Justice Department to sue Google over search dominance

Random_Person1234
Go to solution Solved by Random_Person1234,
On 9/29/2020 at 3:01 AM, ACEHACK said:

i call total bullshit. this is not for monopoly, its for the US elections. 

Honestly, if it's going to be partisan, let it be. I'd have liked every president/DOJ to do something about Google and other oligopolies, but I'll take the action wherever it comes from. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Honestly, if it's going to be partisan, let it be. I'd have liked every president/DOJ to do something about Google and other oligopolies, but I'll take the action wherever it comes from. 

The partisan aspect of Google is a little weird. Their employees outright side with a very specific slice of the Democrats, but their leadership understands the actual game. Google only gets to exist while it stays on the NSA & DoD's good side. But, and this is the other thing to watch out for, Google leadership were big Obama supporters & Google spends big in DC.  What have they gotten from it? Basically nothing. They've failed to basically get any legislation to go their way.  I was absolutely floored with how they got rolled on several things over the years. They invested, both the company & employees, 10s of millions into the Obama Administration and got nothing but the impending problems for it.

That's the thing to watch out for. Google has a shelf-life for usefulness to the big players. It's already been mostly broken up into separate companies, watch that become forced. Google has also badly abused its position. You're allowed to be a monopoly by being better than everyone else. You aren't allowed to abuse that position to prevent anyone from competing against you, though the biggest abuse is still YouTube. They actively prevent anyone competing against YT, but it's also pretty clear that's acceptable to the DC Factions.

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

The partisan aspect of Google is a little weird. Their employees outright side with a very specific slice of the Democrats, but their leadership understands the actual game. Google only gets to exist while it stays on the NSA & DoD's good side. But, and this is the other thing to watch out for, Google leadership were big Obama supporters & Google spends big in DC.  What have they gotten from it? Basically nothing. They've failed to basically get any legislation to go their way.  I was absolutely floored with how they got rolled on several things over the years. They invested, both the company & employees, 10s of millions into the Obama Administration and got nothing but the impending problems for it.

That's the thing to watch out for. Google has a shelf-life for usefulness to the big players. It's already been mostly broken up into separate companies, watch that become forced. Google has also badly abused its position. You're allowed to be a monopoly by being better than everyone else. You aren't allowed to abuse that position to prevent anyone from competing against you, though the biggest abuse is still YouTube. They actively prevent anyone competing against YT, but it's also pretty clear that's acceptable to the DC Factions.

Seems sort of the opposite if all the big data heat is hitting Facebook instead of them

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 9/23/2020 at 2:59 AM, lexusgamer05 said:

why is the US govt wasting their time like this? There are far more important issues at hand rather than a search engine that just happens to be really popular.

I agree. And I would say google has a monopoly over search engines because, practically every other search engine sucks. Its not that hard to see.

On 9/23/2020 at 8:22 PM, TigerHawk said:

I mean...I get the whole anti-monopoly thing but seriously, Google is the most used search engine for a reason. It gives the cleanest, most relevant results for like 99% of searches. Try anyone else's search engine and its usually a waste of your god damn time because they don't index pages even half as well.

If they want to complain Google has a monopoly on search engines, how about you just make your own damn search engine better. It's like a fat guy complaining an athlete is faster than him at the 100m sprint. How about you just work harder and try to keep up instead of trying to feed the athlete abunch of cheese burgers so you might have a chance.

This is what you (and others) don't get, you can work harder, but then Google will just buy you out and the thing you worked harder for stops existing... Money is pretty powerful for stuff like that... The American dream? No, that's why anti trust laws exist... They're just used way to sparsely, really google (and others) should have never been allowed to get into the position they're now... 

And this happened mostly because the governments of the world 'don't get the internet' which by itself is hilarious, but unfortunately a fact... 

'work harder'... Give me a break (and maybe try to understand the subject of this suit, it's not about Google being 'better' they were simply first and abused that position since...) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

10 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Seems sort of the opposite if all the big data heat is hitting Facebook instead of them

Facebook's data is more useful than Google's. The heat that FB gets is about control of the data. Google gets to exist as it does so long as it doesn't lose out on favor with too many factions in DC. They made their bed. It was always just a matter of time.

3 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Facebook's data is more useful than Google's. The heat that FB gets is about control of the data. Google gets to exist as it does so long as it doesn't lose out on favor with too many factions in DC. They made their bed. It was always just a matter of time.

Potato potato.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

This is what you (and others) don't get, you can work harder, but then Google will just buy you out and the thing you worked harder for stops existing... Money is pretty powerful for stuff like that... The American dream? No, that's why anti trust laws exist... They're just used way to sparsely, really google (and others) should have never been allowed to get into the position they're now... 

And this happened mostly because the governments of the world 'don't get the internet' which by itself is hilarious, but unfortunately a fact... 

'work harder'... Give me a break (and maybe try to understand the subject of this suit, it's not about Google being 'better' they were simply first and abused that position since...) 

Idiots with Microphones don't understand the Internet, but you can bet the farm that Governments do. That's why all of the companies have been so protected. It was Global, Factional "land rush". What we're starting to see is what happens when you don't play the Faction game well. "War of Spanish Succession" comes to mind.

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Idiots with Microphones don't understand the Internet, but you can bet the farm that Governments do. That's why all of the companies have been so protected. It was Global, Factional "land rush". What we're starting to see is what happens when you don't play the Faction game well. "War of Spanish Succession" comes to mind.

The impression I’ve gotten is that many people in government don’t either.  There are very likely a few that do though.  This still seems to boil down to “didn’t suck up to the current administration hard enough for its tastes”. 

I wonder what's going to happen if a new administration takes over in January, which would most likely bring a new attorney general. Also of note, arguments for Google v. Oracle are being heard in the Supreme Court currently, so the Google legal team is working overtime right now.

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

13 minutes ago, Random_Person1234 said:

I wonder what's going to happen if a new administration takes over in January, which would most likely bring a new attorney general. Also of note, arguments for Google v. Oracle are being heard in the Supreme Court currently, so the Google legal team is working overtime right now.

A major question.  This thing can’t possibly get finished before 2021 or 2022.  Leaves Google banking on a regime change.  I am not super sure that will happen.  Blue is leading but by a smaller margin than they were in 2016, and they lost last time because the blue voters all thought “we’re winning.  I’ll just let someone else do the bother of voting”, so of course they lost. It’s happened pretty much every election I’ve been alive.  If blue does win its by a much smaller margin than was projected.  Looks to be happening again.

Edited by Bombastinator

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

A major question.  This thing can’t possibly get finished before 2021 or 2022.  Leaves Google banking on a regime change.  I am not super sure that will happen blue is leading but by a smaller margin than they were in 2016 and the lost ray time because the blue voters all thought “we’re winning.  I’ll let someone else do the bother of voting”, so of course they lost. Looks to be happening again.

Also of note, all 11 states that joined the DOJ lawsuit are "red states." If there is an administration change, a lot more states may join the case.

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

On 9/23/2020 at 3:18 AM, Moonzy said:

Sometimes I wonder why monopoly happens, then I sit down and think

What's better for consumers?

1-2 major companies using huge budget to improve their single service that everyone uses, since revenue isn't split too much.

Or

Total revenue split into 10 companies, each improving their products by 1/5 the rate of above companies due to less revenue stream to each.

After that, monopoly/duopoly kind of makes sense.

Innovation would stir things up, but most of the time they get absorbed by the big companies

PS: not saying monopoly is good, I'm just saying that I can see why it happens

It's how we ended up with Verizon and a few others, IIRC.

They were all split off from Bell in the 90's.

Periods of boom and bust are necessary in a capitalist economy. It's weathering them that needs to be taught.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

On 9/23/2020 at 4:56 PM, Morgan MLGman said:

I don't think you understood what I said. Let me give you an example - what if there were, say two competing candidates in an election. What if Google, as the largest search engine in the world decided that they preferred one of the candidates over the other, and adjusted their search engine so when people googled the names of the candidate it mostly showed negative coverage of one candidate, and a mostly positive one of the other?
How could you verify that they were actually doing that, and how would you prevent such behaviour?

Google being such a dominant force will probably not do such a thing to damage their credibility considering they are so big and whistleblowers are always there.

Like Steve (GN) blew the lid off MSI's shady tactics.

• 1 month later...