Placing my PC on carpet?

Hello everyone ! So I'm getting a new PC soon and I was wondering if anything will happen to it of I put it directly on the carpet next to my desk. I know that this is a stupid question, but I am asking just to be sure. I saw some videos on YouTube and I think that nothing will happen if it stays on the carpet.
The PC case I have is the Coolermaster Mastercase H500. I know there is some tolerance between the bottom of the case and the floor, because It has small legs, but is it good enough for airflow for the PSU? Will I eventually have trouble with static electricity?
Tell me what you guys think about this.
I wanted to put something to raise the case, or a plank so its not directly on top of the carpet.
Do you know what I can use for that ?

As far as damage goes, carpet vs a desk makes no different, it's completely safe. As far as thermals go, carpet sinks, so if it doesn't have legs, it will block airflow, but as you said your case has legs, it should make no difference. Of course, you can always just get some cheap wood from your local hardware shop to raise it up a bit if you're paranoid, or feel it's necessary. 

My PC has been on the carpet for years, no problems.

Hot Mist (Main PC)

Case: NZXT H700 Black (Signed by LTT) | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | Cooler: EKWB AIO CPU Cooler 360mm, with 3x Noctua NF-F12 Fans | Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master Gaming Motherboard | RAM: 2x G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz CL16 DDR4 | SSD: Corsair MP600 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | GPU: ASUS GeForce RTX 3090 TUF Gaming 24GB | PSU: Corsair AX1200i Platinum 1200W, CableMod PRO AXi Cable Kit Black/White | Fans: Noctua NF-A14 Fan, 3x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax Fans | Monitors: ASUS ROG PG27UQ, 2x ASUS ROG PG27AQ | Peripherals: Razer Huntsman Elite (Red Switches), Razer Mamba Wireless, Elgato Stream Deck Mini | Audio: Sony MDR-M1ST, Audio Technica AT2020, Audio Technica BP40, Rode PSA1 Boom Arm, Topping D70 (Bluetooth) DAC, Drop x THX AAA 789 Amp, Rode RODECaster Pro Audio Interface, Audio Technica ATH HPH300 | PCIe: Elgato HD60 Pro | Webcams: Logitech C922, Logitech BRIO 4K | Other:  iPad 7th Gen 32GB

Self Loathing (Portable Gear)

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S20+ (Exynos 990) | Watch: Samsung Galaxy Watch 46mm (w/ Pink Strap) | Audio: Samsung Galaxy Buds+ (Black), FiiO BTR5 Bluetooth AMP/DAC | Laptop: Razer Blade 15" (10875H, 2070S, 300hz), Razer Mamba Elite | Other: Spektrum Prospek-50 Arctic (Prescription)

The Preciouses (IEM Box)

Case: BLOODYRIPPA Luxury Watch Box 12 Grids | IEMs: Audio Technica ATH-CKR100iS, TINHiFi P1, FiiO FH7, Audio Technica ATH-E70, Shouer TapePioneer SE-CH9T (BanG Dream! Girls Band Party! Roselia Collaboration Model), Moondrop S8, Moondrop Starfield, Kinera Nanna, IKKO OH7, IKKO OH10

So Head? (Headphone Collection)

Hooks: 2x Razer Headset Stand, 1x Audio Technica ATH HPH300 | Headphones: Kingston Hyper X Cloud II, Audio Technica ATH-M50X, Sony MDR-CD900STBeyerdynamic TYGR 300 R, Sennheiser HD600Sennheiser HD6xx, Cooler Master MH751

Crossed out means they are too be purchased, on the way for delivery, or broken and planning to repair.

Spoiler

Nuf Repus (Arcade PC) (upcoming)

Case: Corsair Carbide Series 275Q | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H Wi-Fi Motherboard | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | GPU: Galax GeForce GTX 1650 EX OC 4GB | PSU: Corsair RM550x Gold 550W | Fans: Noctua NF-A14 Fan, 3x Noctua NF-F12 Fans | Monitor: Viewsonic VX3276-2K | Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 (Yellow Switches), Razer Deathadder Elite, 2x Dance mat EX PRO + The Handbar | Audio: 2x Klipsch R-610F Floorstanding Home Speaker, Behringer A800 AMP | Webcam:  Logitech C922

Sound Euphonium (Music Setup) (upcoming)

Laptop: Razer Blade 15" (10875H, 2070S, 300hz) | Monitors: LG 24BL650C-B, 5x iPad 7th Gen 32GBInstruments: ESP Electric Guitar Random Star (Red), Yamaha APX600, ESP Electric Bass Viper (Pink), Roland RD-88, Pearl Export Double Bass 8-Piece Drum Set (Black Cherry Glitter), Neumann TLM 103Audio: 5x Sony MDR-CD900ST, speakers5x PreSonus Audiobox USB 96 Audio Interface, Golden Age Project PRE-73 MKIII | Webcams: 5x Logitech C922, 5x Logitech BRIO 4K

3 minutes ago, DG Result said:
Hello everyone ! So I'm getting a new PC soon and I was wondering if anything will happen to it of I put it directly on the carpet next to my desk. I know that this is a stupid question, but I am asking just to be sure. I saw some videos on YouTube and I think that nothing will happen if it stays on the carpet.
The PC case I have is the Coolermaster Mastercase H500. I know there is some tolerance between the bottom of the case and the floor, because It has small legs, but is it good enough for airflow for the PSU? Will I eventually have trouble with static electricity?
I wanted to put something to raise the case, or a plank so its not directly on top of the carpet.

