Slow net over Powerline adapters

Nagasaki

I have just moved my room around and to get my PC online I would have to use a long network cable going round the room, Id like to avoid that is possible but I may not have a choice...

I dug out my set of TP-Link Powerline adapters. They are 1200Mbps and according to the TP-Link utility they are connected to each other at between 900 and 1100 Mbps. More than enough for my 500Mbps internet. But downloading and speed tests show a rather disappointing 200Mpbs ish, Upload is fine at 37Mbps

Any ideas on what the issue here is? If the to devices are connected at 900Mbps+ surely I should be seeing more than 200Mbps in download speed? :(

3 minutes ago, Nagasaki said:

I have just moved my room around and to get my PC online I would have to use a long network cable going round the room, Id like to avoid that is possible but I may not have a choice...

I dug out my set of TP-Link Powerline adapters. They are 1200Mbps and according to the TP-Link utility they are connected to each other at between 900 and 1100 Mbps. More than enough for my 500Mbps internet. But downloading and speed tests show a rather disappointing 200Mpbs ish, Upload is fine at 37Mbps

Any ideas on what the issue here is? If the to devices are connected at 900Mbps+ surely I should be seeing more than 200Mbps in download speed? :(

Nothing can replace a network cable. Do it the right way

Powerline adapter heavily rely on the cable quality in your house. The rated speed is what the adapter can do, not what your house can do.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1200mbps if you link them with a brand new wires, without any signal interference from other devices using the the electricity.

Network ethernet cables are isolated, so the signals are clean.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

It's like people don't read.

I said they are reporting a connection between them of over 900Mbps, so if they are connected to EACH OTHER at that speed why am I not seeing more than 200mbps.. 

Forget I even asked.

I hate asking online for help as people do my head in. 

I ask for help or I see others asking and I see the same damn thing 99% of the time.

A question gets asked, The person says I tried things A,B,C and D... and then people reply saying oh have you tried things A and C??

If your not going to take the time to READ the post and UNDERSTAND it then duck off. Im sick of people going to help someone but can't even take the time to read the post they made and actually be helpful!!

/out

Edited by LogicalDrm

Isolate powerline to their own plugs.. less inteferance.

Not shared if you can...

I for example have a double on the wall..

My Powerline has its own on the left with a powerboard coming off the right.

IE don't use them with a powerboard and such... as it will lower the transfer speeds.

If you only have a single wall outlet your out of luck in a sense.. with a PC powered alongside the powerline on the same circuit it can drastically lower speeds attained.

If a room near you has a spare, you can run powerline there and have a smaller cable run to your room from there..?

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

11 minutes ago, Nagasaki said:

I said they are reporting a connection between them of over 900Mbps, so if they are connected to EACH OTHER at that speed why am I not seeing more than 200mbps.. 

Why so grumpy, reported connection is not always right, it shows the max potential rate, not the true rate.

Have you tested the internet without the powerline (connecting straight to the modem/router)?

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

18 hours ago, Nagasaki said:

It's like people don't read.

Forget I even asked.

I hate asking online for help as people do my head in. 

I ask for help or I see others asking and I see the same damn thing 99% of the time.

A question gets asked, The person says I tried things A,B,C and D... and then people reply saying oh have you tried things A and C??

If your not going to take the time to READ the post and UNDERSTAND it then duck off. Im sick of people going to help someone but can't even take the time to read the post they made and actually be helpful!!

/out

It is powerline. This is what it does the reported connection is the best case scenario when NOTHING is going over the line. The moment it goes in use it will start using the electrical network actively and then the usual weakness of powerline comes into play. This is what people are explaining to you. What is happening here is perfectly normal and happens all the time.

Edited by LogicalDrm

18 hours ago, Nagasaki said:

/out

perhaps if this is a recurring problem that millions of other people don’t have perhaps the problem is you don’t write well.  I know I don’t. I generally have to edit a post at least once to try and make what I said make sense.  This post got edited twice so far and may still need more.  Making ones self understood is the burden of the poster. There are a lot of people who do have this problem here.

The key phrase being “are connected” with the assumption that This would be the tested speed rather than the rating.  You did not say “the speed over the connection was tested at”

Have you actually tested the connection with real data or are you just reading what the TPlink utility says?  The only real world test I am seeing is the internet stuff that apparently moves at 200.   So the real question is “is the TP-link utility lying to me?”  I would say the probability that the TP utility link is lying is pretty high.   So high that everyone ignored it and just moved past.  Perhaps try running a different data set than internet such as a file transfer and see. 

Edited by LogicalDrm

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Nagasaki said:

Power-line adapters are disappointing to most people. I say feel lucky you get 200/37 on them. Because Ive seen worse. Like stated above, they are not a replacement of Ethernet and should only be used in extreme cases where Ethernet is an absolute not a possibility. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

*** Some profanity cleaned ***

I'm leaving this otherwise as is. There are still unanswered questions. Like the actual results of those tests. What service are you using for testing, did you test with same service before switching connections and stuff like that.

Right now you are asking us to guess what could be wrong, and get frustrated when you don't like the quesses.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

19 hours ago, Nagasaki said:

Reported link speed != actual link speed. Feel free to confirm my response by searching for others experiences using PowerLine AV adapters on the internet, but what @Stahlmann98 and @SupaKomputa had noted in their comments holds true. Powerline AV relies on the quality of your household electrical wiring between the 2 power outlets you have the adapters connected to, along with how much power draw is on your circuits. Appliances that draw large amounts of power, such as microwaves or vacuums, can impact the performance of Powerline AV adapters whenever you turn on said appliances.

If you want to test this theory, try moving your PowerLine AV adapters around to various power outlets in your home and run a speedtest at each one. Depending on the age of and/or how your house is wired, you may end up with wildly different results, regardless of what link speed is being reported. As @LogicalDrm notes, it would also be prudent to include the speedtest service being used, along with tests PRIOR to switching over to PowerLine AV so that we/you have a baseline to compare with. Feel free to quote my/our replies when you've had a chance to test and gather this information. :) 

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)