Upgrading the old 2133 ram !

I use a 3900x now and the dilemma is : 3200 c14 vs 3600 c16 (as both are at the exact same price in my region) (G.Skill RipV ones)

By buying the 3200 c14 kit, I plan to overclock them all the time at 3600 c15.75 (> 3600 c16)

But my concern is : Is it safe ? wouldn't it reduce the ram's lifespan compared to just using a stock 3600 c16 ? Because this deal actually sounds too good to be true.

NOTE : I am really new to "ram stuff performances". I only have slight theoretical knowledge (from reading a couple threads) and 0 practical knowledge so that's why I am asking those questions.

10 hours ago, SnooPainting8310 said:

Is it safe ?

assuming you didn't go crazy with voltage it should be fine. 

: 3200 c14 vs 3600 c16

out of the box they'll perform similarly either way, but the cl14 kit is probably b die, which is known for tight timings and good overclocking headroom. 

but as i said, assuming voltages aren't crazy high, it should be fine.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

assuming you didn't go crazy with voltage it should be fine. 

out of the box they'll perform similarly either way, but the cl14 kit is probably b die, which is known for tight timings and good overclocking headroom. 

but as i said, assuming voltages aren't crazy high, it should be fine.

And how much is too much ?

don't go over 1.45 (or maybe 1.5) for daily use for dram voltage, and as for soc, don't go over 1.2.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

don't go over 1.45 (or maybe 1.5) for daily use for dram voltage, and as for soc, don't go over 1.2.

Ok thank you very informative

4 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Also how to know if a ram kit is b-die ?

usually something like 3600 cl16-16-16 or a cl14 kit is b die. 

Build Log: 

11 minutes ago, SnooPainting8310 said:

B-Die can handle 1.5, even 1.6 daily. Also, most timings on B-Die scale with voltage so if you can’t tighten them, add more voltage. 

1 minute ago, gloop said:

B-Die can handle 1.5, even 1.6 daily. Also, most timings on B-Die scale with voltage so if you can’t tighten them, add more voltage. 

Ok good, I really want to go with those 3200 c14 but how much voltage does it run on stock speed ?

5 minutes ago, SnooPainting8310 said:

check rest of the timings. 

if you buy it you check with taiphoon burner. 

20 minutes ago, SnooPainting8310 said:

By buying the 3200 c14 kit, I plan to overclock them all the time at 3600 c15.75 (> 3600 c16)

if overclocking is your stick, there are likely better kits you can get. 

Patriot Viper Steel 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-4400 CL19 Memory (PVS416G440C9K) - PCPartPicker

tho this was a touch more costly than these usually go for. 

offcourse with a 3900x you will have to manually tune them. 

Ok good, I really want to go with those 3200 c14 but how much voltage does it run on stock speed ?

it runs at 1.35v at "stock". 

22 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

check rest of the timings. 

if you buy it you check with taiphoon burner. 

if overclocking is your stick, there are likely better kits you can get. 

Patriot Viper Steel 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-4400 CL19 Memory (PVS416G440C9K) - PCPartPicker

tho this was a touch more costly than these usually go for. 

it runs at 1.35v at "stock". 

My mobo can't handle more than 4000 mhz... (aorus elite b550), thou I could still underclock it I guess to 3800c14 but definitely too expensive...

So if it runs at 1.35v stock will a 400mhz increase keep it under 1.45v ?

3 minutes ago, SnooPainting8310 said:

My mobo can't handle more than 4000 mhz... (aorus elite b550)

um, they must have ducked up the tracing to not be able to do 4000mhz. 

also, again:

26 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

you want to run 1:1 with infinity fabric, so drop timings and speed, might be able to run 3700-3800mhz cl14 if you are lucky. 

So if it runs at 1.35v stock will a 400mhz increase keep it under 1.45v ?

depends, wouldnt be supricing if you got it to 3600mhz cl16 with no voltage increase and then increasing voltage to run 3800mhz or similar. (depends a bit on silicon lottery in regards to CPU)

48 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

um, they must have ducked up the tracing to not be able to do 4000mhz. 

also, again:

you want to run 1:1 with infinity fabric, so drop timings and speed, might be able to run 3700-3800mhz cl14 if you are lucky. 

depends, wouldnt be supricing if you got it to 3600mhz cl16 with no voltage increase and then increasing voltage to run 3800mhz or similar. (depends a bit on silicon lottery in regards to CPU)

Ok I ll go with the TridentZ serie finally

18 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

neither kit you sent is tridentZ?

Yeah I was mistaken those were Ripjaws V... I dug a bit more and in my country ballistix 3600 c16 cost 80 euro and Ripjaws V 110 euro... Does brand matter down the road ?

3 minutes ago, SnooPainting8310 said:

Yeah I was mistaken those were Ripjaws V... I dug a bit more and in my country ballistix 3600 c16 cost 80 euro and Ripjaws V 110 euro... Does brand matter down the road ?

ballistix is Rev E. its a slightly worse IC. tho still pretty capable. 

brand doesnt matter. 

8 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

ballistix is Rev E. its a slightly worse IC. tho still pretty capable. 

brand doesnt matter. 

Yeah but is it worth paying 30 euros more for a Slightly better IC as I won't overclock my ram if they already are at 3600mhz... I think the answer is no.

Also where can I find the IC number of a certain ram model as you do? is that kind of number 16-16-16-32-48 a ic number ?

1 minute ago, SnooPainting8310 said:

16-16-16-32-48 a ic number ?

those are timings. 

1 minute ago, SnooPainting8310 said:

Also where can I find the IC number of a certain ram model as you do?

most of it is guesswork using the capability of the given IC. at least thats how i do it. Ballistics at 3000mhz and above is usually Rev E.

ballistics is rev E for the most part. since its Microns brand. you can check for B-die when the timings and speed arent doable on a given IC. 

On 9/15/2020 at 2:33 AM, GoldenLag said:

those are timings. 

most of it is guesswork using the capability of the given IC. at least thats how i do it. Ballistics at 3000mhz and above is usually Rev E.

ballistics is rev E for the most part. since its Microns brand. you can check for B-die when the timings and speed arent doable on a given IC. 

I have another quick question (I promise you won't be repeating yourself once again)

My current ram(corsair value select 2133 c15) aren't officially supported by my cpu ? what does it do ? is it hurting my cpu memory controller or just the performances for some tasks ?

26 minutes ago, SnooPainting8310 said:

My current ram(corsair value select 2133 c15) aren't officially supported by my cpu ? what does it do ? is it hurting my cpu memory controller or just the performances for some tasks ?

doesnt do anything, its just means they havent tested that kit for them to put it on the QVL. generally speaking QVL isnt that useful.