Asus Launches the first Wi-Fi 6E router (Coming this December)

Clueless_Gamer

the Asus ROG Rapture GT-AXE11000 is a tri-band gaming router that can send and receive signals in the newly opened 6GHz band.

spacer.png

the Asus ROG Rapture GT-AXE11000, a high-end, tri-band gaming router that'll hit stores in December of this year. Like the previous router in the lineup, the ROG Rapture GT-AX11000, the new model features eight antennas in a modern, show-offy design meant to appeal to gamers -- but as the extra "E" in the model number suggests, it adds in support for Wi-Fi 6E.

"Asus is an established leader in the networking market and was the first to launch a Wi-Fi 6 router," the company said in its press release announcing the product. "Now Asus is delivering the wider bandwidth and increased 160 MHz channels of Wi-Fi 6E with ROG Rapture GT-AXE11000, the world's first Wi-Fi 6E router."

Pricing details are still yet to be determined, but given that the previous Wi-Fi 6 model is still selling for $450, you shouldn't expect the GT-AXE11000 to come cheap once it arrives.

The big benefit of support for Wi-Fi 6E is that it allows devices to access a massive swath of relatively untapped bandwidth in the 6GHz band. With 1,200MHz, it's more than twice as wide as the 5GHz band, which allows for a greater number of wider channels that can pass traffic faster and more efficiently. And, since there aren't any legacy Wi-Fi devices in that band, it'll serve as a semi-exclusive VIP section for the newest Wi-Fi gadgets equipped to take advantage. That means less interference and improved latency.

SPECS -  the GT-AXE11000 is powered by a 1.8GHz, 64-bit CPU with 1GB of RAM. It supports 4X4 Wi-Fi 6 connections, features a multi-gig LAN port for wired speeds of up to 2.5Gbps, and allows for WAN aggregation, where you combine the incoming speeds from two Ethernet WAN ports to achieve wireless speeds of up to 2Gbps.

My thoughts

the 6ghz channel will be less congested for a few years. now we just have to wait for 6E clients (phones, laptops, etc). i could be wrong but aren't these still "Drafts", Non of these devices is certified by the IEEE 802.11. even the AX routers are still a Draft, so they are making us pay $400+ to beta test those routers for them.???!!!!

Sources

https://www.cnet.com/news/asus-just-announced-the-first-router-that-supports-next-gen-wi-fi-6e-connections-rog-rapture-gt-axe11000/

https://www.techspot.com/news/86603-asus-unveils-rtx-3000-series-cards-wi-fi.html

I understand faster is better

but I don't even use my 5G wifi because the signal drops so bad compared to 2.4, and it's good enough for youtube while having a moment with nature

but I guess more option is better

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

but I don't even use my 5G wifi because the signal drops so bad compared to 2.4, and it's good enough for youtube while having a moment with nature

This will be better for two types of installations. 

1) Multi-tenant buildings like hotels and apartment complexes, where you got a ton of access points in a small area, but the area each has to cover is small (because you don't care if your neighbor sees your wifi. You only care about your rooms). 

2) High density environments like lecture halls and stadiums, where you need multiple access points to load balance all the clients (because you might have 400 clients inside a single room), but you need the access points really close to each other (since it's a single room). 

For most people, even in apartment buildings, WiFi 6E won't really give any benefits. 

1 hour ago, Clueless_Gamer said:

My thoughts

the 6ghz channel will be less congested for a few years. now we just have to wait for 6E clients (phones, laptops, etc). i could be wrong but aren't these still "Drafts", Non of these devices is certified by the IEEE 802.11. even the AX routers are still a Draft, so they are making us pay $400+ to beta test those routers for them.???!!!!

The entire WiFi 6 standard (802.11ax) is still a draft. But it's common to see equipment use draft standards in wifi. There were a lot of N and AC products released based on drafts. 

It's usually fine though. You might end up missing a few features but still get a good product that does what it says on the box. 

Holy shit that is one ugly router! I definitely ain't a fan of these "gamer aesthetics" - trends! 😒

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 hour ago, Moonzy said:

I used to have such problem where I wouldn't even see the 5GHz network on my laptop that's really far away from router. And then suddenly one day, I could see it. Same router, just several firmware updates later. Now I'm on RT-AX58U and still see 5GHz there. And I'm finally able to go past 50Mbps speeds reaching 100Mbps using 5GHz.

3 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I used to have such problem where I wouldn't even see the 5GHz network on my laptop that's really far away from router. And then suddenly one day, I could see it. Same router, just several firmware updates later. Now I'm on RT-AX58U and still see 5GHz there. And I'm finally able to go past 50Mbps speeds reaching 100Mbps using 5GHz.

I've been finding that even in situations where 2.4GHz wifi is technically better than 5GHz, I'm still getting a better response with 5GHz. Though TBH nothing of mine is any where near as good at 2.4GHz reception as my Mum's old laptops - that thing was picking up everything within a 1KM radius somehow.

5GHz wifi also doesn't get interfered with by microwaves - which makes night time in my apartment interesting on my phone and Android tablets..

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL