power supply surges detected,what would you do?

frozensun

So I got this message on Asus Motherboard while gaming Doom Eternal twice in like 10 minutes immedilatey after black screen and reboot.

Does it necessary mean that my PSU is bad,and I should replace it?

Yeah for sure I can disable warning in BIOS,but then again who knows what would happen.

What would you do.

Maybe to load some benchmarks and see what would happen?

I know that when I first got this message I googled and find out that there were guys who even replace PSU but didn't solve the problem.

My PSU is mediocre,it's not the problem to replace it with new one but I need to be sure it's really PSU issue not MoBo.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

Full specs?

If it's your grid that's the issue and not your PSU, you might consider getting yourself a UPS.

BabyBlu (Primary): 

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ up to 5.3GHz, 5.0GHz all-core, delidded
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 @ 4000MHz 16-18-18-34
  • GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Sea Hawk EK X, 2070MHz core, 8000MHz mem
  • Case: Phanteks Evolv X
  • Storage: XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB, 3x ADATASU800 1TB (RAID 0), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
  • PSU: Corsair HX1000i
  • Display: MSI MPG341CQR 34" 3440x1440 144Hz Freesync, Dell S2417DG 24" 2560x1440 165Hz Gsync
  • Cooling: Custom water loop (CPU & GPU), Radiators: 1x140mm(Back), 1x280mm(Top), 1x420mm(Front)
  • Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Brown)
  • Mouse: MasterMouse MM710
  • Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Roxanne (Wife Build):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ up to 5.0GHz, 4.8Ghz all-core, relidded w/ LM
  • Motherboard: Asus Z97A
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper 4x8GB DDR3-2400 @ 10-12-12-24
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 w/ LM
  • Case: Corsair Vengeance C70, w/ Custom Side-Panel Window
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Silicon Power A80 2TB NVME
  • PSU: Corsair AX760
  • Display: Samsung C27JG56 27" 2560x1440 144Hz Freesync
  • Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB
  • Keyboard: GMMK TKL(Kailh Box White)
  • Mouse: Glorious Model O-
  • Headset: SteelSeries Arctis 7

BigBox (HTPC):

• CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3600 @ 3600MHz 14-14-14-28
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus OC, de-shrouded, LM TIM, replaced mem therm pads
  • Case: Fractal Design Node 202
  • Storage: SP A80 1TB, WD Black SN770 2TB
  • PSU: Corsair SF600 Gold w/ NF-A9x14
  • Display: Samsung QN90A 65" (QLED, 4K, 120Hz, HDR, VRR)
  • Cooling: Thermalright AXP-100 Copper w/ NF-A12x15
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Rii i4
  • Controllers: 4X Xbox One & 2X N64 (with USB)
  • Sound: Denon AVR S760H with 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

Harmonic (NAS/Game/Plex/Other Server):

• CPU: Intel Core i7 6700
  • Motherboard: ASRock FATAL1TY H270M
  • RAM: 64GB DDR4-2133
  • GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530
  • Case: Fractal Design Define 7
  • HDD: 3X Seagate Exos X16 14TB in RAID 5
  • SSD: Inland Premium 512GB NVME, Sabrent 1TB NVME
  • Optical: BDXL WH14NS40 flashed to WH16NS60
  • PSU: Corsair CX450
  • Display: None
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-U14S
  • Keyboard/Mouse: None

NAS:

• Synology DS216J
  • 2x8TB WD Red NAS HDDs in RAID 1. 8TB usable space

2 minutes ago, HairlessMonkeyBoy said:

Full specs?

PSU:GX 650W

MoBo:Rampage V

GPU: R9 390 Strix

Probably this PSU is not enough for this GPU and there is an issue when GPU is under stress.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

I would disable the thing in BIOS, because Asus anti surge is known to just be full of crap, and be triggered by just restarts.

:)

18 minutes ago, frozensun said:

So I got this message on Asus Motherboard while gaming Doom Eternal twice in like 10 minutes immedilatey after black screen and reboot.

Does it necessary mean that my PSU is bad,and I should replace it?

The Asus anti surge message is useless. It just tells you that the PC was turned off/restarted unexpectedly.

