Dilema: Purchase and old MOBO compatible with a 6th gen i5 or go for a Ryzen setup

A little bit of background: My computer broke down just at the beggining of the corona pandemic, so I've been waiting to shops and other stuff to open in order to get a proper diagnostic. The thing is that the MOBO died and now I'm in a dilema on what to do.

My current PC has the following setup:

• Intel i5 6500
  • Asus H170 pro (dead one)
  • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400 (2x4GB)
  • KFA2 GeForce GTX 1060 OC 3GB
  • Kingston SSD a400 120GB (OS drive)
  • Kingston SSD a400 480GB
  • Seasonic S12II-520Bronze, 520 W

As of the current situation, I'm not working full time and my budget is limited to around 200€. Also I can't wait much longer because it's the main PC at home and I've waited as much as I could.

My options are these:

• Get and old mobo, currently thinking of an ASRock Fatal1ty E3V5 Performance Gaming/OC that will cost around 67€ (with taxes) that is compatible with 6th and 7th Intel Core processors and also with a Xeon E3 1220 V5 that I can obtain from my current job from and old server and try to OC it when I have time.
  • Forget about intel and go for a Ryzen 3100 and pair it with one of these mobos: Asrock B450M Steel Legend or Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite that costs about 200€ (with taxes)

I'll reach you for advice and also to get other options if possible.

Thanks in advance for your help.

NOTE: Take into account that I'm from Spain. For things like availability of parts and also access to second hand market.

Edited by Vlad Vado
Forgot to put the price for the E3V5 mobo

If you can get a 3100 and a new b450 board then go for it, you'll move to a platform with upgradability, other than limiting yourself to a 4c/8t chip as the best chip that you can get. 

Is the Xeon and the lga1151 board worth 200 bucks? I would say no since a 3100 and a new b450 board would cost about the same. 

3 minutes ago, Vlad Vado said:

that is compatible with 6th and 7th Intel Core processors

I'm going to assume you'll have to pay for that as well. If so then moving to a different platform wouldn't be a bad idea. 

If it's for free and you only have to pay for the board, then it's not a bad idea. 

If both of these upgrades would cost 200 euros at the end. A 3100 and a b450 board would be a better idea. 

5 minutes ago, Vlad Vado said:

Asrock B450M Steel Legend or Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite

Are you only limited to these? 

What about a b450 pro 4? Which is generally cheaper than both and does the same thing. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

4 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

If it's for free and you only have to pay for the board, then it's not a bad idea. 

If both of these upgrades would cost 200 euros at the end. A 3100 and a b450 board would be a better idea. 

I've only need to pay for the board, I have my i5 6500 and the Xeon E3 1220 v5 is for free (it was going to end in the dumpster).

4 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

Are you only limited to these? 

What about a b450 pro 4? Which is generally cheaper than both and does the same thing. 

I'm not limited, but both are right now at less than 100€ and I've checked the Asrock b450 pro 4 and the price difference is less than 10€ right now.

5 minutes ago, Vlad Vado said:

I've only need to pay for the board

So the cost would end up being cheaper than 200 euros.  I mean the 6500 will struggle in a lot of things considering it's a 4c/4t chip, it will struggle with a lot of things. 

A 3100 is comparable to a 6700/7700, and will perform better than both the xeon and the 6500, if you want to upgrade to a 7700/6700, they're usually overpriced and cost more then  150-200 bucks ( at least last time I checked). Which at that point it's not worth it. 

I would say moving to a different platform I worth it. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

9 minutes ago, Vlad Vado said:

I've only need to pay for the board, I have my i5 6500 and the Xeon E3 1220 v5 is for free (it was going to end in the dumpster).

I'm not limited, but both are right now at less than 100€ and I've checked the Asrock b450 pro 4 and the price difference is less than 10€ right now.

Don't waste money on a dead obsolete platform when you can get a MUCH better modern one that still has support.

Depends on how long you want the system to last for games etc

Have you thought of getting a second hand mobo? you could easily pick one up cheap.

but the 3100 and a good b450 board is a good upgrade choice, which will give you a few years of fun

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

On 8/4/2020 at 1:36 PM, shaz2sxy said:

Depends on how long you want the system to last for games etc

Have you thought of getting a second hand mobo? you could easily pick one up cheap.

but the 3100 and a good b450 board is a good upgrade choice, which will give you a few years of fun

I've decided to get the 3100 + b450 board as everyone is suggesting as being the best way to go. I plan to change the graphics card next year if everything goes better than this 2020...

Thanks @TofuHaroto @5x5 and @shaz2sxy for your help.

and also with a Xeon E3 1220 V5 that I can obtain from my current job from and old server and try to OC it when I have time.

As far as I know, Xeon CPU aren't overclockable above their turbo frequency. You can lock them to their turbo, but not going above.
I own a Xeon E3-1285L v4 (yes, a rare Broadwell CPU for desktop in LGA1151, it's basically a i7 5775C but without the C feature lol) and the ratio is locked. The same applies for more recent Xeon, as well as older ones.

Now, for the upgrade, it depends of the budget. If you're really low on budget, maybe try to sell that Xeon and get a motherboard for replacement. The i5 6500 is 4c/4t but still OK at the moment. Or if you have enough budget to make upgrade, then get an AMD motherboard and go with Ryzen. Which is looks like you decided to do x)
You can check the second-hand parts which is plenty of cheap Ryzen 5 CPU (or maybe Ryzen 7 second-gen) instead of going with a new Ryzen 3 (lots of people buys Ryzen 5 then sell them to upgrade to Ryzen 7/9).

14 hours ago, NightLunya said:

As far as I know, Xeon CPU aren't overclockable above their turbo frequency. You can lock them to their turbo, but not going above.

I'm not an expert on that regard. The think is that I've searched and as you can tell by this video of Greg, Asrock made that possible with an specific mobo: 

Yes, it's talking about the E3 1230 V5 but you can do that with the 1220 V5.

14 hours ago, NightLunya said:

Now, for the upgrade, it depends of the budget. If you're really low on budget, maybe try to sell that Xeon and get a motherboard for replacement. The i5 6500 is 4c/4t but still OK at the moment. Or if you have enough budget to make upgrade, then get an AMD motherboard and go with Ryzen. Which is looks like you decided to do x)
You can check the second-hand parts which is plenty of cheap Ryzen 5 CPU (or maybe Ryzen 7 second-gen) instead of going with a new Ryzen 3 (lots of people buys Ryzen 5 then sell them to upgrade to Ryzen 7/9).

I don't want to go to the second hand market. Mainly because I'm not sure how healthy it's on my country and I want to at least have the full warranty. I've been talking with my fiancee and, after taking into account our current financial status I've upgraded the CPU for a ryzen 5 3600. Next thing to upgrade will be the graphics card but it won't be earlier than 2021 christmas because that will mean upgrading the current screen as its a 1080p one.

Only to do a follow up. This morning both cpu and mobo arrived. As I've arlready said, I've finally decided to go for Ryzen 5 3600 instead of Ryzen3.

IMG_20200812_082933.jpg.cdd7fc8473feb8b45a98527c51466980.jpg

I've already installed them:

IMG_20200812_132202.thumb.jpg.5c07985cea3827e21668bbb970f70605.jpg

And posted properly:

IMG-20200812-WA0001.thumb.jpeg.8f649535b9ce4af6200eb5a57b3fd620.jpeg

I've already changed the RAM speed to 2400 as it's Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400 and restarted computer and Windows run. This afternoon I'll be doing the cable management and setup a wifi usb adapter as at my new home I don't have the router at the same room as the computer.