fx 6300 or i3 4130? really confused!

Go to solution Solved by Opcode,

ok guys enough with the argue, i will pick an answer :) but can i get cheap motherboard for both cpus? and btw if i buy 6300 i will not overclock it ,because im worried will not work on a cheap mobo ,so its ok for me for not over clocking it , i just want to know if can i use a cheap motherboard and use fx 6300 or i3 4130 for gaming? does the performance will affect on it?

If you don't plan on overclocking go with the i3-4130, it's the better option. As for motherboards, look for something like the Gigabyte GA-H87M-D3H. You don't need the expensive Z87 chipset as you don't plan on overclocking. That is if you can find it from a supplier near you. If you need cheaper, don't be afraid to bump down to a H81 or B85 chipset. The CPU itself is the important part for gaming performance, and stock vs stock the i3-4130 wins by a long shot.

A side question I have is what hardware do you already own? And what hardware do you need to buy for your new build?

hi, ihave a budget of $500 for buying a new rig this april , but im really confused to pick cpu for my gaming rig , my 2 choices for a $120 dollar cpu was a amd fx 6300 or an i3 4130.

what do you think should i buy because a lot people says the 6300 would be better but other doesn't , 

plss help !.. thanks 

btw i will pair it with a r7 260x , and im not planning on upgrading in the future . i just want to buy whats the best for gaming .

AMD FX 6300

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

I agree with @JAKEBAB , look into the 760k

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

I approve of the FX-6300. Solid CPU all around for gaming and even video-editing.

If you can find what ^ said, a 760K would also be a viable option.

yeah get a 760k and put the money saved into a better gpu. a 270 or a 280 when it comes out will be beasts

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

thanks guys , but the athlon x4 series was so hard to find here in my country , so i have to go with the fx or i3 ,ok then i have to go with the fx 6300 , but it is ok if i use the stock cooler for a few months? because i dont have any funds for that by this time

thanks guys , but the athlon x4 series was so hard to find here in my country , so i have to go with the fx or i3 ,ok then i have to go with the fx 6300 , but it is ok if i use the stock cooler for a few months? because i dont have any funds for that by this time

Yeah as long you dont care about sound (because the AMD stock cooler is kinda loud), or overclocking, because you should never overclock with a stock cooler.

Case: Corsair Carbdie 330R Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Asus Z97-A CPU: AMD FX-6300 i5 4690K 3.5 GHZ + 212 EVO GPU: ASUS GTX 760 DirectCUII Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb (2x4gb) HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M
Monitor: AOC Q2963pm 29'' 21:9 IPS Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Mousepad: Mionix Sargas 320 Headset: HyperX Cloud Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 RGBIKEA Headset/Headphone Holder

i3-4130 stomps every FX processor in gaming including the FX-8350 (not all the time but in most cases). This is a no brainier, regardless to as much as people think core count matters (4 fast threads > 8 slow threads). Plus LGA 1150 will be used for Broadwell so you can upgrade in the future to a 14nm processor.

Edit: Post 100 woo!  ;)

There are only a few games that can take advantage of more than 2 cores so a 6300/8350 is anytime a waste. An i3 has a better price/performance ratio than the whole FX line.

athlon 760k get a better motherboard gigabyte g1 sinper or msi a88xm gaming and cooler (something like a 212 evo, but not a 212 evo because they are boring :P ) and a r9 270. that way you can keep up with the fx6300 cpu wise and have a better gpu! 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

There are only a few games that can take advantage of more than 2 cores so a 6300/8350 is anytime a waste. An i3 has a better price/performance ratio than the whole FX line.

That was once true... Not so much anymore.

Extra CPU power may not provide higher average or maximum fps rises, but the most critical minimum fps will rise, and that's the important thing.

Also there will be more and more multithreading as time progress's. Especially from Nowadays onward.

Due to game engines progressing faster and faster in the last few years I would say a triplecore would be my minimum for any gaming machine, I would not touch any dualcores (with or without HT)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

That was once true... Not so much anymore.

Extra CPU power may not provide higher average or maximum fps rises, but the most critical minimum fps will rise, and that's the important thing.

Also there will be more and more multithreading as time progress's. Especially from Nowadays onward.

Due to game engines progressing faster and faster in the last few years I would say a triplecore would be my minimum for any gaming machine, I would not touch any dualcores (with or without HT)

Whats your point? An i3 will still be better before an 8350 will be outdated (which already is atm)

i3-4130 stomps every FX processor in gaming including the FX-8350 (not all the time but in most cases). This is a no brainier, regardless to as much as people think core count matters (4 fast threads > 8 slow threads). Plus LGA 1150 will be used for Broadwell so you can upgrade in the future to a 14nm processor.

Edit: Post 100 woo! ;)

Every game released in the last year or two has been relatively well multithreaded giving the FX 6300 a solid advantage over the i3 and with most new launches adopting a design that plays well with multiple cores due to the next gen consoles, going with a dual core processor just seems a bit silly. Yes In older games that can only use 2 cores or threads the i3 will out perform the Fx 6300 at stock speeds, but then the FX 6300 can be overclocked to have good single threaded performance as well, another advantage that the i3 lacks.

Whats your point? An i3 will still be better before an 8350 will be outdated (which already is atm)

Read my earlier post because the same goes for this as well.

