Affordable, efficient and silent powersupply?

ChiefBigFeather

Dear Community,

I'm looking for a good psu with those criteria:

- excellent 50w load efficiency (not tested by many reviewers unfortunately, I don't care much for 80+ ratings as my pc idles 95% of the time)

- quiet operation, semi passive operation is very desirable for lower dust maintenance

- below 80€ price on geizhals.de

- 450w should be sufficient

So far, the bitfenix formula gold 450 was my go-to psu. But the tier list say there are issues with gpu transients. Do you have better alternatives?

Thanks in advance!

They have the Be Quiet Pure Power 11s on there. They're very silent, but don't ever run fanless. For that, there's a Seasonic Focus GX - which is also one of the best PSUs on the market...

https://geizhals.de/seasonic-focus-gx-550w-atx-2-4-focus-gx-550-a2119946.html?hloc=at&hloc=de

It's 9 euros over your budget though, and everything else is way over.

the tx550m is good, though it's not necessarily the quietest. 

the rm550x or the SP11 550w are silent psu's and are good. 

as for the formula gold, it's a good psu, i don't work with the gpu list, so im not sure what they're referring to in terms of gpu transient, but i would assume they would be talking about gpu's like the v64 (don't quote me on that). but other than that the formula  is good afaik.

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Pretty much as good as you can get with your budget:

https://geizhals.de/be-quiet-pure-power-11-cm-500w-atx-2-4-bn297-a1910266.html?hloc=at&hloc=de (there's also a non modular variant, which is slightly cheaper)

7 minutes ago, ChiefBigFeather said:

So far, the bitfenix formula gold 450 was my go-to psu. But the tier list say there are issues with gpu transients.

That's not really a problem with any GPU you're going to power with a 450W PSU, especially current-gen (Navi and Turing).

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

6 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Pretty much as good as you can get with your budget:

https://geizhals.de/be-quiet-pure-power-11-cm-500w-atx-2-4-bn297-a1910266.html?hloc=at&hloc=de (there's also a non modular variant, which is slightly cheaper)

That's not really a problem with any GPU you're going to power with a 450W PSU, especially current-gen (Navi and Turing).

Thanks for the suggestion! Sadly, the pure power 11's idle efficiency seems to be lower then the formula's :/

6 minutes ago, ChiefBigFeather said:

Sadly, the pure power 11's idle efficiency seems to be lower then the formula's :/

Hm, fair enough, I hadn't actually checked the efficiencies of both prior to replying.

That being said, are you sure that you're not overestimating the importance of low power draw efficiency? I mean, I really wouldn't expect it to make a noticeable difference in your power bill.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Well, I just double checked what I said. I can't find a site that reviewed both the pure power 11 and the formula gold, which is unfortunate. It seems like they are in the same efficiency category.

It doesn't make much of a difference, but I like to optimize :)

I also have a trauma from my old oversized 800w psu in my i7 920 rig that drew 120w at idle.