PS5 - A viable 4K Blu Ray player?

Hi all,

I've been aiming to start making full use of my 4K HDR TV's capabilities, which means investing in 4K HDR Blu Rays rather than streaming films and TV series in 4K HDR.

Over recent months I've been planning to pre-order the PS5 disc edition and use it as my Blu Ray player as well as games console (kill two bird with one stone eh?). Do you guys think this is a viable solution for my want of making the most of my TV or do you think I should invest in a standalone 4K Blu Ray player? (Would the *estimated £100 saving between the digital and disc edition PS5 be enough to purchase a worthwhile Blu Ray player?)

Any input would be greatly appreciated,

Cookie

2 minutes ago, Cookie0810 said:

I've been aiming to start making full use of my 4K HDR TV's capabilities, which means investing in 4K HDR Blu Rays rather than streaming films and TV series in 4K HDR.

As long as you have a decent internet connection and subscriptions to sources that don't use excessive video compression algorithms, you should still be able to get the most of your 4K HDR viewing experience.

I would personally prefer having a separate Blu Ray player if you need to play Blu Ray discs, you will likely be able to get a better viewing experience with putting that £100 towards a dedicated Blu Ray player such as this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DMP-BDT180EB-Smart-Blu-Ray-Player/dp/B01CEE1OPY/ref=sr_1_35?dchild=1&keywords=4k+blu+ray+player&qid=1595339503&sr=8-35

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

Sony's consoles have typically been excellent Blu Ray players (Blu Ray is Sony tech, after all), so I would expect the PS5 to do very well for the 4K discs.  A dedicated 4K player of decent quality will of course do a great job, but considering the processing power in the PS5, I don't see how the dedicated player would do much better.

It's obviously too early to say what the experience will be like, but the XBO UHD blu-ray player setup really kind of blows. In general, you're going to have a much better experience with a dedicated player, but if it's one of those situations where you just already have it, then it'll probably be good enough. That's the situation with my XBO. I didn't buy it for the UHD blu-ray, but I do most of my 4K via streaming. For the handful of UHD blu-rays I do have, the XBO is good enough to not warrant spending the money on something else. If I actually had an extensive UHD blu-ray library or really cared that much really, I'd buy a dedicated player, though.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

@Chris Pratt @VIVO-US @Boomwebsearch Thanks guys, interesting points. I'm going to wait to see if Sony mention the Blu Ray support in the build up to launch and make a decision then. It probably won't be a major shouting point for them but will be interesting to see if they mention it...

25 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

I would personally prefer having a separate Blu Ray player if you need to play Blu Ray discs, you will likely be able to get a better viewing experience with putting that £100 towards a dedicated Blu Ray player such as this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DMP-BDT180EB-Smart-Blu-Ray-Player/dp/B01CEE1OPY/ref=sr_1_35?dchild=1&keywords=4k+blu+ray+player&qid=1595339503&sr=8-35

That player doesn't seem to support 4K Blu-rays(or HDR).

• 2 weeks later...

If Sony can match the features of their X700, then it should be a good device.  The biggest thing to look for is the support of HDR, HDR10+, Dolby Vision and Atmos support.  Right now, the XB1X handles a majority of them, but lacks Dolby Vision I believe.  

https://www.sony.com/electronics/blu-ray-disc-players/ubp-x700

I personally use the X700 for watching 4k physical media which I prefer over the XB1X since I can set it once for movies and not have to change everything back for gaming.  You will typically have a lot more processing and a different picture quality setting for movies since lag isn't a concern. 

Gaming - AMD TR 3970X | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme II | G.SKILL Neo 3600 64GB | Zotac Nvidia 2080 Ti AMP | 2x Sabarent 1TB NVMe | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1000w | Corsair K70 RGB Lux | Corsiar M65 | 2x ASUS Rog PG279Q | BenQ EW3270U | Windows 10 Pro | EKWB Custom loop

ITX - Intel i7-10700k | Asus ROG Z490-I Gaming | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200 32GB | EVGA 2080 Super| Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SSD | NZXT H1| Windows 10 Pro

HTPC - Intel i9-9900k | Asus ROG Maximus XI Code | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200 32GB | EVGA 1070 | Samsung 970 1TB | WD Blue 1TB SSD | NZXT H700  | EVGA G3 1000W | Corsair H150i | Windows 10 Pro

Servers - SuperMicro 846 | 2x 2695L V2 | 128GB | Chelsio 10Gbe | Chelsio 40Gbe | 24 x 6TB | FreeNas - SuperMicro 826 | 2 x 2695L | 128GB | Chelsio 10Gbe | Chelsio 40Gbe | 8 x 10TB | 847 24 x 1TB SSD | Windows Server 2019

Work - Dell XPS 15 9560 | i7-7700HQ | 32 GB RAM | 1TB NVMe | 4k dsiplay