Can’t plugin the 24 pin connector!

nelson10031

Hello I was building my first gaming pc and everything went smoothly. I was trying plugin the 24 pin connector but it just wouldn’t go in. I used all my force on it but still wouldn’t go in and it felt like I was gonna brake the motherboard. Ideas or anything what I should do?

Plugging in the 24pin can feel like you will break the motherboard.

Pictures/videos?

First one would be to cgheck if the connector is supposed to go in the right way.

Then check if that hasn't happened:

Spoiler

2fivfkfmh0u21.jpg

I edit my posts more often than not

Make sure the orientation is right and try wiggling it, it's a lot of friction to overcome

Would be nice if we got photos to make sure nothing is wrong

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

It’s pretty hard to see thats the clip side and Im using all my force.

image.jpg

9 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Then check if that hasn't happened:

What? The missing pin that is circled? That is supposed to be empty. It used to be -5V but that's no longer used.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, Spotty said:

What? The missing pin that is circled? That is supposed to be empty. It used to be -5V but that's no longer used.

Ah right, I didn't go over pinout, bit embarassing.

But theoretically pins could get bent or broken, not an easy task though.

3 minutes ago, nelson10031 said:

It’s pretty hard to see thats the clip side and Im using all my force.

looks pretty seated from this angle

can we get a side view with torch/flashlight?

Which PSU do you have? Is it modular? If so can we get a photo of the other end of the cable that goes in to the PSU side. Make sure you're not plugging the PSU end in to the motherboard.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

20 minutes ago, nelson10031 said:

Ideas or anything what I should do?

Picture? The 24 pin on some PSUs breaks to a 20+4 and only goes in one way. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Look at the pins in the board's 24 pin ATX connector slot, make sure all pins are standing straight up, centered in their respective places/holes. If not you'll have to get those straightened so the plug can go in.
Also check the PSU's connector too, if you have a slot with a messed up hole for these pins they won't go in and you do risk damage to the board.

I will say if it has a messed up connector either fix it or RMA the PSU and be done with it.

If both sides are down equally and the sides of the plug do meet the board's connector housing all around the plug is in fully.

Sometimes you won't get the hook on the PSU plug to actually latch to the tab but the connector itself does take some effort to unplug so it's really a non-issue if that's the case here.
Main thing is to have it down in the plug as far as it can go with the plug to the connector in equally all around (Fully seated).

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

One more thing - Make sure you don't have a wire in the PSU plug that's "Loose" as in it wiggles around easily. If one of the pinholes in the connector has an end that's moving around it could be getting off center and you'll have a hard time plugging it up if at all.

These ends must match up to the pins in the board's ATX connector header or it's a no-go, they can't spin around/move around to one side in the plug's housing. 

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

13 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Ah right, I didn't go over pinout, bit embarassing.

But theoretically pins could get bent or broken, not an easy task though.

25 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Make sure the orientation is right and try wiggling it, it's a lot of friction to overcome

Would be nice if we got photos to make sure nothing is wrong

Some of the the connectors in the 24 pin doesnt look that straight

image.jpg

Just now, nelson10031 said:

Some of the the connectors in the 24 pin doesnt look that straight

looks fine to me, doesnt have to be absolutely straight

If you teeter it up-down, do the sides (upper and lower) go in or not?

I looked again at the first pic - It's looks OK, maybe a tad to one side but more than good enough from what I can see.

Sometimes the latch won't catch the tab and hook but it's not a problem since once it's plugged it you don't have to worry about it simply falling out.

As long as both connector housings are meeting flush all the way around it's fine.

It looks in and I can barely get my nail under it but it wont turn on

Doublecheck your header connections, if you have the power button's plug off by one pin it won't turn on.

There is a very small chance it's a board/PSU compatability issue, I have a board that doesn't "Like" my big PSU's but the PSU's work with everything else period.
The board works with the others I've got, just not with the big ones I have (1600W PSU's).

Already checked them and I don’t think it’s too big 

8 hours ago, nelson10031 said:

Already checked them and I don’t think it’s too big 

That's not what I meant.
Sometimes it's just the PSU and board for some reason aren't compatable with each other, it's that simple - Nothing to do with wattage here.

In reality there is no such thing as a PSU that's too big aside from it physically fitting into your case or not.