Botting in the PC world (from an experienced botters perspective)

AMDPRO

I have been botting sneakers for over a year now, and have purchased hundreds of items with bots.

Now that the botting world is merging with the PC world, I thought I'd clear some things up, as nearly everything I've seen about botting from PC users perspective is blatantly wrong. 

1. The use of Captchas

Captchas do NOTHING to stop bots. Work arounds such as one clicks exist, and the bot opens up the window for the user to solve them manually. Just works to slow down botters and manual users, botters will always still take stock.

2. Raffling the cards

I've seen this idea thrown out a lot, but raffle botting is even easier than fcfs botting in some cases

3. Accounts/SMS

It is very easy for botters to make multiple accounts, be active on them, and age them. Even if SMS verification is required. As for SMS verification, a shoe store tried that, but bots hit even more, as the backend cookies were the same, making it an easy bypass.

The only two sites I've ever seen completely stop bots is the US Nike SNKRS app, partly because its an app, and Shopify, when they really want to. 

I really hope this helps. Please ask any other questions about botting you may have in the comments. I just dislike the misinformation being spread and want to help the rest of the community understand. 

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 MOBO: MSI Tomahawk B350 GPU: Reference cooled GTX 980 Storage: Intel SSD5 256Gb RAM: 8gb Geil EVO Potenza Case:  Phanteks p300 PSU: EVGA 500 watt CPU Cooler: AMD wraith spire

Steam: maxarooni4

Battle.net: MAX

If you have an Oculus HMU in dead and buried   

I dont think anyone debated as to whether or not bots were capable of buying everything before people could

1 minute ago, emosun said:

I dont think anyone debated as to whether or not bots were capable of buying everything before people could

that wasn't my point haha

It was all the people saying its so easy to stop bots and getting mad at nvidia.

Stopping bots is very hard no matter how hard nvidia tries

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 MOBO: MSI Tomahawk B350 GPU: Reference cooled GTX 980 Storage: Intel SSD5 256Gb RAM: 8gb Geil EVO Potenza Case:  Phanteks p300 PSU: EVGA 500 watt CPU Cooler: AMD wraith spire

Just now, AMDPRO said:

only sell them retail , bots have been stopped

course retail only sales have the massive problem of being less profitable , like the much struggling barely scraping by oil industry..... /s

Just now, AMDPRO said:

It was all the people saying its so easy to stop bots and getting mad at nvidia.

Lol, but they could just make a guess 1.000.000 random number challangs. If its a human, it will be random. If its a bot, there will be pseudo randomness.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Lol, but they could just make a guess 1.000.000 random number challangs. If its a human, it will be random. If its a bot, there will be pseudo randomness.

bots can make a random number just as easily as a human. Psuedo randomness will  be impossible to detect, worst case bots can have humans manually enter the numbers

Just now, AMDPRO said:

bots can make a random number just as easily as a human. Psuedo randomness will  be impossible to detect, worst case bots can have humans manually enter the numbers

then its not a bot tho.......

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

only sell them retail , bots have been stopped

course retail only sales have the massive problem of being less profitable , like the much struggling barely scraping by oil industry..... /s

Issue with that is people have work and school haha. Most cards still go to scalpers who have time to go instore. 

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

then its not a bot tho.......

still a bot. If they have multiple instances, all using software to ATC and checkout, they'll still be able to hit more than any human no matter how fast the humans are.

1 minute ago, AMDPRO said:

Issue with that is people have work and school haha. Most cards still go to scalpers who have time to go instore. 

hey, it still stops bot scalpers, and then there are human scalpers, who can have their purchases limited.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

No "solution" will ever be perfect, so I guess the goal is to reduce the impact of the use of bots for the purpose of buying cards (or whatever) to resell at a higher price.

Would it be fair to say a CAPTCHA is only a minor hurdle, in that it prevents fully unattend purchases, and the user can intervene as needed for those parts that can't be automated?

2 & 3 I suppose are kinda related. If the goal is to restrict sales, logically the most sensible route is to require unique and hard to acquire information before the sale is entered into. E-mail wouldn't work for example, as that is easy to create near unlimited addresses. Phone numbers are a maybe. Credit card numbers are a maybe. I'm only loosely aware that some "privacy" feature can generate unique numbers for each purchase, but is there a practical limit to the quantity? Delivery address would be another variable. I suppose the question then is, how much of that info above would a customer be willing to give before even having the chance to buy something? Probably not something a store would want to require as routine operation, but maybe only a specific requirement for major product launches such as this. 

The above assume the system is implemented correctly and in a robust way, so that other workarounds can't be used.

As a further thought, doesn't the use of a bot assume that the bot creator knows in advance how the shopping system works? Could it be frustrated by implementing variations in the checkout process for example. I know, this would only be effective until such time the bot can be updated, but buying a bit of time is all that is needed here.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, AMDPRO said:

release on a sunday.

retail will prevent a single person buying more than one without the help of friends

5 minutes ago, porina said:

No "solution" will ever be perfect, so I guess the goal is to reduce the impact of the use of bots for the purpose of buying cards (or whatever) to resell at a higher price.

Would it be fair to say a CAPTCHA is only a minor hurdle, in that it prevents fully unattend purchases, and the user can intervene as needed for those parts that can't be automated?

