Replacing side tempered glass panel with mesh and adding big fan to it

Cebulki

I want to make my PC quiet and lower the temperature but I don't really have money to buy all this fancy noctua fans, CPU cooling radiator towers and so on (just three decent noctua fans cost like 50 minimal wage workhours in my country). What I want to do instead is to replace side tempered glass panel with mesh and add big fan on it (like 360mm fan blowing air inside case). What do you think about this idea?

Right now I use SilentiumPC Signum SG1 TG case with stock fans and ryzen (3700x) stock cooler. GPU is GTX 1660 Super with stock pallit cooling.

That case already has a full mesh front. Just buy some cheap chinese 120mm fans (maybe 15-25 USD, depends if you want RGB) and you will be set.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

You don't need Noctua fans to keep noise down. Arctic P12 PWM PST's are another great option With basically the same performance and noise, while being much cheaper. These fans are ~5€ each in germany. Great value.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

if you're gonna put mesh on your side panel already, why not just remove it? run it with side panel open

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

6 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

if you're gonna put mesh on your side panel already, why not just remove it? run it with side panel open

Dust?

Try to disconnect some fans to make your computer less noisy. In most cases you'll notice at most 1-2 degree difference. Air is not fluid - it flows anyway, not need so much push. Otherwise in cold winter you may need wall heater with fans to keep temperature the same in every place in your room. Even better - if air need to be constantly push and pull, you'll need to change your place in your room from time to time because out of oxygen. :)

2 minutes ago, Cebulki said:

Dust?

hmm... mesh isnt gonna help much either, unless it's fine mesh

but cheaper fans are a thing

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

15 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

You don't need Noctua fans to keep noise down. Arctic P12 PWM PST's are another great option With basically the same performance and noise, while being much cheaper. These fans are ~5€ each in germany. Great value.

Looks like great option. But what do you think about this side fan + mesh option? I think it might be pretty good.

6 minutes ago, Cebulki said:

Looks like great option. But what do you think about this side fan + mesh option? I think it might be pretty good.

If you can find a way to mount everything and power the fan, yes it will work. But you'll probably not have any dust filters.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

30 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

If you can find a way to mount everything and power the fan, yes it will work. But you'll probably not have any dust filters.

I wont have or I shouldn't have dust filters?

Yes, powering that could be a problem.

Just now, Cebulki said:

I wont have or I shouldn't have dust filters?

Yes, powering that could be a problem.

You won't have them. The mesh you usually find that's strong enough isn't fine enough to filter dust.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Thank you for all your sugestions. I decided to go for Arctic coolers. I just bought 5 of them (2x140mm and 3x120mm) for the cost of one noctua fan.

Still I think there is a reason behind this mesh and big fan idea. I will work on that later and post outcome here.

With how open the case is I would have bought a cpu cooler instead of fans. Or both if you can.

5 hours ago, Cebulki said:

Thank you for all your sugestions. I decided to go for Arctic coolers. I just bought 5 of them (2x140mm and 3x120mm) for the cost of one noctua fan.

Still I think there is a reason behind this mesh and big fan idea. I will work on that later and post outcome here.

For improving cooling, you need to know what your bottleneck is. If your case temperature is just a bit over room temperature, you get enough case flow and the CPU cooler needs improvement. If your case temperature is way high, adding case flow will help. 

As someone else has said, a CPU cooler with larger fan will help lowering CPU fan noise and CPU temps. the AMD stock coolers aren't bad in that they do the job, they are just not great, and silent at that. 

I'm not sure how replacing the side panel, buying mesh and a large fan, would be easier and cheaper than buying a few extra standard fans. The glass panel likely is part of the panel structure and you would need to add some support to hold the mesh. Assuming the glass is glued on, removing may be really hard. 

Thanks for the link to the mesh, was looking for something like that for a modding project.