WiFi 6 router configurations

Hi everyone, I recently moved into a new home and wanted to have a capable setup. I decided to splurge and get a good router and modem as I have xfinity (the only real isp in my area). For a modem we got the arris surfboard SB8200, and router we got the netgear AX1800. We have gigabit internet through our isp and while I recognize that we won’t always get gigabit down I did expect more than 300 mbps while right next to the router. When I first got everything connected I only got 90-120 mbps but after changing some setting in the router admin portal I was able to get 350 mbps. This worked for a couple of days then I tried to tinker with everything some more to see if I could get it back but now I’m back to getting 100 mbps even after putting everything back how it was before. So my question is what kind of settings should I be focusing on to change and tweak to get better speeds and what should I not change?

10 minutes ago, Chester Hansen said:

Hi everyone, I recently moved into a new home and wanted to have a capable setup. I decided to splurge and get a good router and modem as I have xfinity (the only real isp in my area). For a modem we got the arris surfboard SB8200, and router we got the netgear AX1800. We have gigabit internet through our isp and while I recognize that we won’t always get gigabit down I did expect more than 300 mbps while right next to the router. When I first got everything connected I only got 90-120 mbps but after changing some setting in the router admin portal I was able to get 350 mbps. This worked for a couple of days then I tried to tinker with everything some more to see if I could get it back but now I’m back to getting 100 mbps even after putting everything back how it was before. So my question is what kind of settings should I be focusing on to change and tweak to get better speeds and what should I not change?

I am not sure 100% of the exact model number netgear, but I suggest that you turn off `QoS`. Also, check if you are on 5Gz. Also one tip as I have xfinity, you should tight the wires of the coax everywhere there is a connection to ensure all connection goes through. 

If you have the option I would plug directly into the router and run a speed test to make sure you are actually getting a gig. Just to cross off any other issues and focus that it is the WiFi that is slow.

16 hours ago, Chester Hansen said:

Plug the modem directly in to a computer and do a speed test. You need to make sure the router is not the issue. If you don't get Gig speeds without the router then either the wrong config file was sent to your modem OR you have signal issues that need to be investigated. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.