CPU Upgrades

Hi all,

My system currently runs a 8086K with a slight overclock to 4.5 Ghz and a slight undervolt of 1.25 volts. I feel I didn't do too well on the silicon lottery as I've only been able to push my CPU to 4.7 without instability nor can I undervolt lower for the same reason. 

I've recently been able to get access to some heavily discounted CPUs through a friend and I can get a 9900 i9 for about $250. While I don't have any issue with my current setup, I only have a limited time to buy so wondering would a get any decent size performance bump by going to a non-overclockable but undervolted 9900 over the 8086K?

Mainly game and home office stuff but you know yourself, more power is always wanted!

Cheers

CPU: Intel i-9 9900KF
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
RAM: G.Skill 32GB 3200MHz Sniper X
GPU: ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2060
Case: Fractual Design Define S
Storage: Intel 760p 265GB SSD x2, Intel 760p 1TB SSD
PSU: Aerocool Project 7 650W
Display: ASUS VG278QR
Cooling: Noctua D-15S

Sound: ASUS Strix Soar

3 minutes ago, Unkindness said:

Hi all,

My system currently runs a 8086K with a slight overclock to 4.5 Ghz and a slight undervolt of 1.25 volts. I feel I didn't do too well on the silicon lottery as I've only been able to push my CPU to 4.7 without instability nor can I undervolt lower for the same reason. 

I've recently been able to get access to some heavily discounted CPUs through a friend and I can get a 9900 i9 for about $250. While I don't have any issue with my current setup, I only have a limited time to buy so wondering would a get any decent size performance bump by going to a non-overclockable but undervolted 9900 over the 8086K?

Mainly game and home office stuff but you know yourself, more power is always wanted!

Cheers

I see you have a 2060, so unless you're playing at low settings 1080p esports, then its probably not worth it. Although, for that excellent price, you could probably flip is for a profit ;)

PC

Ryzen 5 2600 Stock

Sapphire Nitro+ Special Edition Radeon RX580 8GB (Would Recommend)

Gigabyte B450M DS3H (Don't recommend)

Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000MHz CL15 

Phanteks P300 (Would Recommend)

Kingston A400 240GB SSD

Seagate BarraCuda 1TB HDD

Corsair CX550M 550W  80+ Bronze

Deepcool FH-10 Fan Hub

3x BeQuiet Pure Wings 2

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/marmour/saved/QTY3ZL

Peripherals

LG 24MK400H

Logitech G413 Carbon

Logitech G305 (AAA Adaptor - 10g reduction) (Would recommend)

Logitech Z150

HyperX Cloud II (Would recommend)

Moto G5 Plus (Webcam)

Phone

Pixel 3A XL (Would recommend)

*Useful Link* PSU Tier List: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/

Absolutely not. That 8086K will provide you the best Silicon quality for an overclock to 5GHz and the 9900 is the garbage-bin for OEMs. So if you want to make a useless purchase for a Z-series mobo, then go ahead! Why even bother? You're not even so much better off with a 9900K let alone with that gimped CPU that Intel bothers to call an i9.

Cheers!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Formula | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900XT | RAM: 2*16GB 3200MHz 14-14-14-34 G.Skill Trident Z Royal Silver | SSD: 2TB Gigabyte Aorus Gen 4; 500GB Samsung 860 EVO | CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | PSU: Corsair AX850 | Case: Corsair Crystal 680X | Monitor: Eve Spectrum 4K | Keyboard: Logitech G513 Romer-G Tactile | Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed

1 minute ago, marmour said:

I see you have a 2060, so unless you're playing at low settings 1080p esports, then its probably not worth it. Although, for that excellent price, you could probably flip is for a profit ;)

The fastest games I play would be Dirt Rally and other racing games (don't really play shooters). I usually run the GeForce Optimized setting and get about 100-120 FPS so I'm not struggling too much at the moment. There may be an upgrade to new RTX and possibly go to 4k but not right away.

This may be my last time with access to these CPUs so would I struggle, say in a year or so, running the new hardware and higher graphics with the 8086K?

10 hours ago, Unkindness said:

The 8086k is still pretty decent and so is the 2060, for that workload, this machine should be more than enough.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, agent2 said:

Absolutely not. That 8086K will provide you the best Silicon quality for an overclock to 5GHz and the 9900 is the garbage-bin for OEMs. So if you want to make a useless purchase for a Z-series mobo, then go ahead! Why even bother? You're not even so much better off with a 9900K let alone with that gimped CPU that Intel bothers to call an i9.

Cheers!

Mine can't get near 5Ghz. Even cooking itself with 1.6 volts and heating my house, it struggles to get to a 4.8Ghz. That's why I left it at 4.5 and went with an undervolt.

The Z- board was only bought coz I got a good deal at the time since this is my first system and just learned to overclock coz I could.