Just to back myself up here are some benchmarks.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1362591/gamegpu-crysis-3-final-gpu-cpu-scaling

http://www.techspot.com/review/734-battlefield-4-benchmarks/page6.html

http://www.techspot.com/review/655-bioshock-infinite-performance/page5.html

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2305791

http://www.techspot.com/review/615-far-cry-3-performance/page6.html

As you can see the FX 6300 is either outperforming the i3 or on par with it, and this is before we take into account that the fx 6300 can be overclocked.

You ask me whats my point when my post is the point that I'm making.

Plus the 8350 has the power for other usage scenarios where the i3 will be behind it in multithreaded applications like video editing his gameplays.. 8350 outdated or not is a stronger CPU when its used to its maximum capabilities. Especially with overclocking.

On a budget its a little different, but he can get a cheaper AMD CPU than the 8350 and drop in a more powerful one later. Still being less expensive than doing the same thing with Intel.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

As you can see the FX 6300 is either outperforming the i3 or on par with it, and this is before we take into account that the fx 6300 can be overclocked.

Link even 10 more games, the i3 is still the better choice here for gaming. You're nothing with multithreading performance, gaming is all about IPC and nothing more. As I said before there aren't enough multithreaded games, if they are then theyre gpu bound which doesnt matter which cpu you use or its a singleplayer game.

8350's@5GHz will give you around 13 fps in most mmo/rts games so no theyre many times not even on the borderline.

Maybe you should take a Haswell chip out -> http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i3-4340-4330-4130_5.html#sect0 http://www.hardcoreware.net/intel-core-i3-4340-review/3/

You ask me whats my point when my post is the point that I'm making.

Plus the 8350 has the power for other usage scenarios where the i3 will be behind it in multithreaded applications like video editing his gameplays.. 8350 outdated or not is a stronger CPU when its used to its maximum capabilities. Especially with overclocking.

On a budget its a little different, but he can get a cheaper AMD CPU than the 8350 and drop in a more powerful one later. Still being less expensive than doing the same thing with Intel.

An i3 with Intel Quicksync for rendering/encoding is faster than a 8350. If you get a 8350 these days you must be ignorant really. No point getting a 8350 over an i5.

An i3 with Intel Quicksync for rendering/encoding is faster than a 8350. If you get a 8350 these days you must be ignorant really. No point getting a 8350 over an i5.

Intel quicksync is a shit quality encoder. I have used it many times in different programs and compared to using a CPU alone its quite craptastic quality.

To be fair, most GPU assist video encoding sucks compared to the CPU, even at the same settings on most programs.

I wouldnt get a 8350 over an i5, I don't think anyone should, I love the Intel i series, I also love AMD being the underdog and use both companies CPU's for their strengths, but I would choose an 8350 over an i3.

Because I do more than just sit there playing games on my PC.

Intel quicksync is a shit quality encoder. I have used it many times in different programs and compared to using a CPU alone its quite craptastic quality.

To be fair, most GPU assist video encoding sucks compared to the CPU, even at the same settings on most programs.

That's not true. Hardware doesnt decide the image quality. I can go upto 300Mbps with Cuda/quicksync and the cpu in adobe premiere pro.

I wouldnt get a 8350 over an i5, I don't think anyone should, I love the Intel i series, I also love AMD being the underdog and use both companies CPU's for their strengths, but I would choose an 8350 over an i3.

Because I do more than just sit there playing games on my PC.

Have fun waiting 15 years to have multithreaded games as standard.

That's not true. Hardware doesnt decide the image quality. I can go upto 300Mbps with Cuda/quicksync and the cpu in adobe premiere pro.

Not everyone is using that one singular program. Not all programs let you use 300Mbps. Let alone 50mbps.

Have fun waiting 15 years to have multithreaded games as standard.

If you think its going to be 15 years, your deluded sorry to say, their not running on a single thread now... let alone down the track being better again than todays standards.

Not everyone is using that one singular program. Not all programs let you use 300Mbps. Let alone 50mbps.

50Mbps 100GB of recorded shadowplay captures will take like a day on a 8350 while Quicksync woud do it in an hour or two. I don't think many people here have the patience to wait that long so you're still having better quality with Quicksync thanks to its faster processing time allowing you to use higher bitrates.

If you think its going to be 15 years, your deluded sorry to say, their not running on a single thread now... let alone down the track being better again than todays standards.

There aren't single threaded games. Stuff like notepad/win calc/superpi are single threaded. Every game you have lets say starting from 2000 can use more than 20 cores anyways.

hi, ihave a budget of $500 for buying a new rig this april , but im really confused to pick cpu for my gaming rig , my 2 choices for a $120 dollar cpu was a amd fx 6300 or an i3 4130.

what do you think should i buy because a lot people says the 6300 would be better but other doesn't , 

plss help !.. thanks 

btw i will pair it with a r7 260x , and im not planning on upgrading in the future . i just want to buy whats the best for gaming .

8320 at microcenter for 129.99 if your stateside.

Edit: Post 100 woo!  ;)

You do know the differences between the 4130 and the 8350 right? I would guess not because you have everything wrong.

4130 is Zambezi based which has a lower IPC then Vishera by 5-15%.

Also more games are becoming better mutlithreaded.

One last thing. The 4130 has a clock speed of 3.8Ghz while the 8350 is 4.0Ghz. So even if they were identical, they are not, the 8350 would still be faster then the 4130 using 4 cores due to shear clock speed.

Please top posting wrong and false information when you have either no experience with it or simply dont know.