$1000 +/- $150 PC for solidworks recommendations

Hey guys, I'll try to keep this short.

Because I am not completely familiar with this specific area of purpose built workstations I'm looking for some recommendations for a workstations PC build for a friend, that's going to be working mainly in programs such as SolidWorks.

So far I was thinking about something like this:

CPU: Something like the Intel Core i7-10700K OR AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - AMD is cheaper, but Intel prob has better single core performance, which is what you want specifically for SolidWorks.. AMD might be best for overall PC performance (plus the boards are cheaper)

CPU Cooler: stock

RAM: Probably going to go for 2 x 8GB (for now) DDR4-3200MHz+, can upgrade later

Motherboard: A nice B450/B550 board OR similar Intel supported board

Video Card: P1000 OR P2000

Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2 NVME Solid State Drive - can't go wrong with that

Case: something like the NZXT H510

Power Supply: need a little help with choosing decent low wattage PSU's

I am kindly asking for some advice! Thank you in advance.

Budget (including currency): $1000 +/- $150

Country: Slovenia, EUROPE (I don't mine you guys using USD, since US Dollars are roughly equal to Euros)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Solidworks

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hey guys, I'll try to keep this short..

Because I am not completely familiar with this specific area of purpose built workstations I'm looking for some recommendations for a workstations PC build for a friend, that's going to be working mainly in programs such as SolidWorks.

CPU: Something like the Intel Core i7-10700K OR AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - AMD is cheaper, but Intel prob has better single core performance, which is what you want specifically for SolidWorks.. AMD might be best for overall PC performance (plus the boards are cheaper)

CPU Cooler: stock

RAM: Probably going to go for 2 x 8GB (for now) DDR4-3200MHz+, can upgrade later

Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2 NVME Solid State Drive - can't go wrong with that

P.S. I previously posted the same question in the general discussion thread, am deleting that one as we speak. Thanks.

3 minutes ago, gal-m said:

Hey guys, I'll try to keep this short.

Because I am not completely familiar with this specific area of purpose built workstations I'm looking for some recommendations for a workstations PC build for a friend, that's going to be working mainly in programs such as SolidWorks.

CPU Cooler: stock

The 10700k doesn't even have a stock cooler it needs a pretty decent unit to even cool well.

For the gpu I do not recommend a P1000 or P2000 as these are pretty old now and consumer cards are overall faster now which kinda beats the purpose of these. That and they are really expensive.

Solidworks GOBBLES UP ram like it's nobody's business. You really really really want as much as possible.

This leaves you 200 for a gpu. I would recommend snagging a rtx2000 series from ebay for pretty cheap now as that would fair better than the p1000 or 2000.

1 minute ago, CircleTech said:

The really important thing here is how complex will OPs models be? If they are like mine and just small renders for 3D printing and school, you probably need way less than you think. It's only after getting into fluid dynamics and stress simulations on really complicated objects do you need an actually good computer. 

That and if you slap on a fancy shader :p.

7 minutes ago, James Evens said:

Unless you need it right now/can wait a couple of month maybe wait for the 4/5gen. ryzen to launch and Intel response to it.

Yeah, told him the same thing. We'll see what we can do. The thing is in my country PC parts are a lot more expensive than in the US, especially the newly released ones...

6 minutes ago, jaslion said:

The 10700k doesn't even have a stock cooler it needs a pretty decent unit to even cool well.

For the gpu I do not recommend a P1000 or P2000 as these are pretty old now and consumer cards are overall faster now which kinda beats the purpose of these. That and they are really expensive.

Solidworks GOBBLES UP ram like it's nobody's business. You really really really want as much as possible.

I know. I am really trying to avoid Intel as their CPU's are a lot more expensive. Not to mention the motherboards. 

We can try and push to 32GB. Which consumer cards are you talking about specifically?

8 minutes ago, jaslion said:

snagging a rtx2000 series from ebay for pretty cheap now as that would fair better than the p1000 or 2000.

He probably won't like buying second hand, so I think that's not going to be possible.

Just now, gal-m said:

I know. I am really trying to avoid Intel as their CPU's are a lot more expensive. Not to mention the motherboards. 

We can try and push to 32GB. Which consumer cards are you talking about specifically?

The build I posted is perfectly in budget and has 32gb of ram. You can always just drop the cpu to a 3700.

The rtx 2060 is a good startingpoint and is really dropping in value right now on the used market.

1 minute ago, gal-m said:

He probably won't like buying second hand, so I think that's not going to be possible.

Well then drop the cpu to a 3700 and get a new 2060.

9 minutes ago, CircleTech said:

The really important thing here is how complex will OPs models be? If they are like mine and just small renders for 3D printing and school, you probably need way less than you think. It's only after getting into fluid dynamics and stress simulations on really complicated objects do you need an actually good computer.

I don't think fluid dynamics are going to be a problem anytime soon. For now things are looking quite simple. Will meet with him sometime this week so he can tell me in a bit more detail about what kind of stuff he works with. 

11 minutes ago, CircleTech said:

Dual LGA 2011-1 workstations on eBay. You can deck out a workstation with 128GB of RAM for under $1000 easily assuming you are using ECC registered server memory.

I LOVE LGA 2011. Typing from an X79 board atm. The thing is he won't like the whole used concept. So it's out of the question for now..

Hey @jaslion, @James Evens & @CircleTech thank you for all of your replies - I truly appreciate them. 

I do however need to mention I have probably posted this in the wrong thread, so I'm going to be linking you the same post, in the correct thread.

Thanks for understanding.

-= Topics Merged =-

Yes, Moderators can do this.

Please do not multi-post topics, just report your own topic and ask for it to be moved.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

Please do not multi-post topics just report your own topic and ask for it to be moved.

Hey thanks for that. I didn't know that that could be done! Appreciate it. 

So, he's going to be working with models such as this one in this YT video (video should start at around 24 minutes, if not, skip):