So I just won a r9 290x , what should I do with it?

We participate in a few contests hoping to win a grand prize, come on, that's what we all have done atleast once. So did I. What I didn't expect though, was that I would win. Et voila, I won.

The grand prize was a Sapphire R9 290X, have a look at this link: http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-PCI-Express-Graphics-21226-00-40G/...

After some research I came to the conclusion that this card runs flippin hot, the cooler isn't that great. It consumes a lot of electricity, and is pretty loud. I sure would like to build a gaming computer or a cryptocurrency mining rig with this, but I'm worried about the temperatures, the power it consumes and the noise. 

That's why I ask your help. What would you do with this particular card? Maybe I can sell it and buy a better one? Or should I not worry about it?

Thank you!

Learning

You can sell it for quite alot in the US.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Congrats on winning, but I think you should sell it now and get a better card for the money. AMD cards are pretty inflated at the moment because of the cryptocoin rush, so you could sell this for a good chunk and get a still sufficient card for less money.

Spoiler

but this http://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Accelero-Xtreme-7970-Cooler/dp/B0074VVK52/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1394041168&sr=1-6&keywords=arctic

or sell it,

the card it self doesnt run hot its just that the cooler is absolute garbage

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

Sell it, prices are also hot for this card. Or build a rig an undervolt the card so that it doesn't run hot while mining. I personally would go with option nubmer 1 though. :D

who cares...

Remove the cooler and add a water block.
#problemsolved

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

Sell ittttt!

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

Sell it and buy some better components.

MY CURRENT PC

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k COOLER: Noctua NH-D14 MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB DDR3-1600 STORAGE: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM HHD GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 SLI CASE: Fractal Design R4 PSU: EVGA 1000W 80+ Gold 
PERIPHERALS - KEYBOARD: Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Cherry MX Browns MOUSE: Logitech G500/M100 MONITOR(S): Acer H236HLbid (I want an Asus PB278Q) SPEAKERS: Some Cyber Acoustics $10 speakers PICTURES AND FULL PARTS LIST @ PCPARTPICKER - http://pcpartpicker.com/b/z4Pscf  

"Don't get so caught up in trying to make a living that you forget to make a life."

We participate in a few contests hoping to win a grand prize, come on, that's what we all have done atleast once. So did I. What I didn't expect though, was that I would win. Et voila, I won.

The grand prize was a Sapphire R9 290X, have a look at this link: http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-PCI-Express-Graphics-21226-00-40G/...

After some research I came to the conclusion that this card runs flippin hot, the cooler isn't that great. It consumes a lot of electricity, and is pretty loud. I sure would like to build a gaming computer or a cryptocurrency mining rig with this, but I'm worried about the temperatures, the power it consumes and the noise. 

That's why I ask your help. What would you do with this particular card? Maybe I can sell it and buy a better one? Or should I not worry about it?

Thank you!

If you're actually set on mining crypto, pick up the triple fan arctic cooler, or you can go ahead and go the watercooling route. If you don't mind selling it, you could easily turn 500-650ish bucks off it :)

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

No, the card itself runs hot as well. up to 50c on water. That's HOT

It may be in comparison to other cards, but 50c is not hot for basically any modern computer chip. Intel's going up to 100c, and even amd allows 61+ on their 8-cores.

If I were you, I would keep it and either run it as is if you can handle the noise, or throw a cooler on it and call it a day. You could sell it and be close to a 780Ti as well, but I personally really like the way AMD handles multiple displays, and if you want to have more than 3, amd is basically your only choice.

Either way, you can't go wrong.

Desktop: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.1Ghz Enermax 360L  Gigabyte Aorus Extreme   Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900  EVGA SuperNova 1000w G2  LG 34GK950f & ASUS PA248Q Klipsch Reference/Audeze Mobius

Synology Wireless AC-2600

Laptop: Alienware 17R5   Intel i7 8750H  Nvidia GTX1080   3840x2160 4k AdobeRGB IGZO Display   32GB DDR4 2133   256GB+1TB NVMe SSD    1TB Seagate SSHD   Killer 1550 Dual-Band Wireless AC

Sell and buy like a 780. Then you can buy a ssd or something. 780ti is well.. not really worth it. its your choice.

and since you can sell it for more , since miners, you will end up with alot of extra cash

It may be in comparison to other cards, but 50c is not hot for basically any modern computer chip. Intel's going up to 100c, and even amd allows 61+ on their 8-cores.

If I were you, I would keep it and either run it as is if you can handle the noise, or throw a cooler on it and call it a day. You could sell it and be close to a 780Ti as well, but I personally really like the way AMD handles multiple displays, and if you want to have more than 3, amd is basically your only choice.

50c is hot on water. I am just showing that the chip itself runs hot, and the cooler is garbage. The cooler isn't entirely to blame. 

Buy a second one and make a watercooled crossfire setup. 

144Hz goodness

You are mixing CPU and GPU temperatures 50 degrees on a gpu under water is actually pretty hot.

There is a slight problem though, I live in Europe. AMD prices aren't as high as in America, so... mh

Learning

You can sell it for quite alot in the US.

But I don't live in the US. The prices of the AMD cards aren't as high in comparison to the US.

Learning

cook some food on it :P
Or sell it on ebay. doesnt matter if you are in europe.

AMD FX 8320@ Stock - Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0 - Kingston HyperX 8GB 1600Mhz - Corsair Carbide 200R - Powercolor Radeon HD 7950 PCS+OC@970Mhz core 1400Mhz memory - Corsair CS650W - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 
LG 22EA53VQ 21.5" - CM Storm Xornet - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Creative Inspire T3130 2.1

@Coombzy @TriBeard @TheDoubleYGamer

Temps of the GPU depend a bit on how big the loop is, but yea, 290x's run very warm under water still (For a watercooled card that is)

@ 1.3v and 1320mhz with 7500 mhz memory, it's all I can do to get my cards above 40-42 C, (if that's any reference)

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

but this http://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Accelero-Xtreme-7970-Cooler/dp/B0074VVK52/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1394041168&sr=1-6&keywords=arctic

or sell it,

the card it self doesnt run hot its just that the cooler is absolute garbage

Don't, Sapphire voids the warranty if the stock cooler is removed. 

Sell it on local adds for 700$ and buy an MSI r9 290 gaming.

Spoiler