Which temporary GPU to buy while waiting for 3080?

Jintheeast

Hey guys, 

New here...I am planning to do my first build...I already have a Ryzen 5 3600 and a MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk motherboard...I'm ordering more parts...but, I know that now is not a good time to buy a Gpu...I plan to get a 3080 in the future once they become readily available, but here's what I was thinking....just get a "cheap" GPU (~$200) to hold me over for a few months or so....what do you guys recommend? I have a 4K monitor at 60hz....I just want something to hold me over and also act as a backup in case I need one...

Thanks in advance!

if you just need a display output, literally get any GPU. You can probably find some old display cards for practically free by finding old computers that schools are throwing away, digging in the attic for that old PC, or something.

If you want to game, then you should probably shoot for 1080p 60fps for the time being. RX580, 5700 (XT), GTX 1070, GTX 1660, etc.

You will lose money when reselling these though.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Get like a GT 1030 for just a monitor. Or a 1650 super if you wanna 1080p game until the 3080 comes.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

Man you guys are great! Thanks for the input...I am from the states, but I live in Myanmar now...so, I will be ordering something from the states...I have a company that ships things pretty cheap...over here prices are ridiculous...and there aren't a lot of otions...thanks again!

1 hour ago, Dean0919 said:

If you refrain from gaming,

Blasphemous!

OP: 1050ti or 1060 will do 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Lol ..."Blasphemous!"

Yeah, its tough to decide what to do. Right now there is no shipping here...this city is under "Stay at home" orders...so, I guess I can just wait and see if anything changes with Gpu prices in the next month while I pick out components for the new build...thx!

On 9/22/2020 at 4:08 AM, Dean0919 said:

If you refrain from gaming, any cheapest card will do the job.

Well I'm upgrading the second machine with a GT 710 it can't even properly drive the 1440p 144hz monitor.  Updating it to a GTX 1650 super that was a really good deal.  I was just using RDP/Teamviewer.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

On 9/22/2020 at 4:55 PM, Jintheeast said:

here...I am planning to do my first build...I already have a Ryzen 5 3600 and a MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk motherboard...I'm ordering more parts...but, I know that now is not a good time to buy a Gpu...I

wait for ryzen 4/5000

and more new gpu coming

Well, I got the cpu already ... just something nice to get me started...but, yeah...I know that your right....it's just so hard to wait...lol

I will just save up and upgrade it after I get things going

just hit up craigslist or ebay and get the cheapest thing you can find. Although instead of literally pissing away money on a temp solution why not just hold squat for a bit and buy the card you want when it becomes available to you? also Team Red is better wait till their announcement for the new cards maybe you'll want one of theirs instead of a 3080

RTX 2080 Super from EVGA

Register for step up program

Replace with 3080 when they have them + $20

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

On 9/22/2020 at 4:55 AM, Jintheeast said:

Hey guys, 

New here...I am planning to do my first build...I already have a Ryzen 5 3600 and a MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk motherboard...I'm ordering more parts...but, I know that now is not a good time to buy a Gpu...I plan to get a 3080 in the future once they become readily available, but here's what I was thinking....just get a "cheap" GPU (~$200) to hold me over for a few months or so....what do you guys recommend? I have a 4K monitor at 60hz....I just want something to hold me over and also act as a backup in case I need one...

Thanks in advance!

buy the cheapest EVGA RTX card that will allow you to do the step up program 

SFF Time N-ATX V2 - Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI - AMD Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090 - LG C2 OLED 42"