Security breach and harassment

CuriousPlaces

I work at an independent repair shop and a woman came in yesterday with a HP Probook 445 saying she had a "Jerry Spring esq" security problem. She than described to me a situation where an ex husband who 'works in IT' has been stalking her digitally. It seems he had access to most of her accounts before they separated and has been abusing that power to harass her. She covered her webcam because the ex was texting her a descriptions of what she was wearing. She has moved, changed isp and purchased a new router. One issue I identified was that she was signed into a Microsoft live account he has access to. Thus far my recommendation to her is to create a new email account to than create a new live account, and than change the email associated with her other accounts. Once she has changed the email to than changed the password and the security questions (and change those questions to something she knows he doesn't or just use them as passwords themselves). Than to turn on 2 step verification on all accounts. Some research seems to indicate that her changing the name of her access point at home and then changing the password before signing back in with her devices might help. Would using a VPN in the future help her as well? This problem is out of my depth and was wondering if there were any other steps she could take to block this person from continually messing with her.

Get her to contact the police they can help mitigate the situation

She should also use a machine that he has not had access or influence on or to, so she can use a device with safety of mind on not being spied on.

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

2 hours ago, CuriousPlaces said:

I work at an independent repair shop and a woman came in yesterday with a HP Probook 445 saying she had a "Jerry Spring esq" security problem. She than described to me a situation where an ex husband who 'works in IT' has been stalking her digitally. It seems he had access to most of her accounts before they separated and has been abusing that power to harass her. She covered her webcam because the ex was texting her a descriptions of what she was wearing. She has moved, changed isp and purchased a new router. One issue I identified was that she was signed into a Microsoft live account he has access to. Thus far my recommendation to her is to create a new email account to than create a new live account, and than change the email associated with her other accounts. Once she has changed the email to than changed the password and the security questions (and change those questions to something she knows he doesn't or just use them as passwords themselves). Than to turn on 2 step verification on all accounts. Some research seems to indicate that her changing the name of her access point at home and then changing the password before signing back in with her devices might help. Would using a VPN in the future help her as well? This problem is out of my depth and was wondering if there were any other steps she could take to block this person from continually messing with her.

She needs to save every message. I’d have her contact law enforcement. I’m the US this would be covered under the Computer Fraud and Abuse act. Most states have their own as Federally they can only be prosecuted if it cross state lines or a certain dollar amount. 

Best advice I’d give. Change to all new accounts with new passwords. Reformat the computer and reinstall Windows, in case he put software on it. Another thing is to see if she can figure out when the harassment is coming, like a time. Because if he’s on company time , she could contact the employer and get his ass fired. Because breaking the law on company time could make them liable. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

15 hours ago, CuriousPlaces said:

Unless she uses some more serious security measures on her device it will pretty much be accessible to matter what.  If he knows most basic personal information about her it's easy enough to find an address just by knowing their full name, job, city or state the live in and then track the ip back to that place.  Most people can do this and find somebody but it takes some more skill to actually "use" a device on the network.  Could also try VPNs, network firewalls, and making an investment in a new router/modem for added modern security and features and have it installed by yourself or someone you know can do it right, the guys ISP's send out are usually pretty dumbfounded.  I can consult a few people and mabey find some better solutions as I have a friend that can do the type of things he is.

@CuriousPlaces: my best advise would be to purchase a new device and leave the current one as evidence for police to investigate, unused and not connected to the net. And she should stop using M$ accounts as well as their software. VPNs are not a solution, they only change the location where the lady appears on the web, and does not protect her clearly already compromised PC from outside access.

I agree that law enforcement should clearly get involved as his actions require attention by a Court of Law,

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)