PSU Replacing - Can I keep the old cables?

JayBe
Go to solution Solved by minibois,
Just now, mahyar said:

the layout of cables is standardized 

On the component side, not on the PSU side.

Suggesting people to keep their cables while not knowing what PSU they are changing from is wrong and you should definitely not suggest that.

To OP: as said above, the PSU side of the cables is not standard, meaning one PSU can have the voltage/ground on another line as compared to another.

I would highly suggest changing out the cable for the new ones that comes with the new PSU.

Hey guys,

last year I build a new PC which has a 550W PSU. For the new RTX 3080 I obviously needed a new one.
Thats why I bought myself a thermaltake toughpower gs with 1050W.

What i was wondering... i dont actually need to replace everything and do a whole new cable management, do I?
Couldn't i just plug all the cables out of my old PSU and plug them back into my new one (both are modular)?

I mean, in my mind, this makes sense as they are only cables.. but i wanted to make sure, therefore this post :D

Thanks in advance!

Remember: If you want me to see your reply - Quote me!

If your question has been solved, please mark the thread as solved by choosing the answer that has helped you the most as the correct/solving one.

Please also use appropriate titles. Titles should be a short description of your situation to get people interested in looking at your thread. Titles such as "help" or "i have a problem" (etc.) will only lead to you getting less to zero help, cause people won't be able to tell what this thread is about and therefore don't bother looking into it.

in theory yes

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

Just now, mahyar said:

in theory yes

and in practice? :D

If your question has been solved, please mark the thread as solved by choosing the answer that has helped you the most as the correct/solving one.

Please also use appropriate titles. Titles should be a short description of your situation to get people interested in looking at your thread. Titles such as "help" or "i have a problem" (etc.) will only lead to you getting less to zero help, cause people won't be able to tell what this thread is about and therefore don't bother looking into it.

1 minute ago, JayBe said:

and in practice? :D

if you manage to do it clean :) 

and how different is the layout of PSUs and length of cables

7 minutes ago, JayBe said:

Hey guys,

last year I build a new PC which has a 550W PSU. For the new RTX 3080 I obviously needed a new one.
Thats why I bought myself a thermaltake toughpower gs with 1050W.

What i was wondering... i dont actually need to replace everything and do a whole new cable management, do I?
Couldn't i just plug all the cables out of my old PSU and plug them back into my new one (both are modular)?

I mean, in my mind, this makes sense as they are only cables.. but i wanted to make sure, therefore this post :D

Thanks in advance!

No. All cables are different. You HAVE to make sure the current cables are wired the same and are compatible with the psu you have. If not your system will literally go up in smoke.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

No. All cables are different. You HAVE to make sure the current cables are wired the same and are compatible with the psu you have. If not your system will literally go up in smoke.

1 minute ago, mahyar said:

It is not. Not at all. Sure the connectors on the board are but the connectors on the psu differ a lot. Like literally same series psu's when comparing the new version to the old one can have a totally different psu layout.

Just now, mahyar said:

Suggesting people to keep their cables while not knowing what PSU they are changing from is wrong and you should definitely not suggest that.

To OP: as said above, the PSU side of the cables is not standard, meaning one PSU can have the voltage/ground on another line as compared to another.

I would highly suggest changing out the cable for the new ones that comes with the new PSU.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

15 minutes ago, JayBe said:

but i wanted to make sure, therefore this post :D

The atx end (the one that plugs into your components) is standard, the PSU end is NOT, one psu could have a different pin layout than the other and it's not standard, unless you're 100% sure they have the same pin layout (since we don't know what 550w unit that is) don't use the old PSU's cables, just use the ones the came with the new one. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

It is not. Not at all. Sure the connectors on the board are but the connectors on the psu differ a lot. Like literally same series psu's when comparing the new version to the old one can have a totally different psu layout.

so, the safer way would be to replace everything?

2 minutes ago, JayBe said:

THE way, not the safer way, unless you're sure that the cables are interchangeable between the two units, though without knowing what PSU you were using until now, we can't help you with that.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Just now, JayBe said:

The safest way is to check compatibility. If it's a no or even a maybe then do not use the current cables and just use what comes with your psu.

1 minute ago, minibois said:

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

The atx end (the one that plugs into your components) is standard, the PSU end is NOT, one psu could have a different pin layout than the other and it's not standard, unless you're 100% sure they have the same pin layout (since we don't know what 550w unit that is) don't use the old PSU's cables, just use the ones rhY cake with the new one. 

Well, i first thought it was silly to ask such a question, but now i am glad that i did :D You guys probably saved my pc :'D

Btw, its a Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum 550W. But imma make sure to swap out every cable :D

1 minute ago, JayBe said:

Well, i first thought it was silly to ask such a question, but now i am glad that i did :D You guys probably saved my pc :'D

Btw, its a Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum 550W. But imma make sure to swap out every cable :D

Totally different brand 100% for sure switch the cables.

2 hours ago, mahyar said:

Good lord.  Your advice is dangerous. 

11 hours ago, JayBe said:

thermaltake toughpower gs with 1050W.

Is this some ancient thing i can't find nothing about ?

11 hours ago, mahyar said:

in theory yes

No. Unless you're absolutely sure that cables between the two PSUs are interchangeable, which is rare even inside the same brand lineups.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

On 9/25/2020 at 9:52 AM, Juular said:

Is this some ancient thing i can't find nothing about ?

nah :D its this one: https://de.thermaltake.com/toughpower-grand-rgb-1050w-platinum.html