RTX 20XX h264/h265 compression : impact on CPU?

Larry Philips

Hi,

If anyone tried h264/h265 compression with their GPU (using Handbrake), could you please tell me does it decrease CPU usage?

Thanks

Of course.  It will still use a little bit of your CPU, but most of the work will be done on the GPU.  Unless you play with the settings, GPU encode will usually look worse than a similar settings on CPU encode.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Yes, it's also quite a lot quicker, at least with my components.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

1 hour ago, Samfisher said:

Of course.  It will still use a little bit of your CPU, but most of the work will be done on the GPU.  Unless you play with the settings, GPU encode will usually look worse than a similar settings on CPU encode.

How much worse?

I have quite a lot of footage shot with a Black Magic camera (quite high quality, with high bit-rate) that I know I won't use in any project, but want to keep for personal memory / archive.

I can trade off some quality for a significant gain of space on my hard drives.

I'll probably choose h265, maybe the quality loss is less than with h264?

Or should I just postpone my new computer purchase and wait to see if the next generation GPUs will include the forthcoming h266 encoder/decoder ?

14 hours ago, Larry Philips said:

How much worse?

I have quite a lot of footage shot with a Black Magic camera (quite high quality, with high bit-rate) that I know I won't use in any project, but want to keep for personal memory / archive.

I can trade off some quality for a significant gain of space on my hard drives.

I'll probably choose h265, maybe the quality loss is less than with h264?

Or should I just postpone my new computer purchase and wait to see if the next generation GPUs will include the forthcoming h266 encoder/decoder ?

Quality can be good or better if you set a target bitrate and/or size and play with the settings to push quality higher.  Turing HEVC is more efficient and better quality than H.264 even at the Slow Preset.  You gotta try out a few clips to find the sweet spot for you.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.