Can I connect an EGPU

Takt1kal

Can I connect an EGPU to my old laptop (10 years old)

It's a non - UEFI board and I'll give a screenshot of the specs.

Thanks.Capture.PNG.357a19f143b86a0e8be0fce2d3415d1b.PNGAnd my laptop has no usb C or thunderbolt 3. It's running Phoenix BIOS.

3 minutes ago, knockless said:

has no usb C or thunderbolt 3

No Thunderbolt, no eGPU. Simple as that.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

8 minutes ago, knockless said:

What about a cheap $1 converter from usb to thunderbolt

There is no such a thing.

5 minutes ago, knockless said:

but its a non uefi board

Irrelevant.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

14 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

No Thunderbolt, no eGPU. Simple as that.

Come on Dude :D

What about PCI-e? 

Do you have a spare PCI-e connector? I was using eGPU on this generation of intel device, but it was just PCI0e 1.1, or 1.2, with custom boot and maximum you can run is GTX 580 or so. Everything more was limited by bandwidth.

But it has been 8 years since I did something like this :)

image.png.efd593229282cd853f56014bcba55a68.png

1 minute ago, lexusgamer05 said:

There's always this but that CPU is going to be a huge bottleneck for most graphics cards

Yeah, I was thinking to get a GT 710 but its like 25% bottleneck.

5 minutes ago, madseason said:

Come on Dude :D

What about PCI-e?

You really go and suggest that to someone who has basically zero knowledge of PCs? I didn't mention such a solution because I don't want to suggest OP opening their laptop up and then destroying it.

Whats a PCI e? (im a pc noob) is it the port that looks like VGA?

No. PCIe is inside the laptop.

No need to open if you have a slot. Everyone needs to learn somehow, I was a complete noob when I did my first eGpu, and it took me a week to figure it out, but it was well worth it at the time.

Bplus Technology Co., Ltd. - Newegg.com

Just now, madseason said:

No need to open if you have a slot. Everyone needs to learn somehow, I was a complete noob when I did my first eGpu, and it took me a week to figure it out, but it was well worth it at the time.

Bplus Technology Co., Ltd. - Newegg.com

So I've got to open it up?

you can ask this as many times as you want tbh

the answer will always be the same

11 hours ago, Moonzy said:

short answer is no

long answer is a maybe, but the hassle you'll have to go through to make it work is probably not worth it

i have never attempted this before, i only know that there are ways to plug in PCIE cards to USB, but the latency and bandwidth is so bad that it's not worth considering (might even kill a board)

USB -> NVME -> full size PCIE (with external power because god bless if you're trying to power the gpu from the usb slot)

there's a high chance your laptop might be damaged in the process too, so take note of that

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Yeah, but my bandwith is 18GB/ps

No, it's not. If your laptop even has USB 3.0 - ports, their bandwidth is 5Gbps, not 18Gbps, let alone 18GBps. USB 2.0 - ports have 0.4Gbps bandwidth.

EDIT: I assumed you were talking about USB-ports.

8 minutes ago, madseason said:

personally i dont think this is something a novice should try, especially if he dont have any means to replace his hardware if any is damaged during such a mod.

4 minutes ago, knockless said:

I've got PCI e available :)

but you dont have any methods of using them

Guess I'll take it to the local computer servicing shop after the pandemic. 

4 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

personally i dont think this is something a novice should try, especially if he dont have any means to replace his hardware if any is damaged during such a mod.

I'll try to  get someone else to do it for me, someone who's job is this.

26 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

🤦‍♂️

knockless - what laptop brand and model do you have exactly? I will try to figure it out for you and give you the final answer, because those guys are FAKE NEWS :D

9 minutes ago, madseason said:

🤦‍♂️

I won't be adding anything of value to this thread, but I'm interested to watch how you will guide him so I'll stick around

as for that statement i made, yea it could be false, but i wouldnt be too sure that it can be used too.

as a start, i'll throw in what i think is his laptop (dell inspiron 1564)'s motherboard

dell-inspiron-1564-motherboard-system-bo

I did not notice the board number, but this makes things much easier :)

There is WLAN PCI-e port that can be used. It is Pci-e1.1.

So having PE4H with PM3N adaptor it should be possible - if you can find any available.

Second thing is the boot software, that is probably nowhere to be found - I may have it somewhere on backup CD, if it is still working.

By default it is booting with Pci-e 1.0, so it needs to be modified in boot sequence if I remember correctly. (or check BIOS if you can change it, or what is the default)

Than you need some ancient GPU like GTX 580 or so, and it would be much more beneficial to use external monitor - again - bandwidth limitation.

Last thing needed is PSU that can power it - any 50W above GPU power draw should be fine.

And finally, i3-330m is weak performer, I personally upgraded it to i7-640m, also put 4 more GB of RAM.

So this is the solution for your problem.

The biggest question now is - is it worth it? I guess no one in his right mind will do something like this as:

- Parts are hard to get

- Software is missing

- This tech is long gone, so I would not count on much support on forums etc.

- price of this setup may be more expensive than just getting used laptop with built in GPU newer generation - and muuuuch more less hassle to make it running. 

But if you treat it more like a hobby than a solution - you may go ahead, but if you are short on money and do not know, or do not want to loose you hair in the process - not worth it.