Quick question about ethernet cables

Over

I have a 500/100 Mbps internet from my ISP and I'm using their router which supports 1Gbps. Is there any advantage to use a Cat.7 or Cat.8 ethernet cable to connect my PC to the router?

I know it won't be faster, of course, but I wonder about signal stability, latency and such. Or should I just get a Cat.6 ethernet cable and be done with it?

4 minutes ago, Over said:

I have a 500/100 Mbps internet from my ISP and I'm using their router which supports 1Gbps. Is there any advantage to use a Cat.7 or Cat.8 ethernet cable to connect my PC to the router?

No, zero. Cat5e can do 2.5Gbps, so you're way below even Cat5e's capabilities.

5 minutes ago, Over said:

I know it won't be faster, of course, but I wonder about signal stability, latency and such.

Doesn't work like that. If you're worried about signal-integrity and such, you use shielded cable. Shielded Cat5e would still be more than enough. Also, no, it doesn't affect your latency at all. Literally none. That's just not how it works.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

6 minutes ago, Over said:

Is there any advantage to use a Cat.7 or Cat.8 ethernet cable to connect my PC to the router?

Nope.

6 minutes ago, Over said:

Or should I just get a Cat.6 ethernet cable and be done with it?

Yes

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

Cat6 would be your best option here. Cat7/8 are really special use case/enterprise/data center type cables. If you wanted/needed the cross-talk/interference mitigation I'd just go strait to OM3/OM4 fiber cable.

13 minutes ago, Over said:

but I wonder about signal stability, latency and such

stability only if you're having issue with it

latency no

other advantages no, other than armored cable if your cat likes chewing on things (which is super overkill)

14 minutes ago, Over said:

Or should I just get a Cat.6 ethernet cable and be done with it?

yes (again, if it's stable enough for the distance you need, which i think is several meters)

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Ditto on CAT5e. I realize CAT6 is not much more expensive but for day to day operation in a home, there are few reasons as to why to go to CAT6. And future proofing is a weak excuse because most computers are not built to handle more than what a gig adapter will do anyways.