2700x fused/stuck to heatsink

vWORMHAT

Wanted to upgrade my cooler, the cpu ripped out the socket and is stuck to cooler,

I've been

Soaking in %70 alcohol (no where has more than %70)

As well as arctic clean thermal material remover

Tried using the floss method but the cpu is so flush with the cooler Its too thick to get underneath

Also tried heating up the heatsink than twisting but it feels like it's on there rock solid

All the pins look straight any help would be appreciated I'm still searching the net for more info

20200902_203616.jpg

20200902_233001.jpg

3 minutes ago, vWORMHAT said:

Wanted to upgrade my cooler, the cpu ripped out the socket and is stuck to cooler,

I've been

Soaking in %70 alcohol (no where has more than %70)

As well as arctic clean thermal material remover

Tried using the floss method but the cpu is so flush with the cooler Its too thick to get underneath

Also tried heating up the heatsink than twisting but it feels like it's on there rock solid

All the pins look straight any help would be appreciated I'm still searching the net for more info

20200902_203616.jpg

20200902_233001.jpg

seen it happen, nothing unusual. It won't move if you try to lift it, you just wiggle/turn the cpu clockwise - counter clockwise like 10-20 times and it will be free

Either try twisting a little harder a few times to try jiggle it free, or worst case scenario, use a razor/stanley blade to try slice between cpu and heatsink it will come off that way 100% just obviously be careful and dont go too wild.

but good luck and i hope you get them separated soon!

When a man lies he murders some part of the world 
These are the pale deaths 
Which men miscall their lives 
All this I cannot bear to witness any longer 
Cannot the kingdom of salvation 
Take me home

The biggest danger about this situation when you get it off, it might go flying across the room and land pin-side-down. I think your best bet is using a flathead screwdriver and applying firm (but not super hard) pressure on one of the sides until it pops off. Make sure you've got hold of the CPU when you're doing this, because like I said earlier, it may accidentally enter the stratosphere. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

I'd get a hair dryer and heat the copper base of that heatsink.  You can hit the cpu with the hair dryer hot air, the cpu can last up to 100c, and a hair dryer won't heat up your scalp and hair that high, so you won't damage the cpu.

You can try acetone (nail polish remover) as it's a slightly stronger (compared to isopropyl alcohol) solvent, so it should soften the paste a bit faster.  Alternatively, you can use other solvents like gas lighter fluid or WD40 (wd40 is basically solvents plus some anti rust chemicals so as long as you clean the surface afterwards with isopropyl alcohol you'll be fine)

I'd try with some kind of metal ruler, sliding it on one side and gently pushing it from both sides, alternating on both ends to get it inside. Or even better, one of those tools paint scraping tools : https://www.amazon.com/Toughest-Tools-Paint-Scraper-Remover/dp/B07XVBW45J/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=paint+scraper&qid=1599116237&sr=8-2

15 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

The biggest danger about this situation when you get it off, it might go flying across the room and land pin-side-down. I think your best bet is using a flathead screwdriver and applying firm (but not super hard) pressure on one of the sides until it pops off. Make sure you've got hold of the CPU when you're doing this, because like I said earlier, it may accidentally enter the stratosphere. 

20200903_000143.jpg

20200903_000134.jpg

5 minutes ago, mariushm said:

I'd get a hair dryer and heat the copper base of that heatsink.

You can try acetone (nail polish remover) as it's a slightly stronger (compared to isopropyl alcohol) solvent, so it should soften the paste a bit faster.  Alternatively, you can use other solvents like gas lighter fluid or WD40 (wd40 is basically solvents plus some anti rust chemicals so as long as you clean the surface afterwards with isopropyl alcohol you'll be fine)

I'd try with some kind of metal ruler, sliding it on one side and gently pushing it from both sides, alternating on both ends to get it inside. Or even better, one of those tools paint scraping tools : https://www.amazon.com/Toughest-Tools-Paint-Scraper-Remover/dp/B07XVBW45J/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=paint+scraper&qid=1599116237&sr=8-2

Oh dear got it came off! It was insane I bitterly had to hammer it off with a flat head, now I'm worried I broke it with excessive heat but well see, I had a heat gun and temperature gun and tried to not go past 85c. Also I think a tiny tiny bit of arctic cool got on a couple pins should I be worried

18 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

Thanks! Check out the progress , got it off but hopefully I didn't over heat it, also got a tiny bit of arctic cool on the pins when trying to twist it is that okay?

22 minutes ago, Lord Sephington said:

Either try twisting a little harder a few times to try jiggle it free, or worst case scenario, use a razor/stanley blade to try slice between cpu and heatsink it will come off that way 100% just obviously be careful and dont go too wild.

but good luck and i hope you get them separated soon!

Thanks! Check out the progress , got it off but hopefully I didn't over heat it, also got a tiny bit of arctic cool on the pins when trying to twist it is that okay?

You can clean the pins with a bit of cotton or some cloth and wipe with isopropyl alcohol or some sanitary alcohol if you still have them around. 

Worst case scenario the thermal paste acts like an insulator, (like you'd apply electrical tape on the pin) so the pin would no longer make good contact inside the cpu socket. Cleaning it solves that issue.

6 minutes ago, mariushm said:

You can clean the pins with a bit of cotton or some cloth and wipe with isopropyl alcohol or some sanitary alcohol if you still have them around. 

Worst case scenario the thermal paste acts like an insulator, (like you'd apply electrical tape on the pin) so the pin would no longer make good contact inside the cpu socket. Cleaning it solves that issue.

I think it might be okay, it was arctic clean the may have gotten in a line or 2 but I don't think its conductive

Lol an edge got bent so I hope that doesn't hurt too much, hopefully it will work and last till zen 3 😬🤞

4 hours ago, vWORMHAT said:

Lol an edge got bent so I hope that doesn't hurt too much, hopefully it will work and last till zen 3 😬🤞

So it's still working?That'd be epic.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

7 hours ago, Fatih19 said:

So it's still working?That'd be epic.

Lol yeah! I should probably run a stress test but I'm kinda scared to but I think it will be fine. Man fuck preaplied thermal paste especially on that wraith prism they mineaswell just use concrete.

Christ.  That was quite the bit of drama you had to go through.  Well done keeping your cool and getting yourself sorted.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case