(Please recommend) Completely idiot-proof PSU choices. Reliable + safe.

Kabrevre

I'd like to buy a new PSU when I buy some new more-costly parts in the near future because I'd like to protect my investment so to speak. I have an Antec VP plus 700w right now but to be frank it makes squeals and hisses that put my nerves on edge. It's not had any issues but I've built an awful lot of PCs and PSUs should NOT whistle and whine when your dispaly changes colour.
Anyhow, I'd like a semi/fully modular supply around 800 - 1000w with a million-and-one different protective circuits. Many website info pages show five or six abbreviations for over/undervolt/surge protections, but I'd like to ask if there is a brand or specific PSU unit which has legendary reliability. I'm not fussed about efficiency, but I want to make sure this thing will save my hardware even if it's hit with Thor's hammer. I'm willing to spend a fair bit here, because while peace of mind is expensive, it pays you back every use every day. Many opinion pages say Seasonic and Superflower are among the highest quality, but nothing beats an endorsement from an experienced, genuine user.

Links to my current shortlist. (Probably not the cheapest places, but I'll price match later after the best part is determined.)
https://allneeds.com.au/seasonic-focus-plus-gold-850w-power-supply-6872
https://www.pccasegear.com/products/47175/super-flower-leadex-titanium-1600w-power-supply
https://www.pccasegear.com/products/41149/seasonic-prime-ultra-titanium-1000w-power-supply
https://www.pccasegear.com/products/41500/seasonic-prime-gold-1300w-power-supply

Thanks very much for your help.

Well the options you listed range from 850W of output all the way to 1600W - not a small difference really to say the least. 

550W is enough for the vast majority of single-GPU systems, 650W let's say is also a very common choice just for some headroom, but considering what you've said probably a high-end 750W PSU will be your best bet. What are your current components though, just to get it out of the way, and what's your budget exactly?

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

What's your build? A single GPU system is unlikely to need over 650w.

I just got the Corsair RM650x myself which gives you a 10 year warranty on a fully modular PSU for about the price of the first PSU you linked to (which oddly links to the 750w model not the 850w mentioned in the URL).  Although hearing what the new NVIDIA cards might need to overclock, I am wondering if 750w would have been better.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

18 minutes ago, Kabrevre said:

but I'd like to ask if there is a brand or specific PSU unit which has legendary reliability

probably something like the Delta GM plattform or its derivatives. 

which you can find on the Antex HCP platinum or cooler master V-series. while not the best in any measure, they are allegedly really well-built. as for measure of reliability, there are a few to not get, but really you should just look at how good the unit itself is. 

21 minutes ago, Kabrevre said:

Many opinion pages say Seasonic and Superflower are among the highest quality, but nothing beats an endorsement from an experienced, genuine user.

both seasonic and superflower have great plattforms, tho almost only singlerail. which at the higher wattages, 750w and up, you kinda want to consider as an extra protection. unless the only thing you do is extreme overclocking. 

so looking at the sticker sadly doesnt help you pick anything. 

Thanks to everyone's advice so far.

I'm currently using:
Ryzen 5 2600.
MSI B450M-A Pro.
Sapphire Nitro+ 5700xt.
Two WD blues 4tb mirrored.
Two 240GB SSDs.
16GB Fortis 2400.
Aaaannnd maybe slightly too many fans. (5 x 80mm Vantec Tornados and 2 x 120mm ones.)

In the future I'm looking at an X570 board and Ryzen 9 3900x or 3950x, but I'll probably buy from the next Ryzen range and an X670 when they release later in the year. I don't OC anything because the risk is much higher than the reward in my situation, and eventually I'll be incorporating power-window motors into my case as a part of a mod. Hence why idiot-proofing is a good plan. I'd consider a second PSU just to run the stupid stuff but adding power units would not be the elegant solution I'm looking for. As far as I know there isn't much benefit to get from using dual 5700xt cards. I can run games maxed out and I'm very happy with my framerates at 1080p. 4k gaming is not on my wishlist right now.

1 hour ago, Kabrevre said:

Hence why idiot-proofing is a good plan.

can allways grab something like this:

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/Ywx2FT/cooler-master-v-platinum-1000-w-80-platinum-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-mpz-a001-afbapv-us

this being one of the Deltas i mentioned. 

or this:

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/mQDkcf/super-flower-leadex-iii-gold-750-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-sf-750f14hg

lacks multirail OCP, but so does all the units you mentioned at the top

I hadn't checked through PCPC for alternatives, thanks a lot for those leads. ; )