Could be the PSU. Could be anything else.

Since it's restarting and not shutting down it's probably not the PSU. More likely CPU overclock, ram, video card, bad drivers, bumping the power button...

Did you get a BSOD?

3 minutes ago, frozensun said:

PSU:GX 650W

MoBo:Rampage V

it's enough.

You seem to be missing a few components from the "full spec list" there.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

I would disable the thing in BIOS, because Asus anti surge is known to just be full of crap, and be triggered by just restarts.

I would agree but disabling the message still wouldn't solve the actual problem of the system restarting during games. Better off fixing that problem then it won't restart and you won't see the useless Asus message.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

10 minutes ago, Spotty said:

I would agree but disabling the message still wouldn't solve the actual problem of the system restarting during games. Better off fixing that problem then it won't restart and you won't see the useless Asus message.

so what would you do?

CPU: 2640 V3 no OC on Xeon.

RAM: Corsair dominator 4x4GB 2666MHz.

I just read that most of guys resolved the issue by replacing PSU.

I could swap the graphics card with R7 370 which is less power hungry and this rig I don't even need to play games with...to save myself of buyin new PSU.

Just now, frozensun said:

so what would you do?

Follow normal troubleshooting steps to solve unexpected restarts.

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Follow normal troubleshooting steps to solve unexpected restarts.

In this case anything can be potential issue,so that is impossible mission.

what would you do in particular?

For example take another PSU and test the rig with it,right?

Good idea?

I have 4 desktop PC,I'll use tested PSU and plug in and test rig with other PSU to see what would happen.

I have all desktop PC pluged to surge protector so I'm not pretty sure wtf is happening?

I'll flash to latest BIOS

I'm on 1902

Can I flash directly to 4101?

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_V_EXTREME/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Actually PC is quite stable in desktop mode,I've been doing some video editing no reboots...

R9 390 takes really a lot of power,but buying PSU just because of that I dunno,it's not necessary for me to game on this PC.

Let it run in deskop mode and we will see what happens.

Did you ever get the 18-pin plugged all the way into the PSU?  Last I saw it, it was only plugged in half way.

Sorry if I answered here, I should create a thearh, I have the same problem 4 months ago, when I played Mk11 the screen went dark but did not restart, any game with high graphics restarts my PC with asus power supply error (but not Turns it off)
Turbo boost activated (default BIOS) 3.4hz to 3.8hz or using nvidia 4k DSR reboot my pc with psu error

The only solution I have at the moment is to disable the turbo boost and set the CPU to 100hz 3400mhz

Could it be a PSU problem? In my country, the prices are very high and I don't want to risk it, which I can't borrow.

My BIOS does not show the XMP option and my RAM is 1600mhz 1.65V but my BIOS is automatically activated 1333mhz 1.5v 9 9 9 24 by default

i5 3570 3.4hz
Gpu: EVGA 980 Ti 6GB SC
Dam: SABERTOOTH Z77
Memory 16GB (Kingstom blue fury 1600 MHz Supply voltage 1.65V) 4GB
Bios: Version 2104 2013/09/16 I don't have the XMP option to disable or enable that seems strange to me.

Generic Source Sentey 725W XPLUS is not 80 plus.

What will be the problem?

Could it be a Windows 10 dll problem? or some COM administrator permission with CLSID

COM with CLSID
DistributedCOM 10016
Kernel-General (when restarting power issue)

Temperature I don't think that's the problem, thermal paste was changed, change GPU fan speed to 60%, temperature reaches 55 ° gpu maximum and 45 ° CPU

Excuse me, use the translator, my English is bad.

1 hour ago, winvdp said:

Sorry if I answered here, I should create a thearh, I have the same problem 4 months ago, when I played Mk11 the screen went dark but did not restart, any game with high graphics restarts my PC with asus power supply error (but not Turns it off)
Turbo boost activated (default BIOS) 3.4hz to 3.8hz or using nvidia 4k DSR reboot my pc with psu error

The only solution I have at the moment is to disable the turbo boost and set the CPU to 100hz 3400mhz

Could it be a PSU problem? In my country, the prices are very high and I don't want to risk it, which I can't borrow.

