GTX 1650 vs RX 570: Efficiency vs Performance?

Newblesse Obblige

I can’t decide between these two GPUs as I want a low power consumption PC but I want it to achieve 60 fps on games which the 1650 lacks. The reason why I want a low power GPU because the electric company charges big even though we have done everything to keep our bill low like unplugging appliances that we rarely used and etc,. So I want some advise on which should I pick? I want to/going to play GTA V, Minecraft, Valorant, and LoL. Maybe I want to play Horizon Zero Dawn, Battlefield series(haven’t picked yet), COD MW or Black Ops 3, Far Cry 3 or 4, and Watch Dogs 2(maybe the Legion too) too but I am not gonna buy them all, but maybe I would play them.

My current PC specs:

i5 6400

Asus H110m-K

8GB 2133 MHz Kingston RAM(Single channel smh)

I am a “Hard Drive as OS drive” pleb with 500 GB and one more 500GB(salvaged from a external drive) for file dump/mass storage.

will upgrade/add some components along with the GPU purchase like a SSD, PSU, and RAM.

rx 570 is better performer but uses much more power. can you go for 1650 super? it's performance is near rx 580 but it uses much less power

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

Depends on what your budget for the total upgrade is, but do not that you'll be holding back at least the 570 until you upgrade to dual-channel memory.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

If you get the 1650 you won't need to upgrade your power supply. It's pretty close to the RX 570 in performance anyway, 

Overall, the RX 570 is better than the 1650 performance wise, but also uses a lot of power.

If you can, go for the 1650 super, it's not that much more expensive than the 1650, doesn't use as much power as the RX 570 uses, and also, has similar performance to an RX 580, even beating it in a lot of games where Nvidia is better optimized.

Also, a big upgrade other than the GPU will be moving to an SSD, especially running the games on it, you're gonna see not just much lower load times, but also no hiccups/stuttering that you typically see when running the game on an HDD and even better FPS depending on the game, for example Minecraft or other open world games.

Edit: forgot to mention, as of right now you don't really need to upgrade your RAM if you're just gaming and running stuff like Discord and Spotify in the background, however, if you want to do more than that, for example run some Chrome tabs in the background or anything else, you are going to need more than 8GB. Also, the PSU doesn't need an upgrade unless it's a really cheap one.

17 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

If you get the 1650 you won't need to upgrade your power supply. It's pretty close to the RX 570 in performance anyway, 

It's around 10-15% slower than the 570 off the top of my head which, especially in this class of GPUs, is far from insignificant. Even the newer GDDR6 1650s aren't much faster.

The 1650 Super only pulls around 20W more and it's much superior. It's more than worth the price bump, and it still realistically won't require that amazing of a PSU.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

I recently tested both a RX 570 from Asus and a MSI 1650. Got the following 3d Mark results 

Time Spy - GTX1650 - 3648, RX570 4030

Fire Strike  - GTX1650 - 8332, RX 570 11410

6 minutes ago, Mondas42 said:

I recently tested both a RX 570 from Asus and a MSI 1650. Got the following 3d Mark results 

Time Spy - GTX1650 - 3648, RX570 4030

Fire Strike  - GTX1650 - 8332, RX 570 11410

ffs that 40% dx11 lead wow

6 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

ffs that 40% dx11 lead wow

I know, I was surprised as well. But I did it a few times and that's what i got. They were both tested with a Ryzen 3 3100 and 16mb of RAM, same motherboard as well.

9 minutes ago, Mondas42 said:

I know, I was surprised as well. But I did it a few times and that's what i got. They were both tested with a Ryzen 3 3100 and 16mb of RAM, same motherboard as well.

that why i said the 1650 lacks performance. rx 570 is cheaper but expensive in a long run.

10 minutes ago, Mondas42 said:

The software support on the RX 570 is astounding. It's essentially a 2016 card (because you can literally flash a 470 to a 570) that competed with the 1050 ti.

4 years later it's beating the 1650 super. People who bought a 470 in mid 2016 are having almost as good a time as those who bought a 2500k in 2011.

1 minute ago, 5GigaaHertz said:

that why i said the 1650 lacks performance. rx 570 is cheaper but expensive in a long run.

Expensive in the long run? 

32 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

It's around 10-15% slower than the 570 off the top of my head which, especially in this class of GPUs, is far from insignificant. Even the newer GDDR6 1650s aren't much faster.

The 1650 Super only pulls around 20W more and it's much superior. It's more than worth the price bump, and it still realistically won't require that amazing of a PSU.

yeah, a 10 to 15 percent performance increase/decrease at low-end to mid-range card seems significant on what i observe. 

1 minute ago, Aereldor said:

Expensive in the long run? 

Consumes more power = rip higher electric bill cost(?)

Edited by 5GigaaHertz

27 minutes ago, 5GigaaHertz said:

Consumes more power = rip higher electric bill cost(?)

Is a 40w difference really that significant? The 1650 is at least $20 more, I'd reckon it'd take a while for the power bills to add up enough to cancel savings.

That being said, if this is for an OEM, a 1650 is going  to be cheaper than a 570 and a new PSU, which is why I recommend it. Chances are he's going to be bottlenecked by his 6400 anyway, that thing only gets up to 3.1 GHz on all cores.

Just save some more money and get a 1650 super, not only is the performance gain going to be worth it, but the power savings as well. In my country 1650 and 1650 super gpus are at the same price, on Amazon the 1650 is $30-50 cheaper than the 1650 super, which is just not worth saving considering again that it has pretty similar or even better performance compared to an RX 580 (not 570) and a much lower power consumption than both of them.

6 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Is a 40w difference really that significant?

It is, coming from a place where energy costs a lot of money (but not even as much as some US states LOL), 40w is like keeping 4 lightbulbs on in your house.

For reference, in just one month I saved like $40 by remembering to close the lights when I don't need them.

5 hours ago, Ermil said:

It is, coming from a place where energy costs a lot of money (but not even as much as some US states LOL), 40w is like keeping 4 lightbulbs on in your house.

For reference, in just one month I saved like $40 by remembering to close the lights when I don't need them.

Yeah I understand. I remember when I lived in New York, I had a tiny apartment with almost nothing in it, just a mini fridge and maybe two bulbs on at a time max. My power bill was $2 a month, so low the company had to charge me $20 extra because I was below the minimum.