micron e-die vs b-die for 3900x

Which one do you think will overclock better with a 3900x ? (mobo : b550 aorus elite)

Apparently micron is better for ryzen 3000 end b550 mobo ?

Rev-E is easier on the memory controller compared to Samsung B-die, so it's a pretty good option for Ryzen.

You probably won't be going over 3733/3800MHz anyway though, and a 3900X will probably be okay even with B-die at those frequencies, unless you just get really unlucky with the memory controller in which case different memory ICs probably won't help you anyway.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

30 minutes ago, SnooPainting8310 said:

Apparently micron is better for ryzen 3000 end b550 mobo ?

no, not really. 

B-die does timings better, while Rev E does frequency well. 

and since you essentially have a frequancy ceiling of 3800mhz, you should tighten the timings as much as possible. 

7 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

no, not really. 

B-die does timings better, while Rev E does frequency well. 

and since you essentially have a frequancy ceiling of 3800mhz, you should tighten the timings as much as possible. 

Is latency still that important if I don't game at all ? I have no interest in fps...

4 minutes ago, SnooPainting8310 said:

Is latency still that important if I don't game at all ? I have no interest in fps...

it helps overall performance if the task is latency sensetive. 

idk what work you are doing, if it needs bandwitdth, then you should go 2:1 ratio and loose timing Rev E. but it really depends on the task

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

it helps overall performance if the task is latency sensetive. 

idk what work you are doing, if it needs bandwitdth, then you should go 2:1 ratio and loose timing Rev E. but it really depends on the task

The task I do don't use ram speed or latency the only important thing is the quantity of ram, but the software I use is only cpu reliant. So is latency very important for my ryzen ? more important than speed ? 

17 minutes ago, SnooPainting8310 said:

So is latency very important for my ryzen ? more important than speed ? 

idk,. it highly task dependant. 

Yeah the rev-e and I got them sold to me enough from redditors... as i also posted threads there to ask (also here and there)... As of now my final opinion is that b-dies have definitely better raw performances but they aren't worth the 30 euros diffs for my current usage.

But hell ram optimization seems light years more complicated than cpu overclocking...

1 hour ago, SnooPainting8310 said:

Yeah the rev-e and I got them sold to me enough from redditors... as i also posted threads there to ask (also here and there)... As of now my final opinion is that b-dies have definitely better raw performances but they aren't worth the 30 euros diffs for my current usage.

But hell ram optimization seems light years more complicated than cpu overclocking...

Unfortunately that is also a benefit to b-die.  It's been around forever and since so many prefer it there's lots of into about what it can and can't do.  People are still learning on these newer die types.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

11 minutes ago, nick name said:

Unfortunately that is also a benefit to b-die.  It's been around forever and since so many prefer it there's lots of into about what it can and can't do.  People are still learning on these newer die types.  

How is that unfortunate ?

15 minutes ago, nick name said:

People are still learning on these newer die types.  

and people have learned that these newer dies might clock well, but they dont time well. and that newer ICs are generally made to yield JEDEC spec. so you wlll generally find that the older dies are kinda the "best"

3 minutes ago, SnooPainting8310 said:

How is that unfortunate ?

In that you went with something else and that you won't have the data from others to help with the light years more complicated RAM overclocking.  Though that might make it a more fun endeavor.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

9 minutes ago, nick name said:

In that you went with something else and that you won't have the data from others to help with the light years more complicated RAM overclocking.  Though that might make it a more fun endeavor.  

Oh found quite a lot of people using rev-e on my quest on reddit... Some of them even shared their numbers set up, one was even running at 3800 c14 !!!!! to me that's exactly what I want to do and I won't make further digging when I will achieve a similar result.. (like 3800 c16 would be fine) That's litteraly my end goal with those ram, without going over 1.45v (is 1.5/1.6v daily fine thou ? for rev-e )

17 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

and people have learned that these newer dies might clock well, but they dont time well. and that newer ICs are generally made to yield JEDEC spec. so you wlll generally find that the older dies are kinda the "best"

What do you mean by they don't time well ? I think someone pointed out something similar in that thread's comment (watch the "debate" between @MemoryDemonstration and @malphadour)

This 2 days old thread is also very interesting : https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/irjwaa/version_2_sorry_for_ryzen_zen2_owners_simple/

36 minutes ago, SnooPainting8310 said:

What do you mean by they don't time well ?

they dont run tight timings all that easily. 

something B-die does well, meanwhile CJR and Rev E clock fairly well. 

7 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

they dont run tight timings all that easily. 

something B-die does well, meanwhile CJR and Rev E clock fairly well. 

Ohh ok... I see

Also I just learned about the FlareX rams (for amd)... How better a 3200 c14 kit would perform compared to a 3600 c16 on a benchmark like cinebench20 ?

2 minutes ago, SnooPainting8310 said:

How better a 3200 c14 kit would perform compared to a 3600 c16 on a benchmark like cinebench20 ?

as i said, ram is very specific to tasks. 

and cinebench is one that doesnt care a lot. 

also "for amd" is just regular memmory, id just get cheap rev E

1 hour ago, nick name said:

The new die types, smaller IC, doesnt scale on voltage well. This fact is why mainly B die is an overclocker enthusiast choice over any other die make out there.

Woomack at OverclockersForums.com would be the guy to ask while this man has tested quite a good variety of memory. Pretty sure he has a dedicated thread too. I'd link it, but it seems like everyone here knows their shit.

Choose between E-die and B-Die? 

I'd choose the B.

The RGB is what makes the memory expensive.

For you Nick, look at Newegg business for a nice kit 16gb 2x8 - 3600mhz 16-16-16-36 1T for 99$ no rgb. They will do 4000mhz on the XMP timings. ;)

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

-snip-

For you Nick, look at Newegg business for a nice kit 16gb 2x8 - 3600mhz 16-16-16-36 1T for 99$ no rgb. They will do 4000mhz on the XMP timings. ;)

Thanks for that.  I bought a 3600C15 kit recently for $125 and a 4400C19 kit which is $35 cheaper now so it's really an attractive deal at $159.  

Just now, nick name said:

Thanks for that.  I bought a 3600C15 kit recently for $125 and a 4400C19 kit which is $35 cheaper now so it's really an attractive deal at $159.  

When my 4267mhz kit was released 2x8gb was over 300 bucks. Now about half of that. 

I run them at CL 14-14-14 for benching 1.60v 

26 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

When my 4267mhz kit was released 2x8gb was over 300 bucks. Now about half of that. 

I run them at CL 14-14-14 for benching 1.60v 

That new 3600C15 kit was half as much as I paid for my first kit.  

5 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Ah here's that link for ya Nick.

Have you seen this one yet?

https://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/732290-Woomack-s-memory-test-list

This is not an advertisement. Pure information only.

Thanks for that.  I'm pretty sure I stumbled across that before buying my 4400C19 kit, but I didn't really give it a read as it didn't have the kit listed.