If the PSU is on the bottom it will suck hair/dirt etc from the carpet, if the PSU is at the top not so much.

Just get a piece of wood and put it on as your said. Also get a can of air and blast it once a month to get the dust out.

Damage wise, it's safe for the most part, though thermals wise, the psu wont be able to get a lot fresh air, so if you can't put it on a desk, you could elevate it with a piece of wood or something similar. 

10 hours ago, The Torrent said:

Make sure your psu fan is facing up, if its not turn it.

what? No, it should be the opposite.

Edited by TofuHaroto

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

11 minutes ago, DG Result said:

Make sure your psu fan is facing up, if its not turn it.

Also make sure its not negative air pressure inside the pc, because if it is and theres no other ways to get air, it will start sucking it through the carpet (because most pc cases have holes at the bottom of the pc) in which case you will get a lot of dust and carpet fibers inside you pc 😬

11 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Damage wise, it's safe for the most part, though thermals wise, the psu wont be able to get a lot fresh air, so if you can't put it on a desk, you could elevate it with a piece of wood or something similar. 

what? No, it should be the opposite.

if the fan is facing down, its at the bottom into the carpet? maybe i said it wrong. I mean the psu fan should be sucking air in from the pc, not the carpet.

10 hours ago, The Torrent said:

I mean the psu fan should be sucking air in from the pc, not the carpet.

No, either way it's recommended to put the psu face down. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

18 minutes ago, DG Result said:

is it good enough for airflow for the PSU?

a 1cm gap between carpet and PSU should be enough for the most part

depends on how thick and fluffy is your carpet.

would recommend having a filter for your PC intake, including PSU, if you wish to put it on the carpet.

19 minutes ago, DG Result said:

Will I eventually have trouble with static electricity?

nope, a PC is constantly grounded as long as it's plugged in (assuming your house wiring isnt old and not grounded)

0 worries on this regard

20 minutes ago, DG Result said:

again, depends on how thick is the carpet. thin ones are fine

thick and fluffy ones, you could use books or something if you're not willing to go out to grab something

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

No, either way it's recommended to put the psu face down. 

i highly disagree. PSU is one of the things u cant really open up to clean the dust out of and facing it face down sucking air through the carpet is just gonna clogggg it up. Not to mention its dangerous.

It depends how thick the carpet is, in my room its pretty thick so if u put it on the floor ur screwed but its highly dependent.

1 hour ago, The Torrent said:

i highly disagree. PSU is one of the things u cant really open up to clean the dust out of and facing it face down sucking air through the carpet is just gonna clogggg it up. Not to mention its dangerous.

It depends how thick the carpet is, in my room its pretty thick so if u put it on the floor ur screwed but its highly dependent.

Linus actually said this in a recent build video.  I've been watching dozens of them so not sure which one it is or timesstamp...

Its ok to suck air from the inside especially if it's already been filtered and you have good airflow coming into the front of the case.  Same for top mounted radiators (suck in from case push out the top).

Edit: didn't think of the shroud issue.  I seem to see lots of build videos with 'upside down' PSU on LTT and Gamers Nexus.. Now I don't know which way is up.

1 hour ago, The Torrent said:

Thats why nearly every case even if it's a bottom dollar budget case has a PSU dust filter on it. 

Assuming the case has the PSU physically located at the bottom, flipping the fan upwards is bad for usually one of two reasons. 

Reason 1 that should be obvious to anyone who's used a case within the last five years; PSU shrouds. If the fan cant access any air, it's always gonna be super warm. 

Reason 2, assuming you don't have a PSU shroud or have one thats well ventilated is that you're A, drawing warmed air from inside the case into your PSU instead of fresh ambient air from the outside, and B, your fans will fight directly against the GPU fans for air, usually trying to pull from PCI-E covers or the front of the case. 

I dont know a lot about PSU's electrically but I like to think I know a thing or two about airflow.

1 hour ago, DG Result said:

Just about anything that will support the weight of your PC and elevate it off the floor will be good. A small shelf, plank, book case or even a milk crate for that extra ghetto look. Ideally the further away you can get it from dust prone surfaces such as the floor, the better. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25