PC taking up alot of ram

Hello,

Im running a 32gb ram system and everything is detected whenever i open up Intelligent Standby List Cleaner (ISLC) but the problem is that even with a fresh restart of my pc, i usually only have about 23GB ram free to use, and nothing on the joblist shows any signs of using more than 4GB. I was wondering if anyone had the same issue with a possible fix for it!

The picture attatched was taken when i was playing Call of Duty which in the joblist only uses about 4GB of ram, so i have no idea what would cause my pc to use so much ram... The task manager has been sorted from highest ram usage to lowest.

thanks in advance 

Udklip.PNG

Udklip.PNG

EDIT: Under the user tab in task manager it says im the only account, and it's using 5GB of ram in total

Can we get a screenshot of the Memory tab of Task Manager under Performance? Check if there's a large amount in Hardware Reserved.

1 minute ago, BlueScope819 said:

Normal. Also don't use RAM cleaners please.

Why shouldn't i use RAM cleaners? im curious ^^

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

Can we get a screenshot of the Memory tab of Task Manager under Performance? Check if there's a large amount in Hardware Reserved.

Here you go

Udklip.PNG

7 minutes ago, ctrl8ed said:

Why shouldn't i use RAM cleaners? im curious ^^

They'll "clean unused data" from your ram whilst in reality it's actually just being stored there for use later and by clearing it all data will have to be fetched again from the disk making overall operation slower.

That and most have some form of adware and whatnot in them

Just now, jaslion said:

They'll "clean unused data" from your ram whilst in reality it's actually just being stored there for use later and by clearing it all data will have to be fetched again from the disk making overall operation slower.

That and most have some form of adware and whatnot in them

never had any issues with adware with ISLC, i've been using it for a little over a year and never had issues with my pc getting slower, is there a better way to clean out your ram though?

Just now, ctrl8ed said:

never had any issues with adware with ISLC, i've been using it for a little over a year and never had issues with my pc getting slower, is there a better way to clean out your ram though?

Windows does it for you those ram cleaners often add more used memory due to them removing necessary files that are just temporarily not used. New systems are plenty fast enough to not notice it but what often happens due to ram cleaners is junk data gets left behind due to the cleaner taking other needed data away and leaving some that the program that needs it doesn't see then and just reloads everything with a chance of leaving the old leftovers behind thus slowly you are creating your own memory leak.

Restart your computer and then take a screenshot of memory usage, but Windows is super bloated so this amount being used is likely normal.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

12 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Windows does it for you those ram cleaners often add more used memory due to them removing necessary files that are just temporarily not used. New systems are plenty fast enough to not notice it but what often happens due to ram cleaners is junk data gets left behind due to the cleaner taking other needed data away and leaving some that the program that needs it doesn't see then and just reloads everything with a chance of leaving the old leftovers behind thus slowly you are creating your own memory leak.

Thanks for the info - never knew about that!

8 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

you have 32gb of ram there is zero reason to use a ram cleaner

You're probably right, but it doesnt explain the excessive amount of ram being used when my windows user uses a total of 5GB..

9 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Restart your computer and then take a screenshot of memory usage, but Windows is super bloated so this amount being used is likely normal.

Will do after this game, gotta get that dub

1 minute ago, BlueScope819 said:

I also have 32gb RAM and im currently using 7.5gb with task manager, the forum, and discord + steam open. it's normal, if you have more RAM windows puts more stuff into it so it's faster for the user.

I  know, i just felt like it was a bit excessive that i only had 23 available and sometimes even less when i wasnt running anything

You do look to be running quite a few background applications. Though it drops off pretty quickly. It might, maybe be normal for your computer.

What are your system specs.

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

You do look to be running quite a few background applications. Though it drops off pretty quickly. It might, maybe be normal for your computer.

What are your system specs.

