Can I link long LED strips to motherboard lighting?

DevilsHand676

I have a ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming that says it can support up to 5050  RGB LED strips as 3A (12V). But also says it shouldn't go above 3m. My light goes around my desk and is longer than 3m. I don't want to accidently blow the header on my motherboard so is there a way to safely power the strip but still have it linked to other lighting from my motherboard? 

CPU- Ryzen 9 3900x
CPU Cooler- Artic Liquid Freezer 2 240mm
GPU-  EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC ULTRA
RAM- CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB PRO 32GB 3200Mhz 
PSU- Cooler Master MasterWatt 650 Watt
HDD- WD Blue 4TB
SSD- SanDisk Ultra II 500GB SATA III
Case- Custom Made Desk
Motherboard- ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming

Microphone- Blue Snowball Ice
Headphones- Razer Nari Ultimate
Webcam- Logitech c270
Monitors- MSI Optix MAG24C and Acer KA240HQ Abid
Mouse- Corsair Nightsword RGB
Keyboard- Corsair K95 RGB Platinum MX Speed

You can check to see how much current it draws.

How long it is doesn't matter as long as it's less than 3A.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Each led will go up to around 50-60mA depending on brightness and color (full white will use more power) .. so do the math..10 leds = 0.5A,  20 leds = 1A , 60 leds = 3A etc etc

Should be more specific ... each color... red, green, blue typically peaks at around 20mA ... human eyes are more sensitive to red and red leds are more efficient so the peak on red will probably be around 15mA.

So depends on colors displayed by leds ... if two colors are mixed together (ex red and blue to get magenta or whatever) you'll get only 40ish mA per led.

5 hours ago, DevilsHand676 said:

I have a ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming that says it can support up to 5050  RGB LED strips as 3A (12V). But also says it shouldn't go above 3m. My light goes around my desk and is longer than 3m. I don't want to accidently blow the header on my motherboard so is there a way to safely power the strip but still have it linked to other lighting from my motherboard? 

so with rgb it a bit more difficult. if you want more then that 3 amps like mariushm was saying then you need a repeater.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

I have recently achieved this goal myself. From one channel of a Corsair Lighting node pro I have 10 strips of 34 5v RGB leds running in 2 parallels of 5 strips, to overcome this current draw hidden in my loop is a second 2 core loop carrying 5V and rated at 3A, this joins the loop at the end of the 2nd strip on each side and effectively allows 8A to be drawn by the rgbs, this also defeats the colour fade towards the end of the runs which can occur from around 2 meters (60 leds) into a run.

Now I know you say you're on the 12V header but the theory is the same, using the correct strips you can boost the voltage buy plugging in more power downstream, and on 12V, every 3 meters is advisable, though you need to remember the signal strength may not be up to great distances so I don't think I would go beyond 10m in a single run using this technique.

you could though space the leds out more and use diffuser strips, a lot of work but a lot less stress on your header.

4 hours ago, smaky said:

I have recently achieved this goal myself. From one channel of a Corsair Lighting node pro I have 10 strips of 34 5v RGB leds running in 2 parallels of 5 strips, to overcome this current draw hidden in my loop is a second 2 core loop carrying 5V and rated at 3A, this joins the loop at the end of the 2nd strip on each side and effectively allows 8A to be drawn by the rgbs, this also defeats the colour fade towards the end of the runs which can occur from around 2 meters (60 leds) into a run.

Now I know you say you're on the 12V header but the theory is the same, using the correct strips you can boost the voltage buy plugging in more power downstream, and on 12V, every 3 meters is advisable, though you need to remember the signal strength may not be up to great distances so I don't think I would go beyond 10m in a single run using this technique.

you could though space the leds out more and use diffuser strips, a lot of work but a lot less stress on your header.

don't think this works with rgb as there voltages controlled that's why there are repeaters.  you then inject more 12v in too the repeater that has a chip in it like argb and tells the new strip what voltages are to go out.

could you provide a schematic of how to inject 12v in the it? or a video?

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

this is what i got?

RGB-Amplifier-Wiring-Diagra.jpg

On 8/14/2020 at 9:53 PM, thrasher_565 said:

don't think this works with rgb as there voltages controlled that's why there are repeaters.  you then inject more 12v in too the repeater that has a chip in it like argb and tells the new strip what voltages are to go out.

could you provide a schematic of how to inject 12v in the it? or a video?

The power injection I referred to is for the 3 wire type, you simply have a tail coming from the + and - lines on the strip and connect that to a 5V supply, this is connected to in parallel and is used to to hold up the voltage along the run also allowing more current to be drawn preventing discolouring further down the run.

48 minutes ago, smaky said:

please watch this 

umm were is the rgb 12v stuff this is all data argb 5v stuff witch is not what we are talking about....