is what I was expecting.. I'm naïve, what was I thinking ?

Oh and yes Mark MacDiarmid is my real name, I'm not hiding behind any screen names.... I'm proud of who I am and what I've already done in this life, I dont need anyone "stroking my ego" but thanks!

8 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

Quadros and Titans will get it for certain tasks, yes.  Gaming is not one of them.   Nvidia isn't going to keep supporting it on the driver level, and devs have rarely cared enough to support it.   Heck, remember when DX12 came out and we were supposed to be able to do odd hybrid combos for multi-gpu?   The reason that never happened is because devs never added it from what I remember.  It's as dead as PhysX and Hairworks.

My 2 Titan XP's are faster then my son's 2080ti in "The Division 2" so to say gaming isn't one of them...?? I think is just wrong... I do know that Nvidia has stated they are putting it on the game developers to use sli.. we'll see what happens.

But for now... it works great for what I've seen.

I do remember PhysX (worked great in "City of Heroes") but I don't know about Hairworks... What is that >?

1 hour ago, Mark MacDiarmid said:

I think we're a little off topic at this point... 

ONLY a couple of people have actually answered my questions, and to them I salute.

I would think a place like LTT would be a great place to ask, I'm a big fan of Linus... and I really didn't think I would have to defend my life decisions to a bunch of randoms...

a little common decency is what I was expecting.. I'm naïve, what was I thinking ?

Oh and yes Mark MacDiarmid is my real name, I'm not hiding behind any screen names.... I'm proud of who I am and what I've already done in this life, I dont need anyone "stroking my ego" but thanks!

What did you expect after you posted something silly such as a $20,000 Rig. It has parts that no hardcore gamer will build using those components.

For that matter, you come across as a person who lacks Common Sense who didn't even do their research.

8 hours ago, badreg said:

This thread is gold.

And I mean this in the nicest possible way: I hope OP's teenage sons don't pick up any bad habits from their dad. It's one thing to bond over a shared passion for gaming. It's another to irrationally accumulate computer hardware on a limited income, especially when said hardware is not even suited for the stated goal.

Thanks Badreg,

As for my Bad Habits...they have entirely new ones but that's ok I still love them.

I have 2 sons :)

Good things come to those that wait... when It's done we shall see how it runs... LOTS of pics of benchmarks coming...

as for my stated goal... I was trying to just give an idea of what I was doing with our computers... truth be told, we do a ton of stuff on our pc's not just games, but I'm not gonna bore you with the details of my life any more, it just seems to feed the REAL trolls....

But honestly I live in a hotbed for COVID worst part of the city of Ottawa, we dont go out to dinner, we dont go to movies, we dont go to the public pools, we dont even go to the museums anymore, no funzone, no arcades, no going to other cities for the weekend. My kids dont even come with me to get groceries anymore (which of one of the most fun times we've had). SO we game...and board games too... It's not a perfect life but its all we have right now.

We are all healthy and plan on staying that way!

8 hours ago, dilpickle said:

There is little chance any developer is going to spend time and money on a feature that only benefits those with $3000 video cards. Especially when most games are console ports.

And I say this as someone who always defended SLI whenever anyone said no good games support it. That wasn't true in my experience until now. 

I've had SLI with 680, 980, and 1080 Ti. I was planning to do it with 3090 too until I saw that post from Nvidia.

WHOOT a SLI fanboy, 

I just knew I wasn't alone!!!

I had a 3 way sli with 680's too :) it was crazy hot though my board would hit high 90's even in the 100's (which is when games crashed)

6 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

Which gives the developer a lack of motivation, and that's where the 0 cares for it comes from.   Even when they try it's usually a buggy mess.   I've run several crossfires and slis, and I gave up on it due to the amount of crashing.

Interesting, 

I've never had a game crash on me due to my sli, like EVER.

Which games we're you playing when they crashed ? Just curious ...

2 minutes ago, Mark MacDiarmid said:

someone who loves their kids ?

How old is this kid anyway?

1 minute ago, Mark MacDiarmid said:

Interesting, 

I've never had a game crash on me due to my sli, like EVER.

Which games we're you playing when they crashed ? Just curious ...

Because you are only playing ONE game?

29 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Because very few people will have anything like this setup.

No SLI is not going to make a comeback at all. Even Nvidia is removing this feature from Consumer level dGPU if they have not already. I doubt that WoW even has support. 

WOW does support it, I even tested it in the BETA for shadowlands... PIC's TO FOLLOW

2 minutes ago, Mark MacDiarmid said:

OK what's not to believe?

I am on low income,  (I save and find good deals)

I have a Threadripper (not fast enough)

and I do want to play WOW on an awesome Ultra wide, NOT claiming its 8k... I said "almost" 8k... I even posted a pic of my wow settings... 

so what exactly is the problem ?

I think most peoples problem is that the build is extremely ill suited for the task at hand. They gave you many builds that would be both fast and cheaper, but you are dead set on making this work. If you said this was for protein folding or machine learning, less people would be trying to steer you in a different direction.

1 minute ago, Mark MacDiarmid said:

WOW does support it, I even tested it in the BETA for shadowlands... PIC's TO FOLLOW

What about the Released versions of WoW? We can put anything in the BETA but removed in the Release. Why do you think They call that The BETA?

3 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

What about the Released versions of WoW? We can put anything in the BETA but removed in the Release. Why do you think They call that The BETA?

Pre patch is tomorrow... so we'll know then...

In the BETA, the systems are all in place already... the developers are going over game content not the backbone of the game... that is already done.

4 minutes ago, Mark MacDiarmid said:

Pre patch is tomorrow... so we'll know then...

In the BETA, the systems are all in place already... the developers are going over game content not the backbone of the game... that is already done.

It is not at all unusual to Remove planned features from the Release that was tested in the Beta.

6 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

I think most peoples problem is that the build is extremely ill suited for the task at hand. They gave you many builds that would be both fast and cheaper, but you are dead set on making this work. If you said this was for protein folding or machine learning, less people would be trying to steer you in a different direction.

I am dead set on making this work, for a bunch of reasons... But I don't think it's extremely ill suited. 

I know there are a ton of options for cheaper.. and some even faster... like a 9900K or the new 10 series but for our family I wanted something that I know will be better then I have now.

AND there is no way that the new pc isn't going to be faster then the old one... I could be wrong, time will tell.

Just now, Mark MacDiarmid said:

I am dead set on making this work, for a bunch of reasons... But I don't think it's extremely ill suited. 

I know there are a ton of options for cheaper.. and some even faster... like a 9900K or the new 10 series but for our family I wanted something that I know will be better then I have now.

AND there is no way that the new pc isn't going to be faster then the old one... I could be wrong, time will tell.

You're right in the new one will be faster. It might just be a wiser and more intelligent choice for your life to invest 10k into your future (stocks or whatever) (and the future of your kids) and the rest into a new pc, which would still be plenty for what you want to achieve simply through listening to the advice the people give you.

The threadripper and amount of ram is the most brutal waste of money I've seen in years for this application, not to speak of trying to make quad SLI work in more than one game. 

Why? Mainly playing a game that is brutally single-core dependant on a processor that... Is known for many threads, not good single-core performance... It's Threadripper, not Singlethreadripper.

128gb of ram that will give you less performance in your game just to be able to put it onto a ramdrive that makes the game... Load a few milliseconds faster than a fast NVME drive would.

Quad SLI that... If you find one game that scales the third card somewhat okay I'm surprised, let alone the 4th one. Also that won't be long lasted. As others have stated, SLI and Crossfire will die out. Why?

It made sense back in a day. Buy two cheap cards, throw them together and get almost linear scaling. Many did it, many could afford it. Well supported because of many users.

Today: SLI isn't a thing on lower end cards, only on top of the shelf products that run the games at high resolution with perfectly playable fps already. Basically noone will put two of them together, let alone 4. Noone will support it because of a few hundred users in the world using it on that game.

Conclusion: Better invest the money you're saving by following the tips the people give you and spend them on some AMD stock and be happy while playing your game

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

15 minutes ago, Mark MacDiarmid said:

I would highly encourage you to go with Ryzen 5000 series CPUs (after benchmarks are out of course) over a threadripper CPU due to the higher frequency and IPC that the 5000 series will have over the threadrippers. I haven't read the entire thread but most of it seems to be "you iz troll" kind of posts so I've skipped most of it and if I missed something let me know. It's been many years since I played WoW myself but I don't remember it being really great at taking advantage of many (dozens) of cores/threads so if you want a high core count/thread CPU the 5950X might be a better buy just because it's still high core count and high frequency giving you the best of what threadripper offers (to an extent in terms of core count) and higher single threaded performance compared to what a threadripper CPU will offer as well.

SLI is going away and will have to be implemented by the software devs so it's going to be more game dependent than it is now, you say WoW supports it on DX11 but not DX12 which I find odd. I hope, if you're investing in dual 3090s per system, that they implement it well since that seems to be the main game but I would encourage you to really ask if you need dual GPUs in SLI for all of your workloads, not just gaming. Think about future support as well, if Nvidia isn't going to develop SLI profiles then you have to hope and pray the devs will. It might make a comeback but since the cost is so high and so few people even use SLI today unless there is an easy button I suspect most devs will abandon it completely.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

-Locked for cleaning Will Remain Locked-

I believe this thread has run it's course. @Mark MacDiarmid has gotten considerable advice on how to build an epic gaming setup for their kids. Due to things brought up by both commenters and the Author alike, allowing further discussion on this matter will only cause warnings to be handed out and we'd rather avoid that if possible. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25