Can I run my PC without case?

TristanN
Go to solution Solved by thatcreepydude37,

this is completely fine. there is nothing wrong with that. you are safe doing this i have done this building other systems in the past

Hi,

I have all my parts installed but still waiting on the case to arrive (shipment delayed). I have my motherboard placed on the box it came in and have tested it to make sure that everything is working.  

Would it be fine to run my pc like that on the box (as shown in the photo) for a few hours to install windows 10, drivers, etc, or can the mobo be damaged?

Thanks!

IMG_4524.jpeg

I would only suggest doing it to test the system not for extended use.

But no it wont hurt anything.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

it's actually recommended in general that you build a PC outside the case to make sure everything works correctly, then put it inside. For short term operation, there's no problem, just don't go dropping anything on your setup.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Thanks a lot for the help! I need my PC for a competition on Sunday, so going to install everything now and then hopefully I get the case on on Saturday and just need to install the parts.

24 minutes ago, TristanN said:

Thanks a lot for the help! I need my PC for a competition on Sunday, so going to install everything now and then hopefully I get the case on on Saturday and just need to install the parts.

if it’s any help this is basically what a test bench is.  I knew a guy who used no case at all and just screwed his components to a wall.  Worked fine for years.  The only worry is shorts.  A case is mostly Just for convenience, dust, and impact protection. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.