EU launches full scale investigation into the Google-Fitbit acquisition

soldier_ph

Summary

The European Commission has announced that it launches a full scale investigation into the acquisition of Fitbit by Google. The announcement follows a preliminary review, and threatens to derail the purchase of the popular fitness-tracking firm in fear of a possible total control of Fitbits user data by Google. Alphabet, Google's parent company, agreed on a 2.1 Billion USD takeover of the wearable tech firm last year, Google has also promised last month to not use any of the users Health data for targeted advertising. Furthermore the Commission is concerned that the proposed transaction would further entrench Google's market position in the advertising markets by increasing the already vast amount of data that Google could use for personalisation of the ads it serves and displays online.

Quotes

-Quote from the BBC Article-

The European Commission will carry out a full-scale probe into Google's takeover of Fitbit.

The announcement follows a preliminary review, and threatens to derail the purchase of the fitness-tracking firm.

It comes despite Google's offer last month to not use Fitbit's health data for ad targeting.

Google's parent company Alphabet agreed a $2.1bn (£1.6bn) takeover of the wearable tech firm last year. However, the deal has yet to be completed.

"The commission is concerned that the proposed transaction would further entrench Google's market position in the online advertising markets by increasing the already vast amount of data that Google could use for personalisation of the ads it serves and displays," the regulator said.

The watchdog said its investigation should be completed by 9 December.

In response, the tech giant said it would cooperate with the process.

"We appreciate the opportunity to work with the European Commission on an approach that addresses consumers' expectations of their wearable devices," blogged Google's devices chief Rick Osterloh.

My thoughts

Well Google really wants to control all of the data, don't they ? My biggest concern with this acquisition is not that they'll use the Health user data for targeted advertising, they'll do that anyways 'cause they're Google, but rather that they're gonna kill of Fitbit in a few years should this acquisition be approved of. They'll use Fitbits Technology and engineers to make their own Pixel watch and maybe even innovate a bit in the Android Smartwatch space and not leave all the Market share to Apple and after that Fitbit will either die off or it will become one of those companies who stop innovating because their Parent company decided that they don't need funding anymore. No matter what the outcome, it'll probably end badly for Fitbit knowing Google.

Sources

BBC

Forbes

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

I kinda want to move to California just for the "do not sell my data" button.

Quote or mention me or I won't be notified of your reply!

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Max, 32GB RAM)

Links: My beautiful sketchy case | My website

Is fitbit being bought out by Alphabet and being merged with Google or will they still technically be two separate companies and just share whatever they need to?

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

8 minutes ago, ImAlsoRan said:

I kinda want to move to California just for the "do not sell my data" button.

With all the other regulations and shitball laws in place, it's not worth it. But you know what is worth it? Our sponsor!

3 minutes ago, zeusthemoose said:

Is fitbit being bought out by Alphabet and being merged with Google or will they still technically be two separate companies and just share whatever they need to?

Alphabet wants to acquire Fitbit and let it be a Google owned company in it's eco system. Just like they did with Nest and Nord. To the later just got killed off in typical Google fashion. Also here's a list of all companies Google has acquired over the years and then killed of, I'm suspecting Stadia to get added at the end of they year:

https://killedbygoogle.com/

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

3 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

But you know what is worth it? Our sponsor!

Honey !

That's disappointing if they want to kill off Fitbit, no reason they couldn't keep the dev team around and use the tech for a Pixel watch.

Another one Google plans to kill off is Play Music, Google wants users to instead switch to Youtube Music, and if you want to use it on your phone with the screen locked you'll have to buy premium which really sucks IMO.

The Nest wasn't too surprising, but I don't like IoT devices because a company can suddenly decide if your device is obsolete, can't do that with a plain thermostat.  And it seems that people like owning their games and not enough people have a fast enough connection to actually use Stadia  so it doesn't make sense for Google to invest into Stadia.

So the EU is basically trying to step in saying "Google, Nah man, you collect enough user data as it is you don't need more.".

4 hours ago, Pascal... said:

Honey !

honey is the free shopping extension that sells your data even faster then the leading competitor!

go to honey.com/LTT to download the extension and receive $5 in honey coupons!

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

The thing is that they will use the data anyway because of the bullshit fines imposed on giant companies who break the law. You literally just build those fines into the bottom line as a normal business expense.

That's an F in the profile pic