fx 6300 or i3 4130? really confused!

Go to solution Solved by Opcode,

ok guys enough with the argue, i will pick an answer :) but can i get cheap motherboard for both cpus? and btw if i buy 6300 i will not overclock it ,because im worried will not work on a cheap mobo ,so its ok for me for not over clocking it , i just want to know if can i use a cheap motherboard and use fx 6300 or i3 4130 for gaming? does the performance will affect on it?

If you don't plan on overclocking go with the i3-4130, it's the better option. As for motherboards, look for something like the Gigabyte GA-H87M-D3H. You don't need the expensive Z87 chipset as you don't plan on overclocking. That is if you can find it from a supplier near you. If you need cheaper, don't be afraid to bump down to a H81 or B85 chipset. The CPU itself is the important part for gaming performance, and stock vs stock the i3-4130 wins by a long shot.

A side question I have is what hardware do you already own? And what hardware do you need to buy for your new build?

#2 You know AMD, the ones that make the CPUs? Yeah them, according to them. It is 3.8GHz.

http://shop.amd.com/US/All/Detail/Processor/FD4130FRGUBOX?SearchFacets=category%3AProcessor

As I've said before start getting your information from legit sources.

He's talking about the Intel i3-4130, not the AMD FX-4130.

The i3-4130 does have better performance per core vs. even an FX-9590.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

ok guys enough with the argue, i will pick an answer :) but can i get cheap motherboard for both cpus? and btw if i buy 6300 i will not overclock it ,because im worried will not work on a cheap mobo ,so its ok for me for not over clocking it , i just want to know if can i use a cheap motherboard and use fx 6300 or i3 4130 for gaming? does the performance will affect on it?

If you don't plan on overclocking go with the i3-4130, it's the better option. As for motherboards, look for something like the Gigabyte GA-H87M-D3H. You don't need the expensive Z87 chipset as you don't plan on overclocking. That is if you can find it from a supplier near you. If you need cheaper, don't be afraid to bump down to a H81 or B85 chipset. The CPU itself is the important part for gaming performance, and stock vs stock the i3-4130 wins by a long shot.

A side question I have is what hardware do you already own? And what hardware do you need to buy for your new build?

i have a dumb old pentium 4 506 ,and without a graphics card :) so i really need a new rig for gaming,now if i go for intel this would be my build

cpu: core i3 4130

mobo: MSI H81M-E33 ( if this board is ok)

ram: 4gb 1333/1600 any brand

gpu: r7 260x (i cant stretch any of that instead of any other card cost $150 here)

psu: corsair vs 450

case: any brand with a little bit cooling fans

Normally, I'd say go with the 6300, it is a bit more powerful cpu. but I dont know where you are buying from so I can tell you if a board is good or not (some have bad vrm). On the intel side, you dont have this with haswell.

It also depends on the games you plan on playing.

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

If that is where you are buying from, go intel. any good amd board is 2x this one's price.

Normally, I'd say go with the 6300, it is a bit more powerful cpu. but I dont know where you are buying from so I can tell you if a board is good or not (some have bad vrm). On the intel side, you dont have this with haswell.

It also depends on the games you plan on playing.

i want to play current games like crysis 3 farcry 3 , AC black flag nfs rivals and newer games, i want to go with the 6300 but im worried about the power consumption for our monthly bills,and what are VRM? can u plss tell me, thanks

i have a dumb old pentium 4 506 ,and without a graphics card :) so i really need a new rig for gaming,now if i go for intel this would be my build

cpu: core i3 4130

ram: 4gb 1333/1600 any brand

gpu: r7 260x (i cant stretch any of that instead of any other card cost $150 here)

psu: corsair vs 450

case: any brand with a little bit cooling fans

I personally would use this board over any MSI board. The i3-4130 will out perform the FX-6300 in gaming. You will hit a GPU bottleneck long before a CPU bottleneck in any game.

i want to go with the 6300 but im worried about the power consumption for our monthly bills

its not gonna be a factor

and what are VRM

VRM regulates the power to the CPU, if you have a low end VRM, it can cause problems if it can handle a CPU's power draw.

I personally would use this board over any MSI board. The i3-4130 will out perform the FX-6300 in gaming. You will hit a GPU bottleneck long before a CPU bottleneck in any game.

Running a 6350 with a GTX 780, I'm no where near hitting a CPU bottleneck. I actually put up FPS numbers equivalent to benchmarks using an intel setup

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

You do know the 4130 is a model i3 from Intel.  ;)

Yup. I was just showing Faa how annoying it is when he changes things to make himself right.  

