Can I mount my PSU the way?

Spainz
Go to solution Solved by Spainz,

ok thx

I need to know, can I mount my PSU in this case in a way I want. I want the LED screen to be right-side up, and the screen is PSU mount-dependent (can't flip the image)... I know that if I mount the PSU in the case with the fan / grill part of the PSU pointing towards the inside of my case rather then towards the outside, I can get the correct orientation of the LED screen. However, if I mount it this way, is it likely that the interior of the PSU shroud of the case, though cut out with it's own grill-style, will the two grills conflict and OR is it likely that I will not get enough air to the PSU this way, or because there is a PSU case shroud cut out period, that this is an unfounded concern? I have attached pics of everything I'm referring to. The case is the Fractal Meshify S2 and the PSU is the ASUS ROG THOR 850

I know that if I mount it this way the Case PSU shroud will block the screen anyways, but I plan to take a Dremel to it and cut a viewing hole for it anyways.

Screen Shot 2020-09-20 at 1.11.22 AM.png

Screen_Shot_2020-09-20_at_1_11.36_AM.png

Screen_Shot_2020-09-20_at_1_14.33_AM.png

Screen_Shot_2020-09-20_at_1_14.36_AM.png

there's no picture of the other side of the PSU, so I can't tell if there's an OLED screen there

but you can mount it fan facing up anyways, the shroud is perforated so it should be able to receive air, albeit warm air.

the fractal PSU mount bracket can probably be flipped 180, allowing you to mount fan side up, double check with fractal design or someone with the casing if you can.

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

5 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

there's no picture of the other side of the PSU, so I can't tell if there's an OLED screen there

There isn't (which is probably why Asus doesn't show pictures of the other side).

You can see a photo of the other side in reviews, such as this one from Kitguru. https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/asus-rog-thor-850w-platinum-power-supply-review/3/

18 minutes ago, Spainz said:

The case is the Fractal Meshify S2 and the PSU is the ASUS ROG THOR 850

Are you planning on cutting a hole in the PSU shroud so you can see the OLED screen on the power supply? If you haven't noticed then the shroud on the Fractal Meshify S2 blocks the view of the power supply. You wouldn't be able to see the OLED screen no matter which way it's facing.

image.png.8e71019f3c1d9d96740d1d94e428bccc.png

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Are you planning on cutting a hole in the PSU shroud so you can see the OLED screen on the power supply?

21 minutes ago, Spainz said:

I know that if I mount it this way the Case PSU shroud will block the screen anyways, but I plan to take a Dremel to it and cut a viewing hole for it anyways.

Just now, Moonzy said:

snip

Ah, I missed that. It's actually difficult to read their post with all the different colours and bolded and underlined stuff.

Well, if you're already planning on taking a dremel to the case to cut holes then if you're worried about the ventilation through the shroud just take a dremel to that too.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

16 minutes ago, Spainz said:

ok thx

that said, i'm a bit concerned about the warm air that your psu will suck in, because I cant find any info about the temperature rated for the PSU

edit: there's this from tom's hardware

image.png.089cb9740f9a9a8f896acf46795b4667.png

if it's 50c then I wouldn't worry about it

Hardware with readouts on them are just gimmicks.

The sensors are great but just view the data in software not on the hardware.

If the sensors can send the data to software then you don’t need to cut a hole.

Also buying a case without a PSU shroud would solve this.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

10 minutes ago, NineEyeRon said:

Aesthetics

4 minutes ago, NineEyeRon said:

Hardware with readouts on them are just gimmicks.

The sensors are great but just view the data in software not on the hardware.

Also buying a case without a PSU shroud would solve this.

The OLED power meter on the Asus Thor is pretty useless. It's a measure of how much power the PSU is drawing from the socket and not a measure of how much it's outputting. It's basically a Kill-a-watt type power meter built in to the PSU, except a kill-a-watt will actually give more information, track usage over time, and you can program it with the electricity cost to estimate how much appliances are costing. And you don't need to cut holes in your case to see a power meter.

Unlike other power supplies with actual monitoring the Asus Thor doesn't have software readout. It's just what is displayed on the OLED screen.

Like you said it's nothing but a gimmick. The PSU as a power supply is actually fairly decent so there's no dramas there. The OLED screen is just a "value add", though whether or not it's worth the price over other PSUs is up to people to decide for themselves, and dependant on how much it costs vs comparable power supply like the Seasonic units they're based on. If you need to cut holes in your case to use it then I would say it's not worth it. Just buy a kill-a-watt instead, or a PSU with software monitoring.

The Corsair HX850i has software monitoring and would be a good alternative to the Asus ROG Thor 850W and the software monitoring provides much more useful information and features, though the downside to software monitoring is it's software based and not everyone likes Corsair's iCue software or they might be running Linux where I don't think it's supported yet(?).

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

that said, i'm a bit concerned about the warm air that your psu will suck in, because I cant find any info about the temperature rated for the PSU

That shouldn't be a problem.