2 & 3 I suppose are kinda related. If the goal is to restrict sales, logically the most sensible route is to require unique and hard to acquire information before the sale is entered into. E-mail wouldn't work for example, as that is easy to create near unlimited addresses. Phone numbers are a maybe. Credit card numbers are a maybe. I'm only loosely aware that some "privacy" feature can generate unique numbers for each purchase, but is there a practical limit to the quantity? Delivery address would be another variable. I suppose the question then is, how much of that info above would a customer be willing to give before even having the chance to buy something? Probably not something a store would want to require as routine operation, but maybe only a specific requirement for major product launches such as this. 

The above assume the system is implemented correctly and in a robust way, so that other workarounds can't be used.

As a further thought, doesn't the use of a bot assume that the bot creator knows in advance how the shopping system works? Could it be frustrated by implementing variations in the checkout process for example. I know, this would only be effective until such time the bot can be updated, but buying a bit of time is all that is needed here.

Those are all good ideas, but people have ways to generate unlimited custom credit card numbers, use catchall emails with thousands of emails, jig addresses to bypass any address limit to get multiples, and people have access to multiple sms numbers to bot as well. And yes, the developer would need a knowledge of the checkout system before hand in most cases. 

6 minutes ago, emosun said:

release on a sunday.

retail will prevent a single person buying more than one without the help of friends

People do work on sundays, but most cases when this happens in the sneaker industry, a single person will show up with 10 friends/family and take all the products. That happened a lot at gamestops for PS5 allocations. 

Just now, AMDPRO said:

Those are all good ideas, but people have ways to generate unlimited custom credit card numbers, use catchall emails with thousands of emails, jig addresses to bypass any address limit to get multiples, and people have access to multiple sms numbers to bot as well. And yes, the developer would need a knowledge of the checkout system before hand in most cases. 

It is not surprising that these ideas have been thought of before, and that there are ways to counteract them. I suppose it is fortunate that for PC hardware at least, big releases with shortages are not very often, so it makes it less affected by this.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

People do work on sundays, but most cases when this happens in the sneaker industry, a single person will show up with 10 friends/family and take all the products. That happened a lot at gamestops for PS5 allocations. 

1 per group then

seems the bot discussion has long been proven foiled so w/e

1 minute ago, porina said:

It is not surprising that these ideas have been thought of before, and that there are ways to counteract them. I suppose it is fortunate that for PC hardware at least, big releases with shortages are not very often, so it makes it less affected by this.

yea haha, people have made tons of bypasses, nvidia tries it hardest but still got tons of hates for things out of its control 

Just now, emosun said:

1 per group then

seems the bot discussion has long been proven foiled so w/e

haha the difficulty of that to enforce tho

20 minutes ago, AMDPRO said:

but you countered your own argument with "Nike" and "shopify" being able to stop it "if they want to" which is the point everyone is making NVIDIA (the masters of AI) simply don't / didn't care. 

And as such your OP might be slightly informative (most ppl already knew tho) but ultimately is "missing the point" completely.  no offense ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

but you countered your own argument with "Nike" and "shopify" being able to stop it "if they want to" which is the point everyone is making NVIDIA (the masters of AI) simply don't / didn't care. 

And as such your OP might be slightly informative (most ppl already knew tho) but ultimately is "missing the point" completely.  no offense ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yes I agree its very possible. But as far as web based sites go, only Shopify has been able to ever stop it, and it only worked on one release last month. Shopify has years and years of data from bots, and owns many botting software to grow and perfect their anti-bot. Nvidia has only had 2 drops. 

4 minutes ago, AMDPRO said:

Nvidia has only had 2 drops.

:/

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

The simplest solution is for everybody to just not buy products second hand at or near launch.  Let the botters sit on their inventory for a few months.  This is obviously impossible because we humans are hedonistic and if we perceive something to be 1337, we'll buy it.  

Another option is for the major auction/online sales sites to agree to product embargos close to launch.  This wouldn't eliminate it, but it would drive it underground where buyers are harder to come by.  

Another option would be for us to review bomb anybody selling these high-demand items on eBay so they'd run out of decent accounts to sell their products through.  Or, as some are doing now, bid up the products very high and don't follow through on the purchase.  Sort of a "burn it all down" tactic.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

Yes I agree its very possible. But as far as web based sites go, only Shopify has been able to ever stop it, and it only worked on one release last month. Shopify has years and years of data from bots, and owns many botting software to grow and perfect their anti-bot. Nvidia has only had 2 drops. 

Even so the impression remains, they didn't really try - and there could have been solutions developed, like an app even if just temporarily (I'm pretty sure people wouldn't have minded if it was for this reason) 

I also think pre-orders would have actually helped, tho I'm not entirely sure about that.

So yes it's possible but "difficult" , it just makes it look there wasn't actually a lot of stock and not a lot of will to stop scalpers.

in hindsight a paper launch wasn't actually the worst thing to happen however, with all the issues cropping up now (although the FE cards might be unaffected?)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 hours ago, porina said:

As a further thought, doesn't the use of a bot assume that the bot creator knows in advance how the shopping system works? Could it be frustrated by implementing variations in the checkout process for example.

Why would shops go through the trouble and expense of making changes to their checkout process? They literally have nothing at all to gain from doing so. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

50 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Why would shops go through the trouble and expense of making changes to their checkout process? They literally have nothing at all to gain from doing so. 

They have nothing to gain if you assume "any sale is a sale", However they might want to build up goodwill with customers who choose to buy more routine items from them in the future. 

The goal is a (relatively) simple measure to hinder bots. It is a given that bots will adapt, but if there's a big launch, then a one-off change first shown the same time the sales go live could "break" existing bots. In the time it takes for the bot creator to update it, the opportunity is reduced.

It doesn't have to be too radical a change necessarily. It just had to be enough to implement the above.