I7 6700k with a Enermax Liqmax II 120S

I recently bought a used I7-6700k, but I have been having some trouble with its temperature and the mounting, the two problems could be related.

First, the mounting, After changing the CPU, and having no problems doing so, I start the computer, the LEDs and fans turn on, but the monitor dosent recive any signal, After Reading this post: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/problem-with-new-cpu.3351778/

I First tried to run the PC without the cooler, It Turner on, so I immediatly turned It Off, and tried to screw in the cooler less thightily, and It worked.

So,  I Am Using am the Enermax Liqmax II 120S as cooling, and I never had problems with my I5-6500, It usualy never went higher then 45C° or so.

With the I7 at 4GHz, its around 35 at idle, spiking to 60 when opening programs and such,and picks at 85 under load,staying at around 82.

I olso tried to overclock It, I followed this old video 

as a guide, I tried 4.5 MGhz, and it quickly reached 100C° running folding at home (I know I should use a proper stress test, but for now I am only concerned with the temperature) I tried 4.2 and had very similar resulsts,It Just took more time, then 4.1, and It was at around 92 After 10 minutes.

The all time I kept the voltage setting on adaptive mode.

From what I have seen, this temperatures are not normal, but I couldent confirm It in any way, so I tought about possibile reasons, and of cours, I was thingking It might be that now the cooler isent tightend enough, (I tried to screw It in as tight as a I could befour It stoped booting) 

Could the CPU be defective in some way, that dosent allow me to get the water block on tight enough?

I olso tought It could be the termale paste, I used the leftovers from the One that was included with the AIO, there was enough of It, the problem Is that It as been sitting there for at least 3 years, could It have gone bad or something like that?

Of course, It could be lack of airflow, but even dough my system Is packed preatty tight, I have a couple of intake fans and there are only a couple of cables in front of the radiator.

Build

Motherboard: Asus Z170I

CPU:I7-6700k

RAM: 4x2Gb 2400MHz Hyper X Fury

GPU:GTX 1070

AIO:Enermax liqmax II 120s

Case: Itek spacebox.

I would advise against OC on a 120 mm AIO in general. The 6700k has over 30 percent more heat output than the i5 at stock speed. You would need a 240 AIO push pull or a large tower cooler with 2 fans to tame that beast.

Your case looks pretty limited in cooler support. If you stick with the current AIO, use stock clocks and set the fans on the AIO to 100 percent.

18 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

I would advise against OC on a 120 mm AIO in general. The 6700k has over 30 percent more heat output than the i5 at stock speed. You would need a 240 AIO push pull or a large tower cooler with 2 fans to tame that beast.

Your case looks pretty limited in cooler support. If you stick with the current AIO, use stock clocks and set the fans on the AIO to 100 percent.

I see, thank you, but what about the temperature at the normal 4GHz? Arent dose a bit too High as well?

First thing I'd do is unmount your cooler and look at the radiator. Enermax coolers have a history of literally growing slime. GamersNexus did a video on it, others have too.

Once the cooler's off, if you can return it, I would. I went through two Liqmax II 240S coolers and a 120S. The first 240S arrived filthy and trashed inside the box, looking like it had been drop-kicked, returned, the resold to me as new. The second was great for about six months, then it leaked and blew up a system. The 120S fan died in about a month, and by that point, I no longer cared enough to argue with them.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 minute ago, Tumidend65 said:

I see, thank you, but what about the temperature at the normal 4GHz? Arent dose a bit too High as well?

Yes, too high for my taste. You should keep the CPU under 80 C if you can. Does your case allow larger AIOs?

5 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Yes, too high for my taste. You should keep the CPU under 80 C if you can. Does your case allow larger AIOs?

Maby, I Am not sure, and to be honest its not really something I can buy right now, but in the future its not out of the picture to buy both a New cooler and new case.

So in the end the problem was Simply that I overestimated my cooler's capabilitys, thank you very much for the help.

39 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

First thing I'd do is unmount your cooler and look at the radiator. Enermax coolers have a history of literally growing slime. GamersNexus did a video on it, others have too.

Once the cooler's off, if you can return it, I would. I went through two Liqmax II 240S coolers and a 120S. The first 240S arrived filthy and trashed inside the box, looking like it had been drop-kicked, returned, the resold to me as new. The second was great for about six months, then it leaked and blew up a system. The 120S fan died in about a month, and by that point, I no longer cared enough to argue with them.

Thank you, I Will look in to It.