GPU died I'm in search of repair.

Aaron_Hundlin

So I'm just going to long story short this one.

I got a used GTX 980 Ti recently from a friend and it seemed to work fine. It stopped working and when I pulled it from my machine it had a loose chip that fell out with singe marks on both soldering points. I don't know how bad the damage is yet as I haven't pulled it apart yet but does anyone know of a local to Houston, TX repair shop that could help or a mail in service shop that could help?

GPU is an: EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW ACX 2.0+

Update: I got it apart figured out it was a resistor and from the looks of it only it burned up

20200908_235252.jpg

Edited by Aaron_Hundlin
Update and photo added

If you have singe marks on the board, then there is a good chance it is toast.  For the money you would spend having someone try to repair it, you would probably be better off just saving up for a replacement.

These guys might help. Give em a call to discuss the issue and scope of work you're wanting them to perform. You might not want to pour a lot of money into this card if something else fried. But if it's one surface mount component, should be easy work I'd think.

https://esuinc.com/about/

On 9/8/2020 at 4:56 PM, Worstcaster said:

If you have singe marks on the board, then there is a good chance it is toast.  For the money you would spend having someone try to repair it, you would probably be better off just saving up for a replacement.

I finally had time to pull it apart and looks like just a simple resistor burned up.

On 9/8/2020 at 4:59 PM, StDragon said:

These guys might help. Give em a call to discuss the issue and scope of work you're wanting them to perform. You might not want to pour a lot of money into this card if something else fried. But if it's one surface mount component, should be easy work I'd think.

https://esuinc.com/about/

I was surface mount, I added a photo to the post after I finally got some time to tear it down. Thanks I'll check them out.

On 9/8/2020 at 6:03 PM, m9x3mos said:

@Aaron_Hundlin

Might also want to try calling Rosman repair group. Linus did a video with him a few times and when Jay broke off a cap from his 2080 ti he talked with them and apparently got a good quote even though they normally do only Mac products. 

https://www.rossmanngroup.com

Funny enough I actually joked about trying to get ahold of them and see what they would say, I guess I missed that bit about Jay breaking his 2080 Ti. Which is a bit odd as I watch all 3 of these groups' YouTube channels. Thanks for the thought

why not just solder on another one. They probably cost a few dollars? I wouldn't pay a "processional" $100 per hour to solder on a resistor, on a very old video card. Just get the resistor yourself from like digikey and solder it on

50 minutes ago, Yoshi Moshi said:

why not just solder on another one. They probably cost a few dollars? I wouldn't pay a "processional" $100 per hour to solder on a resistor, on a very old video card. Just get the resistor yourself from like digikey and solder it on

https://www.amazon.com/ANBES-Soldering-Iron-Kit-Electronics/dp/B06XZ31W3M/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=usb+soldering+iron&qid=1599699712&sr=8-10

That's a sweet deal for everything you need. After shipping of the component from Digikey or Mouser, I'd say the total is under $40 bucks when it's all said and done?

Plus, if it's failure, you keep the kit 👍.

Edit: You might just need to resolder that resister (assuming it's not cracked).

• 3 months later...
On 9/9/2020 at 8:06 PM, StDragon said:

https://www.amazon.com/ANBES-Soldering-Iron-Kit-Electronics/dp/B06XZ31W3M/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=usb+soldering+iron&qid=1599699712&sr=8-10

That's a sweet deal for everything you need. After shipping of the component from Digikey or Mouser, I'd say the total is under $40 bucks when it's all said and done?

Plus, if it's failure, you keep the kit 👍.

Edit: You might just need to resolder that resister (assuming it's not cracked).

It was indeed cracked, just got another exact card from the original one's brother same issue, same cause. Hopefully gonna have success this try around

13 minutes ago, Aaron_Hundlin said:

It was indeed cracked, just got another exact card from the original one's brother same issue, same cause. Hopefully gonna have success this try around

As far as ease of reparability, it doesn't get much better then this. You're lucky it's not some tiny surface mount that requires magnification and a surgeons steady hand.

Oh, and you're going to need soldering wick to remove the old solder. It's also used to remove solder holding components in place too.

I highly recommend watching some beginner how-to videos on soldering. Those guys give some good tips and teach you to avoid rookie mistakes.

Best of luck. 

On 12/11/2020 at 8:09 PM, StDragon said:

As far as ease of reparability, it doesn't get much better then this. You're lucky it's not some tiny surface mount that requires magnification and a surgeons steady hand.

Oh, and you're going to need soldering wick to remove the old solder. It's also used to remove solder holding components in place too.

I highly recommend watching some beginner how-to videos on soldering. Those guys give some good tips and teach you to avoid rookie mistakes.

Best of luck. 

I've done some soldering before but am definitely going to watch everything I can on surface mount components. Now I'm in search of that inductor part number again, as the ones I got last time were too big and didn't work.