Ways to counter hardware scalping?

Autoism

It's really down to three options:

1) Communism

2) Anarchism

3) Retail prices that make sense for the available supply instead of arbitrary magic numbers that maybe make us look good on paper.

Alternative 3 has many variants:

3.a) set the market-clearing price from the get go

3.b) have more supply

3.c) auction all the units you have

probably more

On 9/19/2020 at 11:37 AM, Senzelian said:

"Don't buy from scalpers and wait" is my personal solution.

True, there's also that, although it's kind of wishing the problem ("problem"?) away. In the end there are people who like a new GPU better than $2,000 in their pocket or spent elsewhere, so they have no incentives not to buy (they probably aren't complaining in forums either, though).

1 hour ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

In the end there are people 

That sums it up.

Nothing I can do about people being people and them doing shitty stuff in a free market.

The only real solution to this is

1 hour ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

3.b) have more supply

On 9/19/2020 at 4:29 PM, Autoism said:

Figured

Considering retail also loves to scalp, it really does not matter, as long scalping isn't illegal it will be done. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

15 hours ago, Senzelian said:

The only real solution to this is

How is that a solution when the stock is artificially limited by manufacturers? 

ie so called "paper launches", do you think you can force manufacturers to only launch when they have stock for the entire population? Good luck with that. 

A better solution would be to make MSRP *binding* by law... (as that would actually work at least in terms of saying "oh look this item is only 500, except you can never get it at this price lul") 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

14 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Not having enough stock for everyone doesn't mean artificially limiting stock.

Retailers change the price, not manufacturers. AMD and NVIDIA want to sell as many gpus as they can.

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock H97 Pro4 CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.30 Ghz Intel Xeon E3-1271v3 @4.00 Ghz RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 Mhz (9-9-9-27)

GPU: MSI 390 8Gb Gaming Edition PSU: XFX TS 650w Bronze Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w 80+ Gold MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum KEYBOARD: Monokey Standard Suave Blue

STORAGE: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250Gb // HDD WD Green 1Tb // HDD WD Blue 4Tb // HDD WD Blue 160Gb CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed OS: Windows 11 Pro x64 Bit

MONITORS: Samsung CFG7 C24FG7xFQ @144hz // Samsung SyncMaster TA350 LT23A350 @60hz Samsung Odyssey G7 COOLER: Noctua NH-D15

20 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

The solution implies that they wouldn't artificially limit the stock. But let me take a shortcut: People are *ssholes. So yeah, that doesnt work.

Doesn't mean it isn't the solution tho.

force manufacturers to only launch when they have stock for the entire population

No, no one ever said that.

A better solution would be to make MSRP *binding* by law...

Holy sh*t that would be bad.

Imagine the manufacturer can decide the prices of retailers. That would put all retailers immediately out of business.

Here's a fun fact:
In the EU the MSRP (in Germany UVP) is commonly used by retailers to advertise products.
The manufacturer suggests an artificial retail price that is up to 10x greater than the actual retail price, so that retailers can then heavily "discount" them, but they have to disclose that. So for example a Samsung TV has an MSRP of 1000€, but the retailer sells it to you for 500€ and says that it's discounted 50%. In the US this is seemingly the other way around, where the MSRP is taken as a valid price, as if that's what the product has to cost.

I guess what I am saying is, that in the EU we got already used to being lied to, so that we don't take MSRPs serious anymore, while for some reason across the pond everyone holds on to the MSRP.

(Also I'm making the assumption that the MSRP behaves similar in all EU countries compared to Germany here. So take that with a grain of salt)

52 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

The solution implies that they wouldn't artificially limit the stock. But let me take a shortcut: People are *ssholes. So yeah, that doesnt work.

Yeah, exactly, doesn't work. 

Hence forth 

Doesn't mean it isn't the solution tho.

It isn't the solution

No, no one ever said that.

So how do you make sure there's enough stock for everyone, let the manufacturer evaluate it?  :lol

that would be bad

True, if you take it literally, I didn't mean retailers not being allowed to under cut it. 

Also the thing you said about MSRP isn't widely applicable, even in Germany (see NVIDIA GPUs for example, or candy... or anything really) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

51 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

It isn't the solution

It is.

51 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

So how do you make sure there's enough stock for everyone, let the manufacturer evaluate it?  :lol

I don't.

58 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

True, if you take it literally, I didn't mean retailers not being allowed to under cut it. 

Then we end up at the exact scenario that I described, which suddenly would become applicable to Nvidia GPUs and all other hardware.

We're running in circles...

I'm still in favor of letting the market decide.

10 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

I'm still in favor of letting the market decide.

Which is your good right, however it's also what enables scalping... 

I tried to explain that it's not possible for manufacturers to provide enough stock for everyone - it may work for food etc (also only because of high state's side subsidies most likely) but it doesn't work for "luxury" electronic goods like high end gaming gpus, especially not when having limited stock means free advertising for the manufacturer. 

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this matter I suppose.  

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 hours ago, Senzelian said:

Here's a fun fact:
In the EU the MSRP (in Germany UVP) is commonly used by retailers to advertise products.

In Canada there was actually a court case against retailers selling mattresses.  They would always just give a list price more than double and sell them at "deep discounts".    It cost HBC 4.5million CAD after they lost the case at the competition tribunal.  

Canada's competition bureau is in charge of that. 

40 minutes ago, Heliian said:

In Canada there was actually a court case against retailers selling mattresses.  They would always just give a list price more than double and sell them at "deep discounts".    It cost HBC 4.5million CAD after they lost the case at the competition tribunal.  

Canada's competition bureau is in charge of that. 

Interesting.

I'm all for customer protection laws, but I also believe that if we take everyone by the hand, then we end up with a really dumbed down society.

When I worked in the retail-business I really quickly understood that people's buying decisions are mostly nonsense and that they can't read, no matter how giant the text is. 

I think I spend roughly 30% of my time there to educate people, instead of trying to sell them stuff, which in return helped to boost sales, because I introduced our business to something called "customers trust". Anyway, I'm rambling again... 😛 

Nvidia and their hardware partners don’t care because they’re getting the money regardless along with free hype. Nothing illegal is happening either.

Supply and demand, really. That’s all it is. It’s purely a consumer created issue.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

The thing that nobody is mentioning, Ebay. They are the ones allowing the scalpers to continue profiting the way they are. If Ebay didn't allow the scalpers to sell, at least that would be a start. Sure they'll always find a way but maybe it would slow things down.

i9 13900k | MSI Z790 CARBON WiFi | 32GB Kingston FURY Beast | Asus TUF Gaming 4090 OC | WD Black NVMe 1TB | WD 2TB SSD | Thermaltake 1350 80 Plus Gold | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420mm | Windows 11 Pro | Alienware 240hz | Phanteks Eclipse P500A Digital LED | HyperX Alloy | Logitech G502 | HyperX Alpha

6 minutes ago, Mondale said:

The thing that nobody is mentioning, Ebay. They are the ones allowing the scalpers to continue profiting the way they are. If Ebay didn't allow the scalpers to sell, at least that would be a start. Sure they'll always find a way but maybe it would slow things down.

From eBay's perspective, why should they step in for something that's non essential? They only did it with stuff like toilet paper, hand sanitizer, etc. earlier this year because of Coronavirus fears and the price gouging on essential items. Items where not being able to acquire them could put yourself and your family at risk. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580