2 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

GPU - inno3d 1080ti

CPU i9-10900k

corsair vengeance 4x8 sticks @ 3600mhz

ASUS ROG STRIX z490-f

also here is the restarted pc RAM usage

image.png

7 minutes ago, ctrl8ed said:

GPU - inno3d 1080ti

CPU i9-10900k

corsair vengeance 4x8 sticks @ 3600mhz

ASUS ROG STRIX z490-f

also here is the restarted pc RAM usage

image.png

That's a normal amount used. You probably had a bunch of stuff running that was filling your RAM.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

That's a normal amount used. You probably had a bunch of stuff running that was filling your RAM.

the weird thing is that im using the same amount of ram now under users as i was doing before

so i have no idea what was taking up all the ram

What's using RAM after that restart? 4GB is fairly normal when you start your computer with a lot of background applications. Windows is probably using a good chunk of that by itself.

Just now, Windows7ge said:

What's using RAM after that restart? 4GB is fairly normal when you start your computer with a lot of background applications. Windows is probably using a good chunk of that by itself.

Most of the background apps are system applications, the ones that aren't are using below 2mb each

1 minute ago, ctrl8ed said:

the weird thing is that im using the same amount of ram now under users as i was doing before

so i have no idea what was taking up all the ram

Some programs are poorly optimized where they don't clean up after themselves when exited. This could appear in Task Manager as a bunch of used RAM with no program claiming it's the one using it. This is one reason why doing shutdowns every night is a good idea. It clears out the RAM of junk data.

Some programs are poorly optimized where they don't clean up after themselves when exited. This could appear in Task Manager as a bunch of used RAM with no program claiming it's the one using it. This is one reason why doing shutdowns every night is a good idea. It clears out the RAM of junk data.

Yeah, i thought that could be one of the issues, but i restart my pc maybe once or twice /day because of ram usage, but whenever i look at my apps there is nothing really being used but somehow they are still taking up more and more ram

1 minute ago, ctrl8ed said:

Yeah, i thought that could be one of the issues, but i restart my pc maybe once or twice /day because of ram usage, but whenever i look at my apps there is nothing really being used but somehow they are still taking up more and more ram

I looked up your CPU. It has an iGPU that supports up to 64GB of RAM. This tells me it likely shares system RAM. Check your BIOS for iGPU settings and see if it's been allocated something like 4GB and if you can reduce it.

I looked up your CPU. It has an iGPU that supports up to 64GB of RAM. This tells me it likely shares system RAM. Check your BIOS for iGPU settings and see if it's been allocated something like 4GB and if you can reduce it.

Will do, but my pc somehow has 36gb of ram even though i only got 32 gb of RAM sticks, idk what gives out the rest of the RAM

3 minutes ago, ctrl8ed said:

Will do, but my pc somehow has 36gb of ram even though i only got 32 gb of RAM sticks, idk what gives out the rest of the RAM

Probably Paging Files. This is a portion of disk the system treats as RAM. Some older applications explicitly use Paging Files sometimes it's used as an overflow when you're low on RAM.

You can adjust your Paging Files or disable them entirely. I can't say I've noticed any real performance improvement from doing so though.

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

Probably Paging Files. This is a portion of disk the system treats as RAM. Some older applications explicitly use Paging Files sometimes it's used as an overflow when you're low on RAM.

You can adjust your Paging Files or disable them entirely. I can't say I've noticed any real performance improvement from doing so though.

Thanks alot for all the help! you're a champ. I'll mess around abit in bios to see if i can fix my issues completely :)

10 minutes ago, ctrl8ed said:

Thanks alot for all the help! you're a champ. I'll mess around abit in bios to see if i can fix my issues completely :)

I don't have your motherboard so finding the iGPU VRAM setting is going to be a bit of a hunt. I found a little exert that may get you going in the right direction though:

Advanced/North Bridge Configuration/Shared Memory.

That might be where you need to go. If it is there may be information to the right or bottom telling you it's to change the Memory allocated to the integrated graphics processor. See if it's set to 2GB or 4GB.