Extremely High temperatures after applying thermal paste

Dell Dorado

Hello. I've been getting extremely high temperatures on my HP Omen laptop, with a GTX 1060 and an i7-8750h, even after reapplying the thermal paste. In game, I get 97 Celsius on my CPU and around 90 Celsius on my GPU, and this causes really low fps. I added the thermal paste around 16 hours ago. I thought the thermal paste would help, but apparently it didn't make a difference. Someone help please.

1 minute ago, DutchGuyTom said:

I am not an expert on this by any means and I don't know what the normal temps are for your notebook model but I recently (~3 months ago) re-applied thermal paste on my GS63 notebook and it made a drastic difference (1060 and i7-7700HQ). I used MX-4 thermal paste.

If your temps went up, I would wager you applied it incorrectly (either not enough or far too much) or you used some awful quality thermal paste. Also make sure you have applied enough pressure on the heatsinks against the CPU and GPU.

If your temps are the same then it is very possible that your notebook's cooling capacity is just at its limits. Most gaming notebooks run really hot. My notebook's cpu, for example, was always thermal throttling - even when undervolting (95° C). Check what your notebook's normal temps are by looking up a thorough review of your notebook and other consumers' experience. I recommend checking if notebookcheck.net has a review on your specific model.

Also, make sure your fans are working normally and see if you can modify how fast your fans run.

Thank you for the response. I also used Arctic MX-4 thermal paste, the one with the 8 year guarantee. I am sure that applied pressure to the thermal paste. I have looked up before, and people say that they are experiencing the same temperatures, but there are no fixes yet. I came here hoping for a fix, though.

Those temps are on the higher end but not too unusual for laptops.

Make sure the cooler is reattached properly, the thermal paste was applied well, and the thermal pads are good. If they are and no difference was made, give it a good cleaning and dusting and make sure the fans have good access to air.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

27 minutes ago, Dell Dorado said:

Hello. I've been getting extremely high temperatures on my HP Omen laptop, with a GTX 1060 and an i7-8750h, even after reapplying the thermal paste. In game, I get 97 Celsius on my CPU and around 90 Celsius on my GPU, and this causes really low fps. I added the thermal paste around 16 hours ago. I thought the thermal paste would help, but apparently it didn't make a difference. Someone help please.

Laptops will always run hot, honestly if thermal paste and a proper reseal didn’t help, I’d just crank the fans 

3 minutes ago, DotzHyper said:

Laptops will always run hot, honestly if thermal paste and a proper reseal didn’t help, I’d just crank the fans 

But with HP Omen's Crappy software, I can't put my fans to my preferred speed. I can only put 3 settings. Cool, default, and Performace. 

2 minutes ago, Dell Dorado said:

But with HP Omen's Crappy software, I can't put my fans to my preferred speed. I can only put 3 settings. Cool, default, and Performace. 

Seee which one does the best Jon and apply an XTU undervolt. The 8750H runs very hot, just how it is