AMD Announces R9 280 GPU

TheSLSAMG

Let's just hope, that the whole mining thing doesn't catch on too much here in Germany, otherwise we'll be shortly looking at these kinds of prices (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125490)

Not it won't. Electricity is way too expensive to mine. I wanted to mine and also got myself a 280X and had everything set......... 5 days before the big BTC crash where it fell from 1100 USD to 400-ish. Until then LTC mining yielded 300€ netto profit a month. But now...... :P

You'd have to not pay for electricity to make it happen in germany.

Edit: also the hype is over. BTC was in news right before that crash/ becasue of the crash. It will probably never get up anytime soon so....

who cares...

Not it won't. Electricity is way too expensive to mine. I wanted to mine and also got myself a 280X and had everything set......... 5 days before the big BTC crash where it fell from 1100 USD to 400-ish. Until then LTC mining yielded 300€ netto profit a month. But now...... :P

Edit: also the hype is over. BTC was in news right before that crash/ becasue of the crash. It will probably never get up anytime soon so....

litecoin, dogecoin, altcoins.... probably not yet dead :/

about prices of germany specifically... have fun without nuclear powerplants by ~2020 and electricity (prices) thanks to angela merkel :D

alltho i am in favor of green energy and stuff... just you know...

Its up $200 in the last 2 days...

i7 4770k, 16GB Corsair Vengeance

Gigabyte z87, Phanteks Enthoo Primo

about prices of germany specifically... have fun without nuclear powerplants by ~2020 and electricity (prices) thanks to angela merkel :D

dogecoin was dead on release. litecoin is useless so far so I have no idea why people mine them and invest such massive amounts of money.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Those prices aren't even because of the power plant shut downs.(We actually produce more power than the country uses)

The electric companys in Germany are like the ISPs in the US.

The mining situation really sucks.

And not only for AMD because with them having such high prices Nvidia can make the prices for Maxwell sky high and still be cheaper.(Only in the US of course)

RTX2070OC 

high in the $400's? I doubt that. Maybe in the lower half but definitely not leaning towards $500. but then again I guess it depends where you buy.

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

in the video he explain how it will hurt them in the long run go into about 9:20 into the video for how it will hurt them

Yeah, I know. 

I don't understand this argument myself. The total new GPUs sold will remain roughly the same regardless. All that's been done is that you took all the GPUs that AMD would've sold in the future that people bought used mining GPUs instead and sold them now. So this quarter, AMD is gonna look awesome, next quarter, they are gonna look like they suck.

Rather than just looking ok both quarters. 

It's Swings and Roundabouts. <a data-ipb="nomediaparse" data-cke-saved-href="http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/it" href="http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/it" s+swings+and+roundabouts"="">For those who don't get what that means. Or "Everything evens out in the end."

dogecoin was dead on release. litecoin is useless so far so I have no idea why people mine them and invest such massive amounts of money.

People mine them and invest money because there's money to be made investing in it. Chicken or the egg problem.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Let's see. R9 245 250 255 260 265 270 275 280 285 290.

WHAT A LINE-UP?!

Maybe you can get one for 279.99 right when it comes out ^_^ Before the miners make em go up

Let's see. R9 245 250 255 260 265 270 275 280 285 290.

WHAT A LINE-UP?!

Its pretty pointless in my opinion. 

I still want an EVGA GTX 750Ti FTW with the ACX cooler.

Same, Waiting on that giveaway. 

That's what pisses me off the most with the current goverment. All the politicans just want the votes of our stupid nation of nay-sayers. So they object nuclear power, allthough there are many improved methods to gain power from nuclear fission (thorium reactor). All the stupid lambs are affraid because they see what happened in fukushima. We need Rapture ffs!

The weird thing is that Angie Merkel actually has a degree in physics, so she  should know about stuff.... but apperantly voters are more important than our future.

who cares...

The price looks really cool, but the price is going to skyrocket. Damn you newegg!!

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

i liked the 7950. i will own one at some point even if its in the form of the r9 280

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

good luck at getting it for 279.99

i don't care when i get one i'll get one in 10 years for £5 if i have to wait that long. i'm still looking for a good ATI HD3850 AGP and they came out ages ago. there wouldn't be much point getting one now anyway because i've got a 7970, so it would be a downgrade. unless i cf it :P 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

I hate miners with a passion.

I dislike the retailers for jacking up the price.

This video explained how it may hurt them i don't think they are reaping the rewards from the higher priced cards the vendors are.

Well, I guess that fan loyalty thing is a factor... But I still don't see it as big of a deal. And I know that vendors are taking the margin, but they are able to do so only because they are constantly out of stock -> all the cards manufactured are sold, which benefits also AMD. It's shame that AMD can't make more cards though. If they could, the prices would stay at that $550 level and they would sell even more cards (since the gamers would also buy them).

Btw, lets not forget, that this price-thing is a problem mainly in US. In Europe you can get a 290X for 550€. Now they even have some in stock I think... :)

I just hope the Nvidia Maxwell low power consumption dosen't cause miners to switch. I'm very happy with my stable nvidia prices.

(sneezes) "Sorry I'm allergic to bullshit"

So basically this is a 7950 with a horrid cooler?

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