Google plans to start taking it's 30% cut from all in-app purchases

lazypc
10 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

I don't see any legal basis or requirement for there to be appropriate vetting if another app store were to be allowed on the IOS platform. Even if such a policy my be wise and a good policy for the Apple Store, it does not justify the absence of competition. In a hypothetical where a court does rule so, it does not justify the absence of side loading individual apps directly, without the use of a store.

Ultimately, Apples biggest problem is that the ONLY means for acquiring an app on their devices, is if it goes through the Apple Store. From my interpretation of antitrust laws, there is no justification for such a market to exist without government ownership or regulation. 

Legal? None currently. “Legal” and functional are not the same though.

you seem to want to make legal loophole games that break functionality.  Have fun with that.  The entirety of the phone buying public may well rise up and defy you. 

there are a few ways around that though.  Solve the functionality problem and the legal one will likely take care of itself.  The first one is show that the functionality never existed in the first place.  We know it basically doesn’t for Google. If it can be shown that it also doesn’t for Apple there is no defense.

Another would be to provide an alternative to the functionality.  That would be equally effective.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Welp.  Prepare for increased pricing boys.  Companies never eat these costs on their own.. they just pass them on-to the consumer.

9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Legal? None currently. “Legal” and functional are not the same though.

you seem to want to make legal loophole games that break functionality.  Have fun with that.  The entirety of the phone buying public may well rise up and defy you. 

This case isn't being argued under "functionality", it is an antitrust suit... So yes, I will have fun making antitrust law arguments in regards to an antirust legal case... As for yourself, enjoy making functionality arguments to a judge in a legal battle, I suppose?

Edit: Additionally, under Apple v. Pepper, Judge Kavanaugh penned the majority opinion stating that, "Our decision in Illinois Brick does not bar the consumers from suing Apple for Apple’s allegedly monopolistic conduct." Thus the Supreme Court intentionally and expressly allowed for future suits against Apple's monopolistic behavior regarding the App Store specifically... Essentially hinting that there is a legitimate case to be had there.

Source: https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/18pdf/17-204_bq7d.pdf?fbclid=IwAR0QuuhvZIU-4ssJtH0sA7jcw3e8qJfatuS3wKK30dc8uwLYjtg7rCnddEA

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

5 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

This case isn't being argued under "functionality", it is an antitrust suit... So yes, I will have fun making antitrust law arguments in regards to an antirust legal case... As for yourself, enjoy making functionality arguments to a judge in a legal battle, I suppose?

Edit: Additionally, under Apple v. Pepper, Judge Kavanaugh penned the majority opinion stating that, "Our decision in Illinois Brick does not bar the consumers from suing Apple for Apple’s allegedly monopolistic conduct." Thus the Supreme Court intentionally and expressly allowed for future suits against Apple's monopolistic behavior regarding the App Store specifically... Essentially hinting that there is a legitimate case to be had there.

Source: https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/18pdf/17-204_bq7d.pdf?fbclid=IwAR0QuuhvZIU-4ssJtH0sA7jcw3e8qJfatuS3wKK30dc8uwLYjtg7rCnddEA

Not sure if you didn’t read the rest of the reply because it was added later or are just ignoring it.  In any case some of those points are answered. From a purely legal perspective the antitrust case more or less is hopeless.  So hopeless an injunction wasn’t even granted.  It’s not even close. The only hope the anti-Apple group has at this point is functionality.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 9/29/2020 at 2:27 AM, RejZoR said:

I didn't find installing of APK's particularly annoying or complicated

The other day I wanted the older version of "ES file explore" that actually had working SMB 2.0 for my Note 8 so I looked for older apk files. Aptoide tricked me into installing itself but I'm not even mad. I'm impressed by the alternative app store. Maybe some big app like Floatplane could partner with one of the bigger alternative app stores and influence it into sounding and being less shady.

Linux, ever increasingly becoming the savior we all desire but will never get.

That face when Android is based on Linux.
giphy.gif.3caf27d1f3d72d33895f6adddaa03133.gif

Though, inb4 someone uses the non-google-fied open-source version of Android to make a better OS than iOS and Android (it won't happen)

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

38 minutes ago, PocketNerd said:

Linux, ever increasingly becoming the savior we all desire but will never get.

That face when Android is based on Linux.
giphy.gif.3caf27d1f3d72d33895f6adddaa03133.gif

Though, inb4 someone uses the non-google-fied open-source version of Android to make a better OS than iOS and Android (it won't happen)

People have tried.  Got pretty close.  The problem is money.  Just needs too many development dollars.

9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

People have tried.  Got pretty close.  The problem is money.  Just needs too many development dollars.

Exactly, Apple and Google are literally too big to compete with and thus they will never fail. All bow and worship are techno oligarchs!

This kind of shit reminds me of that Bojack Horseman episode where they declare that Billionaires are legally allowed to murder people because they're too rich to be punished.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

5 hours ago, PocketNerd said:

Exactly, Apple and Google are literally too big to compete with and thus they will never fail. All bow and worship are techno oligarchs!

This kind of shit reminds me of that Bojack Horseman episode where they declare that Billionaires are legally allowed to murder people because they're too rich to be punished.

Remember Nokia? And their absolute domination of market with Symbian? Yeah... Granted, Google and Apple are on a different level, but giants have fallen before.

17 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Remember Nokia? And their absolute domination of market with Symbian? Yeah... Granted, Google and Apple are on a different level, but giants have fallen before.

I dont remember, actually

1 hour ago, PocketNerd said:

I dont remember, actually

Maybe if you're 12 and you were born after it was already gone...

3 hours ago, RejZoR said:

There’s no one stopping someone making an android fork as a 3rd major OS, it is open source after all. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

2 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

There’s no one stopping someone making an android fork as a 3rd major OS, it is open source after all. 

Windows phone was quite the good alternative imo and see how that didn't work.

27 minutes ago, staticpage said:

That didn’t work because Microsoft was trying to be Apple, if they followed the android model it would be more successful, also basing your OS on android saves significant dev costs. 

2 hours ago, staticpage said:

Microsoft failed because they took the mobile space seriously way too late, and their licensing made it much more worth it for manufacturers to just go with Android instead.

2 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

That didn’t work because Microsoft was trying to be Apple, if they followed the android model it would be more successful, also basing your OS on android saves significant dev costs. 

And just makes it an Android clone without the app store everyone is familiar with... Reason why Apple/iOS works well. If you don't like Android, you're actually changing the ecosystem or system core and not just one launcher for another...

43 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

And just makes it an Android clone without the app store everyone is familiar with... Reason why Apple/iOS works well. If you don't like Android, you're actually changing the ecosystem or system core and not just one launcher for another...

Not really you can base it off the kernel and make it wildly different in a way that a launcher couldn't. 

9 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

Hey I'm curious what you mean by trying to be apple and not following the android model if you get a chance to go a little more in depth with it.

I had a windows phone and I did like it, but didnt pay as much attention to development so I'm all ears when it comes to understanding why it failed. Even though I have an opinion from my understanding and experience.

I might just be back after the last few years because Spez is an idiot and I'm making a point to start staying away from Reddit.

25 minutes ago, lazypc said:

Hey I'm curious what you mean by trying to be apple and not following the android model if you get a chance to go a little more in depth with it.

I had a windows phone and I did like it, but didnt pay as much attention to development so I'm all ears when it comes to understanding why it failed. Even though I have an opinion from my understanding and experience.

Apple went into iPhone with adapting MacOS to the phone. Microsoft bough the handset section of Nokia, made their own hardware and tried to adapt windows 10 to a phone. They were just too late, not nearly polished enough compared to more mature iOS and android. Just didn't have the features and hardware Apple had and just seemed like a Appe has iPod so we now have Zune, Apple has iPhone so we have windows mobile. Similar to the Apple has MacBook we have Surface going on right now. 

It won't be long before every manufacturer of pots will charge you 30% of the cost of the ingredients of each meal you're cooking in your pot --- or of the cost of the pot, whichever is more --- and of course, the manufacturer of the stove will charge you another 30%, and so on ...

On 10/1/2020 at 12:34 AM, RejZoR said:

Maybe if you're 12 and you were born after it was already gone...

30, actually.