2 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

The 8086k is still pretty decent and so is the 2060, for that workload, this machine should be more than enough.

It is and it runs like a champion but to paraphrase James Pumphrey, I just like Mo Powa, Babeh!

10 minutes ago, Unkindness said:

It is and it runs like a champion but to paraphrase James Pumphrey, I just like Mo Powa, Babeh!

for gaming, it's a sidegrade for the most part.

not worth it as an upgrade, but if you think you can flip it for profit, why not.

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

I'd go for a GPU upgrade first if you do want to upgrade in the future.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

If you can sell the 8086K then sure it sounds like a viable upgrade but otherwise paying 250$ for a 33% performance gain is ridiculous.

The i9-9900 boosts to 4.6Ghz all-core so it isn't all bad, it's just a bit of a waste for a Z390 board.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

37 minutes ago, Unkindness said:

Mine can't get near 5Ghz. Even cooking itself with 1.6 volts and heating my house, it struggles to get to a 4.8Ghz. That's why I left it at 4.5 and went with an undervolt.

The Z- board was only bought coz I got a good deal at the time since this is my first system and just learned to overclock coz I could.

I think you might just be overclocking wrong, your CPU shouldn't be anywhere near 1.6V, you'll actually kill it that way and degrade it.

I wonder if the reason it struggles to get 4.8Ghz was because you pushed 1.6V through it..

2 hours ago, Syn. said:

I think you might just be overclocking wrong, your CPU shouldn't be anywhere near 1.6V, you'll actually kill it that way and degrade it.

I wonder if the reason it struggles to get 4.8Ghz was because you pushed 1.6V through it..

I had it on auto volt in the bios and that was the voltage reported by Hardware Info. I had it at 5 while benchmarking it so once I seen the volts that high, I took the clock down to a 4.7 which was still pulling 1.4 volts. Finally put it at 4.5 overclock to get the reported volts  to 1.3 and then I played with an undervolt 1.25. Any higher overclock or lower voltage, it crashes. 

Any advice is greatly received as I am very green at computer stuff like this 

4 minutes ago, Unkindness said:

I had it on auto volt in the bios and that was the voltage reported by Hardware Info. I had it at 5 while benchmarking it so once I seen the volts that high, I took the clock down to a 4.7 which was still pulling 1.4 volts. Finally put it at 4.5 overclock to get the reported volts  to 1.3 and then I played with an undervolt 1.25. Any higher overclock or lower voltage, it crashes. 

Any advice is greatly received as I am very green at computer stuff like this 

you're not supposed to use automatic voltage when you're overclocking, it always overvolts the CPU more than necessary, I think the reason you couldn't get the CPU stable was because of the temperatures, unless your CPU is delided there's no way you'd be able to tame that CPU with 1.5V or above.

with that CPU you're supposed to get 5Ghz at 1.4V or less, 100% of the 8086K's were able to achieve that

10 minutes ago, Syn. said:

you're not supposed to use automatic voltage when you're overclocking, it always overvolts the CPU more than necessary, I think the reason you couldn't get the CPU stable was because of the temperatures, unless your CPU is delided there's no way you'd be able to tame that CPU with 1.5V or above.

with that CPU you're supposed to get 5Ghz at 1.4V or less, 100% of the 8086K's were able to achieve that

Yeah I was learning as I went with the overclocking to be fair. The voltage is on a knife edge as I had it at the 1.4 and went for the 5ghz but was crashing like mad with BSODs.

To be fair, there's probably a likelihood I did a bit of damage to it learning to overclock. It's also an engineering sample so, testing-wise, I've no idea what was done to it before I got it.

1 hour ago, Unkindness said:

Yeah I was learning as I went with the overclocking to be fair. The voltage is on a knife edge as I had it at the 1.4 and went for the 5ghz but was crashing like mad with BSODs.

To be fair, there's probably a likelihood I did a bit of damage to it learning to overclock. It's also an engineering sample so, testing-wise, I've no idea what was done to it before I got it.

I have never heard of an 8086K ES, and I doubt those exist since the 8086K is simply a binned 8700K, how can you confirm that it's legit? I wouldn't set expectations on an engineering sample to perform the same as a retail one anyway

6 minutes ago, Syn. said:

I have never heard of an 8086K ES, and I doubt those exist since the 8086K is simply a binned 8700K, how can you confirm that it's legit?

Here you go

Annotation 2020-09-01 180456.png

6 minutes ago, Unkindness said:

Here you go

Annotation 2020-09-01 180456.png

It seems legit but there's barely any information about it anywhere, hard to speak of the quality of such chips since they're so rare

36 minutes ago, Syn. said:

It seems legit but there's barely any information about it anywhere, hard to speak of the quality of such chips since they're so rare

So I believe hence why I'm worried i cooked it!