Dell’s Most Expensive Laptop

Have you ever gone on a computer website and cranked everything in the configurator? Well we did, and then asked Dell to send it to us.

Check our the Precision 7750: https://geni.us/7DfQ

Buy Dell XPS 15 On Amazon (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/HR0Apu

On Newegg (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/6di7KXa

On B&H (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/QOnpZ

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

9 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Have you ever gone on a computer website and cranked everything in the configurator? Well we did, and then asked Dell to send it to us.

Eurocom out of the question for the beefiest config... ?

dell: are you challenging me?

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

Honestly, I have the same feeling as Linus when it comes to that unpopulated M.2 slot... Like when one goes for the max config, there shouldn't be anything left on the table...
(Also, in terms of semi-portable "work stations", I have seen the occasional blade center in a pelican case before. Sometimes with a flash storage box or two + UPS as well...)

Other than that, an interesting laptop. Though. a bit outside of most peoples price budget.

That part, made me laugh so much. Especially considering the recent thread attempting to defend motion blur, just because devs put some "work" into that crap.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

13 minutes ago, Nystemy said:

Honestly, I have the same feeling as Linus when it comes to that unpopulated M.2 slot... Like when one goes for the max config, there shouldn't be anything left on the table...
(Also, in terms of semi-portable "work stations", I have seen the occasional blade center in a pelican case before. Sometimes with a flash storage box or two + UPS as well...)

Other than that, an interesting laptop. Though. a bit outside of most peoples price budget.

It's like when you get the highest loaded out trim of a car and there are still blank switches on the centre console. How much more am I supposed to spend to get rid of those Volkswagen?!

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

4 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

It's like when you get the highest loaded out trim of a car and there are still blank switches on the centre console. How much more am I supposed to spend to get rid of those Volkswagen?!

Well, in terms of cars, I can see it as more "acceptable", since the interior designer might do their job long before all features of the car is actually established.
And thereby puts in a "few too many buttons" than ending up having to bodge in more after the fact.

But an M.2 slot is a totally different thing, like Dell could have just put in another SSD there....

They should run it against a Macbook on battery because what's the point on benchmarking a laptop on wall power, defeats the object. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

19 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

They should run it against a Macbook on battery because what's the point on benchmarking a laptop on wall power, defeats the object. 

It doesn't, because you can still take your laptop to different places with wall power more easily than you can take your desktop with peripherals around.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

4 minutes ago, TomvanWijnen said:

It doesn't, because you can still take your laptop to different places with wall power more easily than you can take your desktop with peripherals around.

Yes it does because if you don't have access to a plug or more specifically one capable of 240W  you're screwed, which when travelling most sockets are only able to provide 75W or less so what's the point?

I see the new benchmark - The Simon's Challenge. Is it hard to reproduce? I would love to test performance of my machines with it ;)

Main System: 2 x Intel Xeon Platinum 8268, 384GB DDR4 2933 ECC, 2 x NVidia 2080 Ti FE, 2 x Samsung Enterprise 3.2TB NVME PCIe Gen.3x8 SSD, custom water cooling.

1 hour ago, Lord Vile said:

Yes it does because if you don't have access to a plug or more specifically one capable of 240W  you're screwed, which when travelling most sockets are only able to provide 75W or less so what's the point?

Uh you don't always have to use all of the power? And there's still a battery? My laptop with a 150 W charger also works with a 65 W charger. I don't always need it to do 150 W, I also often just need it for "office tasks". I've also never seen a socket that's not able to provide at least 240 W, except maybe in some trains. 

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

36 minutes ago, TomvanWijnen said:

Uh you don't always have to use all of the power? And there's still a battery? My laptop with a 150 W charger also works with a 65 W charger. I don't always need it to do 150 W, I also often just need it for "office tasks". I've also never seen a socket that's not able to provide at least 240 W, except maybe in some trains. 

You don't get the performance unless you're feeding it the full power. 

All trains and planes sockets are under 100W.

It's a worksation type laptop, if you can't get real work done without a power outlet you might as well not bother.

23 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

It's a worksation type laptop, if you can't get real work done without a power outlet you might as well not bother.

I have a workstation type laptop. I don't always need it to be able to perform high powered tasks. Even so, on battery it can still perform moderately powered tasks. Still, when I'm not home, I still need the higher performance, so I can't live with just a powerful desktop.

According to the information I could find, train sockets here are 150 W. I've never even seen a power socket on a plane, so I'd be happy if it was even 50 W. Also, the battery and power socket can work together. If you're supplied 100 W, you can have (part of) the rest come from the battery. Yes, it will drain, but it's better than nothing (for the rare times that you have a low power socket).

43 minutes ago, TomvanWijnen said:

I have a workstation type laptop. I don't always need it to be able to perform high powered tasks. Even so, on battery it can still perform moderately powered tasks. Still, when I'm not home, I still need the higher performance, so I can't live with just a powerful desktop.

