Intel graphics plus NVIDIA graphics?

Noob872

A curious thought, I have a intel i5-9400, so i have integrated graphics, however i also have an gtx 1650 super. So is there a way to use both of them in sort of a sli configuration to get more performance? Also, is there a way to switich between Intel graphics and the gtx 1650 super without moving the hdmi cable from the graphics card to the mobo? 

although i dont have much experience on gpus i say if youre meaning to run both the gpu as one single gpu, i dont think theyll work

3 minutes ago, CutePanda said:

although i dont have much experience on gpus i say if youre meaning to run both the gpu as one single gpu, i dont think theyll work

ok 

In a way you can use both. But not as sli, only one at a time. Assuming you have the integrated graphics turned on (you might need to do some stuff in the bios) if the hdmi is in the gpu it will be running off that and if it is plugged into the motherboard, it will run off the integrated graphics. 

There is no way to switch without physically moving the cables. Why do you want to use the igpu?

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

10 hours ago, Noob872 said:

without moving the hdmi cable from the graphics card to the mobo? 

turn the i-gpu on in the bios and then plug the hdmi cable to the board's IO, and no they will work separately , not together. 

any reason why you need the i-gpu? displaying an imagine for another monitor takes little to no gpu recourses.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

In a way you can use both. But not as sli, only one at a time. Assuming you have the integrated graphics turned on (you might need to do some stuff in the bios) if the hdmi is in the gpu it will be running off that and if it is plugged into the motherboard, it will run off the integrated graphics. 

There is no way to switch without physically moving the cables. Why do you want to use the igpu?

Its not a big deal but mainly power consuption, as if i am just watching YouTube videos or browsing the web i dont need my dedicated gpu. its not a big deal if i cant, just trying to save some electrical bill. 

you have to have matching GPUs for sli or crossfire. Sometimes you can get away with different brands/variations of the same card but they will both be limited to the lowest performer.

You can switch between the two by using a GPU pass through to the MOBO output and then swithing it is software, this is primarily used in laptops to save power while preforming tasks that don't need a high end GPU (I've only seen this on Linux though). It sounds like your on a desktop though and the 1650 has a max power draw of 75w, so I'm not sure why you would want to switch to the iGPU.

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

turn the i-gpu on in the bios and then plug the hdmi cable to the board's IO, and no they will work separately , not together. 

any reason why you need the i-gpu? displaying an imagine for another monitor takes little to no gpu recourses.

Its not a big deal but mainly power consuption, as if i am just watching YouTube videos or browsing the web i dont need my dedicated gpu. its not a big deal if i cant, just trying to save some electrical bill. 

Just now, Noob872 said:

In those cases, the gpu is barely using any power. You wouldn't save any electricity by switching to the igpu. 

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

10 hours ago, Noob872 said:

just trying to save some electrical bill. 

and that's not how you do it lol, that wont make a difference.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Just now, CWALD said:

you have to have matching GPUs for sli or crossfire. Sometimes you can get away with different brands/variations of the same card but they will both be limited to the lowest performer.

You can switch between the two by using a GPU pass through to the MOBO output and then swithing it is software, this is primarily used in laptops to save power while preforming tasks that don't need a high end GPU (I've only seen this on Linux though). It sounds like your on a desktop though and the 1650 has a max power draw of 75w, so I'm not sure why you would want to switch to the iGPU.

it draws 100 watts but i see wht you mena it wouldnt save that much money 

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

and that's not how you do it lol, that wont make a difference.

ok

1 minute ago, Noob872 said:

I don't think your going to see much difference here. You can check by putting a meter between you wall outlet and computer and then opening a browser with the HDMI in each port but I expect the difference would be less then a phone charger.

Dx12 was suppose to be able to utilize any combination of gpu,apu, integrated to boost frames by making them work in tandem. However, I do not think any games have integrated that feature and not sure if/when it will see widespread adoption.

51 minutes ago, Noob872 said:

That is doable. Try search Graphic Settings in Windows 10 Start Menu and then set which application you want it force to use Power-Saving GPU a.k.a iGPU. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

It's possible, with a lot of duct tape,  but as it turns out games and applications would need to be designed from ground up to take advantage of such weird configurations,  and it's just not worth it,  so they aren't,  and  thus that's just "not how it works" nowadays.  

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity