which ssd should i buy and why

dreamcast4599
Go to solution Solved by Biomecanoid,
2 hours ago, dreamcast4599 said:

i was told a QLC SSD was bad  qlc drive have worse write endurance so if you can pick up a tlc or mlc drive for the same sort of price ur better off with them

The order from better to worse is as follows:

SLC

MLC

TLC

QLC

I advice you go as far as MLC with SLC being the best

so im looking to buy a second SSD to use for games can you guys please look at the pix below and tell me which ssd is best and why the SSD's in the pix are my options please dont recommend me other ssd's

Screenshot (163).png

Screenshot (164).png

Screenshot (165).png

Screenshot (166).png

I'd get the Intel 665p. Pretty much any nvme SSD will behave the same for a game library because normaly the data is written once and then only read in the future. I wouldn't use any of those as a boot drive with continuous writing of data though.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

The cheapest out of the bunch that's got a DRAM cache is the 665p, so that'd be my choice.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

5 minutes ago, Stahlmann98 said:

I'd get the Intel 665p. Pretty much any nvme SSD will behave the same for a game library because normaly the data is written once and then only read in the future. I wouldn't use any of those as a boot drive with continuous writing of data though.

this will be for game installs

TeamGroup MP33 because it is an SLC drive.  QLC and TLC drives try to store more data onto the onboard memory modules which makes the drive slower and more prone to errors.

6 minutes ago, dreamcast4599 said:

this will be for game installs

Then what i said applies to your usecase. Any NVME SSD will feel the same in terms of loading times, etc... I'd get the cheapest one with a cache. I this case the 665p, like @Mateyyy already said.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

3 minutes ago, Biomecanoid said:

TeamGroup MP33 because it is an SLC drive.  QLC and TLC drives try to store more data onto the onboard memory modules which makes the drive slower and more prone to errors.

Only SLC cache. The drive itself is TLC. It's a solid option aswell, i didn't know it has a cache aswell.

6 minutes ago, Biomecanoid said:

It's a TLC drive without a DRAM cache. It's only got a small SLC cache, like most other drives out there.

1 minute ago, Stahlmann98 said:

Only SLC cache. The drive itself is TLC. It's a solid option aswell, i didn't know it has a cache aswell.

It doesn't.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

1 minute ago, Stahlmann98 said:

i was told a QLC SSD was bad  qlc drive have worse write endurance so if you can pick up a tlc or mlc drive for the same sort of price ur better off with them

I would only ever use current dramless ssd's for media storage, not for constant access. While often times even dramless are better than HDD's, at the current prices it just doesn't make much sense to not get a cached drive. For m.2, while I personally use samsung nvme, have built pc's for friends using crucial p1 (1tb at $113USD) and wd black (1tb at $150USD), I'll have to echo the actual recommendation of the intel 665p.

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

are you only limited to newegg?

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

Just now, Oswin said:

are you only limited to newegg?

well my budget is 120 i am open to other places but only ever bought pc parts from newegg and ebay

6 minutes ago, dreamcast4599 said:

I'd personally take a QLC SSD over a DRAMless TLC one.

MLC SSDs are basically nonexistant nowadays, if I'm not mistaken the 970/960 Pro are the only MLC drives released in recent memory, and that's about it.

2 minutes ago, dreamcast4599 said:

well my budget is 120 i am open to other places but only ever bought pc parts from newegg and ebay

You can get an A2000 for $120.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/9vWBD3/kingston-a2000-1-tb-m2-2280-nvme-solid-state-drive-sa2000m81000g

Just now, Mateyyy said:

I'd personally take a QLC SSD over a DRAMless TLC one.

MLC SSDs are basically nonexistant nowadays, if I'm not mistaken the 970/960 Pro are the only MLC drives released in recent memory, and that's about it.

@Mateyyy which ssd from my pix would you recommend the ssd will only be used for installing and running games it wont be used as a boot drive

2 minutes ago, dreamcast4599 said:

@Mateyyy which ssd from my pix would you recommend the ssd will only be used for installing and running games it wont be used as a boot drive

As I've said above, strictly out of those, the 665p.

Just now, Mateyyy said:

As I've said above, strictly out of those, the 665p.

thank you ill give it a look and read some reviews

1 hour ago, dreamcast4599 said:

thank you ill give it a look and read some reviews

When using it as a game drive, you don't need the best write endurance, as you "write" most games only once to the SSD and keep them installed. From there the SSD only needs to read when loading your games. Write endurance only matters when you constantly have to move big files to the SSD, which is normally not the case with game drives.

2 hours ago, dreamcast4599 said:

The order from better to worse is as follows:

SLC

MLC

TLC

QLC

I advice you go as far as MLC with SLC being the best