According to the information I could find, train sockets here are 150 W. I've never even seen a power socket on a plane, so I'd be happy if it was even 50 W. Also, the battery and power socket can work together. If you're supplied 100 W, you can have (part of) the rest come from the battery. Yes, it will drain, but it's better than nothing (for the rare times that you have a low power socket).

Ignoring the fact you can't draw that much from the battery and it would drain so fast you'd literally get 30 mins if you were lucky. 100Wh is the biggest battery you can have in a laptop with a 230W load that's what 25 mins off battery? minus the 75W you'd get from a socket you're looking at just under 40.

9 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

So if subject A takes 45 min to drain the battery and subject B 90 min, but A is 2 times faster, what's the better laptop?

I work for a company that writes software (geological modeling) for the geothermal, mining, oil and gas industry. That laptop does not even come close the the compute power needed to run even a basic oil and gas simulation this simulations tend to run on large super compute clusters and at best take weeks if not months to complete. 

For an example that it is a good option for would be a gold or copper mine were the mine might be very deep to the time it takes to go from the bottom of the mine to the surface is in the order of 5 to 10 hours (due to altitude sickness if you raise your altitude to fast you need to take a break). In these cases they will blast the end of a tunnel every 30minutes then they will look at how the vain (small slither of crystallized rock) that contains the orr (gold, silver, ... etc) and they need to update the compute model the surrounding geology so that they can (within the 30minute turn around) make a educated guess what direction to blast when they extend the tunnel. They could run networking in the mine (and do) but due to all of the heavy machinery you cant depend on having a high speed connection stay up reliably without a truck cutting your network cable. 

If you blast in the wrong direction you can't simply just go back and blast in another direction as your tunnel might become to large and collapse so you need to backfill this takes days to solidify so mining in that part of the mine is stalled and it costs a lot. 

7 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

Depends on your use case but yes for most pro-users (that need a laptop and not a workstation) drawing more than 100W at the wall is a big issue. But Dell is not expecting to sell lots of these so there is likely a market for these users in industrial settings were drawing 250W for a laptop is not a big issue. These users likely have a thin and light (or iPad) for using when traveling to and from a work site since this thing is also way way way to heavy/large to put on the tray table in front of you. But is it for sure a very limited market.

7 hours ago, TomvanWijnen said:

Also, the battery and power socket can work together.

Unfortunately due to how Current limiting works if you want to do it without a fire risk the only easy (cheap) way to do it is to hard cut the power if more than a given current is drawn. So it's not like the socket will just give you 100W and you can use the battery to top that up, if the power plug attempts to draw more than 100W typically these sockets will cut out (for a period fo a few minutes) and not provide any power at all.  So unless the laptop has a mode you can set the charger to you just cant use it in those sockets they will just out within less that a second of attaching a load.

I recently had the opportunity to play around with a Precision 7510.

It's a laptop that I never knew existed in the sense that it has a HQ mobile processor plus a touchscreen. 

11 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

Ignoring the fact you can't draw that much from the battery and it would drain so fast you'd literally get 30 mins if you were lucky. 100Wh is the biggest battery you can have in a laptop with a 230W load that's what 25 mins off battery? minus the 75W you'd get from a socket you're looking at just under 40.

You don't always have to run at 100% utilisation. I can use my laptop in a way that it's empty in a few hours, or lasts literally more than a full day of working. The power is there when I need it, which is not always, only sometimes.

4 hours ago, hishnash said:

Unfortunately due to how Current limiting works if you want to do it without a fire risk the only easy (cheap) way to do it is to hard cut the power if more than a given current is drawn. So it's not like the socket will just give you 100W and you can use the battery to top that up, if the power plug attempts to draw more than 100W typically these sockets will cut out (for a period fo a few minutes) and not provide any power at all.  So unless the laptop has a mode you can set the charger to you just cant use it in those sockets they will just out within less that a second of attaching a load.

Ah, that's a pity. Though I do wonder whether it's true - I've heard (on this forum) of laptops that can't handle the power draw of their components with the included charger, and that using the battery when in fully powered tasks is actually normal and intended. (I've also seen it with all of my smartphones; they can also use their battery while charging, if they use more power than the charger can provide.)

After writing this, I just realised that you were talking about the outlets, not the laptop itself. Whoopsie. Still, I can use my 150 W charger to charge a friend's laptop that came with a 65 W charger just fine. I've never come across power limited outlets myself, so I can't speak from experience. I do know that I have USB C chargers that can provide a wide range of outputs, so I wouldn't be surprised if laptop chargers can do the same (though I'm not sure, I couldn't find anything about it when googling).

4 hours ago, TomvanWijnen said:

After writing this, I just realised that you were talking about the outlets, not the laptop itself. Whoopsie. Still, I can use my 150 W charger to charge a friend's laptop that came with a 65 W charger just fine. I've never come across power limited outlets myself, so I can't speak from experience. I do know that I have USB C chargers that can provide a wide range of outputs, so I wouldn't be surprised if laptop chargers can do the same (though I'm not sure, I couldn't find anything about it when googling).

Yer you could try to buy a charger that is limited to 100W power draw from the wall. That would then charge the laptop slower.