My BIOS does not show the XMP option and my RAM is 1600mhz 1.65V but my BIOS is automatically activated 1333mhz 1.5v 9 9 9 24 by default

i5 3570 3.4hz
Bios: Version 2104 2013/09/16 I don't have the XMP option to disable or enable that seems strange to me.

Could it be a Windows 10 dll problem? or some COM administrator permission with CLSID

COM with CLSID
DistributedCOM 10016

Temperature I don't think that's the problem, thermal paste was changed, change GPU fan speed to 60%, temperature reaches 55 ° gpu maximum and 45 ° CPU

You're right.  You should create your own thread. 

8 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Did you ever get the 18-pin plugged all the way into the PSU?  Last I saw it, it was only plugged in half way.

Jonny this is other PC,sorry I didn't mention that.

It has some mediocre PSU which is GX 650 W from CoolerMaster and I bought that unit used.

So does the message necessary mean that PSU is bad.

I measured all the voltages on rails all are okay though not under load.

Forget to mention all PC are connected to surge protector without battery.

I unplugged the R9 390 anf put R7 370 which has lower TDP,and if I can remember right didn't have issues with this card.

Now I'm doing Aida64 stress test,and report back if the PC reboots,which would tell me it's probably either PSU or MoBo,not GPU.

7 hours ago, winvdp said:

i5 3570 3.4hz

COM with CLSID
DistributedCOM 10016

@jonnyGURU will correct me if I am wrong,but you have 2 problems:

1.I never heard of such PSU,I bet it's not even in tier list and as in my case your PSU is weakest component.

2.All 8+6 or even 8+8 my assumption require clean stable current to the card,which can be achieved via only expensive PSU.

That is only my assumption if I am wrong Jonny can tell,I'm curious,at least that happens in my case,obviously R9 390 which is very power hungry can't work with shitty PSU.

8 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

You're right.  You should create your own thread. 

My dear friend these I can get:

Leadex superflower Gold 750 w or evga 850 G3?

Both same pricing.

Which one should I choose based on your experienced review?

So I let the Aida64 stress test for almost 5 hours,PC didn't reboot at all....which means system is stable...then why the hell I get reboots while gaming?

I'll do Furmark now and report back.

All voltages are in the range I measured with multimeter.

Though now I'm on R7 370.

Screen Shot 07-26-20 at 01.36 PM.JPG

so lets conclude:

PSU GX 650W+R9 390 Strix=issues with Power surge
PSU GX 650W+R7 370 Vapor=no issues doing stress test (aida64+msi kombustor)

PSU CM V850+R9 390 Strix (worked 4 years in a rig)=no issues at all

So what can we figure out then from this?

4 minutes ago, frozensun said:

so lets conclude:

PSU GX 650W+R9 390 Strix=issues with Power surge
PSU GX 650W+R7 370 Vapor=no issues doing stress test (aida64+msi kombustor)

PSU CM V850+R9 390 Strix (worked 4 years in a rig)=no issues at all

So what can we figure out then from this?

That the GX650 can't handle the 390? It's not entirely surprising - the GX afaik is really old at this point in time and the 390 is a space heater and draws a lot of current.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

40 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

That the GX650 can't handle the 390? It's not entirely surprising - the GX afaik is really old at this point in time and the 390 is a space heater and draws a lot of current.

that was my assumption from begining,as I said...

I'm lazy to go into details how much current GX 650 offers on 12V rails...that PSU is old and need to be replaced anyway.

3 hours ago, Mateyyy said:

what does that have to do with surges with PSU?

Explain me if you are electrical engineer.. :)

4 minutes ago, frozensun said:

what does that have to do with surges with PSU?

Explain me if you are electrical engineer.. :)

It seems you may have missed some details that were mentioned several times by several posters. I will highlight the relevant parts for you.

23 hours ago, seon123 said:

Asus anti surge is known to just be full of crap, and be triggered by just restarts.

23 hours ago, Spotty said:

The Asus anti surge message is useless. It just tells you that the PC was turned off/restarted unexpectedly.

:)

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

It seems you may have missed some details that were mentioned several times by several posters. I will highlight the relevant parts for you.

so you think that's AAS is crap?