Android 11 launch

Handmeat

Neat. Can't wait for Android 11 to have 8% Adoption by 2087! :P 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

* thread moved to the General Section *

Please, do not backseat moderate, it's directly against the Community Standards, report and move on.

@Handmeat your thread doesn't follow the Tech News posting guidelines, if you want your thread to be moved back, take the time to edit it so it follows posting guidelines ;

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

They finally brought in the screen record feature from iPhone. The media control and android auto updates will be helpful to me as well. 

Many old devices have still not got the Android 10 update and here is Android 11. Guess who would be super pissed with this. 

On 9/9/2020 at 12:33 AM, Handmeat said:

Anroid 11 rolls out and guess what? Pixel owners still get the best stuff.

I think the certified phone calls will be absolutely wonderful once they're more widely adopted and in use.

Source: https://blog.google/products/android/android-11/

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of Galaxy S9s suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

On 9/9/2020 at 8:19 AM, Benjamin22044 said:

Many old devices have still not got the Android 10 update and here is Android 11. Guess who would be super pissed with this. 

This is kinda why I jumped ship. Apple provides like 5 years of support on each device. Some people dont want to replace their phones every two years, id like to get 3, 4 , or even 5 years out of one. Running out dated software in this day and age is not a good idea. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

PSA: You may want to hold back on updating Pixel devices to 11, numerous reported issues. Myself and my spouse having noticeable performance issues, including his freaking out and entering a recovery mode after a hard crash. Issues with the Plex app, etc. 

On 9/12/2020 at 1:32 AM, pokerdog said:

PSA: You may want to hold back on updating Pixel devices to 11, numerous reported issues. Myself and my spouse having noticeable performance issues, including his freaking out and entering a recovery mode after a hard crash. Issues with the Plex app, etc. 

Nice to know the pixel hasn’t changed 

Wait, so is this different to the samsung update my phone wants to do since I bought it few weeks ago or is it incorporated in said update...?

Or in other words how do I avoid getting this trash? 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Wait, so is this different to the samsung update my phone wants to do since I bought it few weeks ago or is it incorporated in said update...?

Or in other words how do I avoid getting this trash? 

You will have to wait for Samsung to update you to Android 11. Manufacturers like Samsung put their own spin on the Android OS, which means it will most likely months before you will get the update. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 9/11/2020 at 3:58 AM, Donut417 said:

Running out dated software in this day and age is not a good idea. 

I believe, unlike MICROSOFT Windows 10 Android does"security updates" mostly by itself if you turn on "instant apps"...

I had my old phone for 6 years, still on android kitkat 4.2 (the best version imo without all that finger scanning fear mongering surveillance nonsense) and what bad things happened to me exactly - in those years I do wonder because I didn't notice nothing, I don't even get spam in my email ...

4 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

You will have to wait for Samsung to update you to Android 11. Manufacturers like Samsung put their own spin on the Android OS

Thank goodness, but that's why I'm asking, I read everywhere about Samsung "UI 2.5" which came just out but nothing if that's android 10 or already 11 based... So I shouldn't get a second separate update, only this 2.5 one... I suppose?

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

I believe, unlike MICROSOFT Windows 10 Android does"security updates" mostly by itself if you turn on "instant apps"...

I had my old phone for 6 years, still on android kitkat 4.2 (the best version imo without all that finger scanning fear mongering surveillance nonsense) and what bad things happened to me exactly - in those years I do wonder because I didn't notice nothing, I don't even get spam in my email ...

Email spam isn't the issue. It's stuff like keyloggers and MITB crap which you can pick up just from visiting websites and then remote hacking using the phones wireless comms.

16 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Email spam isn't the issue. It's stuff like keyloggers and MITB crap which you can pick up just from visiting websites and then remote hacking using the phones wireless comms.

Yeah but shouldn't you mostly be save from that if you at least update your browser etc?

Like I said I think the google play store basically acts as AV, it's why it tells you "no issues found"?

I mean basically it's a trade off between do you want to feel super duper secure at all times or do you want to keep using your device for longer than 1.5 years... Because I don't think it's really an argument that updates will make a  phone slower over time , or half it's battery life etc (happened to me)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

43 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Yeah but shouldn't you mostly be save from that if you at least update your browser etc?

It's security stuff which stops on android after a few years.

Like I said I think the google play store basically acts as AV, it's why it tells you "no issues found"?

The play store has a lot of malware on it there's a news story on it like every 6 months.

I mean basically it's a trade off between do you want to feel super duper secure at all times or do you want to keep using your device for longer than 1.5 years... Because I don't think it's really an argument that updates will make a  phone slower over time , or half it's battery life etc (happened to me)

Or you could get an iPhone which is fully supported for at least 5 years and is infinitely more secure.