My pc running super slow all of a sudden

III_ELITE_lll

Recently me pc has been running SUPER SLOW. My boot times are very fast (6 seconds) but my pc is being super laggy and acting weird. My wallpaper that is animated is laggy and moving less than one frame per second. When I try to load Valorant it says I have no connection but my speeds according to chrome are 100+. I can use the internet but it seems like very laggy and takes a few seconds to load another tab or search something. My pc never used to be like this. I used Norton AntiVirus to check and see if a virus was slowing it down but I’m in the clear. I have enough space on my drive too. I don’t know what to do. I am also getting audio and visual stutters when I some how make it into a game. Can someone help?

Anti-virus on it's own can really bog down your system in my opinion. 

You could try checking your auto startup programs to see if something is running in the background and stealing resources. Checking task manager is my go-to when I feel my system stuttering.

CCleaner is also a great tool. 

Is this a pre-built PC? Custom PC? Laptop? Is it dusty? If the CPU is thermal throttling it could cause this.

Search up on google how to do a "Clean boot" on windows 10...if its not a hardware issue, then this will help.

10 minutes ago, Cpt. William said:

Could this be an overheating issue? Have you checked that all fans are running?

I don’t think the problem is overheating because my temps idol are around 55

11 minutes ago, KhakiHat said:

Anti-virus on it's own can really bog down your system in my opinion. 

You could try checking your auto startup programs to see if something is running in the background and stealing resources. Checking task manager is my go-to when I feel my system stuttering.

CCleaner is also a great tool. 

I turned off most startup apps and turned off background apps

5 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Is this a pre-built PC? Custom PC? Laptop? Is it dusty? If the CPU is thermal throttling it could cause this.

This is a custom built, built around a month ago.  the cpu is not thermal throttling and it’s not dusty at all

5 minutes ago, IBM_THINKPAD_R51 said:

Search up on google how to do a "Clean boot" on windows 10...if its not a hardware issue, then this will help.

I just clean restarted windows a few days ago. It completely wiped everything and gave my pc a fresh start.

5 minutes ago, III_ELITE_lll said:

I just clean restarted windows a few days ago. It completely wiped everything and gave my pc a fresh start.

it doesnt wipe everything, you can re-check everything and have all your application start up automatically again

2 minutes ago, IBM_THINKPAD_R51 said:

it doesnt wipe everything, you can re-check everything and have all your application start up automatically again

Should I do it again because I just did it a few days ago?

12 minutes ago, III_ELITE_lll said:

This is a custom built, built around a month ago.  the cpu is not thermal throttling and it’s not dusty at all

What does your RAM usage look like?

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

What does your RAM usage look like?

Ram usage sits at 30 percent sitting idol with maybe a chrome tab open or something. in games, it stays at around 80

Just now, III_ELITE_lll said:

Ram usage sits at 30 percent sitting idol with maybe a chrome tab open or something. in games, it stays at around 80

Do you recall introducing any new software around the time it started doing this? If you check Task Manager does it appear to be maxing anything out anywhere? Are any applications or processes hogging resources?

Do you recall introducing any new software around the time it started doing this? If you check Task Manager does it appear to be maxing anything out anywhere? Are any applications or processes hogging resources?

I installed discord the day it started do this. But the time when it really started happening is when I installed Ark: Survival Evolved. It is a 100 gb game. And took almost an hour to install.

I also don’t think anything is maxing out or any programs are taking a lot to run, but I can’t check now because I just shut down my pc for the night

1 minute ago, III_ELITE_lll said:

I installed discord the day it started do this. But the time when it really started happening is when I installed Ark: Survival Evolved. It is a 100 gb game. And took almost an hour to install.

I also don’t think anything is maxing out or any programs are taking a lot to run, but I can’t check now because I just shut down my pc for the night

When you find the time tomorrow take a screen grab of the Performance page of Task Manager anyways. We'll see if anything looks suspicious.

What's your GPU temp look like? Wonder if it might be a crypto-miner virus.

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

When you find the time tomorrow take a screen grab of the Performance page of Task Manager anyways. We'll see if anything looks suspicious.

What's your GPU temp look like? Wonder if it might be a crypto-miner virus.

Ok I will. My gpu temps are quit normal around 70 ish when playing games. sitting idol or browsing internet I’ve never checked. I got a pop up today that told me Norton blocked a threat. Thank u for the help I really appreciate it. 

2 minutes ago, III_ELITE_lll said:

Ok I will. My gpu temps are quit normal around 70 ish when playing games. sitting idol or browsing internet I’ve never checked. I got a pop up today that told me Norton blocked a threat.

It would probably be obvious something was going on there anyways because your GPU fans would be whirling while idling at the desktop. If they're not then I'm probably wrong.

4 minutes ago, III_ELITE_lll said:

Thank u for the help I really appreciate it. 

No problem. :D

Something else we can try just to see if we're really dealing with a software problem or if it might be hardware is booting another OS. When you play a online video (youtube/etc) are there obvious problems? Try booting something like Ubuntu off a thumb drive and opening the Firefox browser. See if it has the same problems playing a video or not.

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

It would probably be obvious something was going on there anyways because your GPU fans would be whirling while idling at the desktop. If they're not then I'm probably wrong.

No problem. :D

Something else we can try just to see if we're really dealing with a software problem or if it might be hardware is booting another OS. When you play a online video (youtube/etc) are there obvious problems? Try booting something like Ubuntu off a thumb drive and opening the Firefox browser. See if it has the same problems playing a video or not.

Ok I will try that tomorrow. If I boot Ubuntu, will it save everything I have on windows? 

I’m not sure about the YouTube. I’m not sure if I’m just  making this up in my head but I feel like I used to have much better quality videos. They kind of seem more pixelated. I’m not sure though.

2 minutes ago, III_ELITE_lll said:

Ok I will try that tomorrow. If I boot Ubuntu, will it save everything I have on windows? 

If you setup Ubuntu on a thumb drive you can "Try Ubuntu" from the installer. It won't save anything to your storage drive but if you're worried about it you could disconnect your boot drive before you boot Ubuntu just to be safe.

I’m not sure about the YouTube. I’m not sure if I’m just  making this up in my head but I feel like I used to have much better quality videos. They kind of seem more pixelated. I’m not sure though.

Did you try adjusting the Quality? :P Compression could also cause things to look more pixelated. That'd be a bandwidth problem.

If you setup Ubuntu on a thumb drive you can "Try Ubuntu" from the installer. It won't save anything to your storage drive but if you're worried about it you could disconnect your boot drive before you boot Ubuntu just to be safe.

Did you try adjusting the Quality? :P Compression could also cause things to look more pixelated. That'd be a bandwidth problem.

I set the quality to 1440p and I will disconnect my ssd for the Ubuntu process. Thanks again 

I turned on my pc this morning and it seems to be running fine. I don’t know what happened yesterday but everything is running how it should except for chrome not opening unless I run it as administrator.

13 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

I turned on my pc this morning and it seems to be running fine. I don’t know what happened yesterday but everything is running how it should except for chrome not opening unless I run it as administrator. ( i am saying this again and quoting you so you will see the notification.)