Threads where the OP asks about 2 specific mobos and he breaks out the PC Part Picker for the I3 or I5 instead of answering the OPs question. Almost every AMD thread that he enters, he doesn't help, instead he talks about Intel and IPC. Mean while the OP was asking about AMD motherboards or anything else AMD.

Yup. I was just showing Faa how annoying it is when he changes things to make himself right.  

Threads where the OP asks about 2 specific mobos and he breaks out the PC Part Picker for the I3 or I5 instead of answering the OPs question. Almost every AMD thread that he enters, he doesn't help, instead he talks about Intel and IPC. Mean while the OP was asking about AMD motherboards or anything else AMD.

What did he change? The OP was talking about the i3 4130, not the FX 4130

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

VRM regulates the power to the CPU, if you have a low end VRM, it can cause problems if it can handle a CPU's power draw.

ok i should know if a MOBO have a good VRM?for example is this board ASRock 960GM-VGS3 FX , is this enough to run the fx 6300 on a good condition?

What did he change? The OP was talking about the i3 4130, not the FX 4130

Just showing him how annoying it would be to talk to himself.

Look at thread title:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/124680-what-mobo-for-gaming-fx-83208350-and-cpu-cooler/

Another one of his posts appears to be deleted by a mod by others can be found quickly.

Look at thread title:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/124680-what-mobo-for-gaming-fx-83208350-and-cpu-cooler/

Another one of his posts appears to be deleted by a mod by others can be found quickly.

I see your point, definitely makes sense now

Look at thread title:

I remember reading that thread... I don't remember why, maybe information gathering on different CPUs and stuff. Geez... It's like if you said you had an AMD CPU already, so $180, and wanted to buy a new mobo and he just goes in like, "Nope. Intel, now. $400". So, I should throw away a working CPU and mobo and $400 for something completely unrelated to what I'm asking. It's like going to a some competitive gaming forum and you're asking about the M4 and people start mentioning about the ACE carbine when they're different weapons...

He does have valid points on i3s being strong in single-threaded applications, however, he nor anyone cannot predict what's going to happen in the future. For all we know, ARM CPUs could come into the desktop market and crush anything AMD and/or Intel will try to do. Or dual-cores will stay as the minimum for most games. Or quad-cores. Or even hexa-cores. Maybe AMD will unveil some new CPU architecture that matches Intel's but with a much lower price point. Or maybe Intel will screw up with their next releases. Or maybe, just maybe, the world ends and everything becomes irrelevant. Nobody freaking knows and personally, all those predictors of the world were either really lucky or really reasonable with how things would work out. That or babbling buffoons getting credit they did not deserve.

Anyway, in the OP's situation, a FX 6300 would be fine and so would a i3-4130, but the main concern is the future and whether or not a powerful dual-core can hold up.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

ok i should know if a MOBO have a good VRM?for example is this board ASRock 960GM-VGS3 FX , is this enough to run the fx 6300 on a good condition?

Honestly, i cant say, I haven't dealt with the board.

It says it can handle an 8 core though.

Honestly, i cant say, I haven't dealt with the board.

It says it can handle an 8 core though.

Any AM3+ board will run a 6300 just fine.

Any AM3+ board will run a 6300 just fine.

Ok, but it's not only power draw, it's about clean power too.

i've only had the 8 core cpu's and 990fx boards. I'm not sure about the 960 chipset.

ok thanks for all of your concern guys ,on april i will buy my new rig so maybe i would go for i3 4130 or fx 6300 depends on the price in that time ,thou im still confused ,you all guys really helped me thanks :)  

Ok, but it's not only power draw, it's about clean power too.

i've only had the 8 core cpu's and 990fx boards. I'm not sure about the 960 chipset.

I guess I'm the same, I've only ever used a 990FX board, which is what I would recommend. 

I personally prefer a heatsink on the vrm, however that board should do. The main thing with voltage regulation is it is hard to get clean output when temps rise and the modules themselves dont have a large amount of surface are to passively cool off without a heatsink attached. That said it apparently supports even some 125w chips and the 6300 is listed so it should especially since you aren't overclocking.

i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz (1.240v) || Asrock extreme 4 || CM Hyper 212 evo

Samsung 840 || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb || Powercolor 7870 xt @ (1200 mhz core : 1500 mhz mem)