Need advice on how good this PC deal is

Hey guys, been a while.

A friend of mine put up a post to sell all his gaming gear. For $660 bucks, he's getting rid of (everything in a working condition). Reason its going for so cheap is he's done with PC gaming and has been done for a while so the stuff was just collecting dust. Can't be bothered to find proper buyers it seems. 

- PC: i7 6800k, GTX 1080, 16GB RAM, Corsair 570X Case, 800W Corsair PSU, 2TB HDD and 256 SSD

- Monitor: Asus PG279Q

- Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition keyboard and Naga mouse 

I currently have my system from 2016 - i7 6700 and GTX 1070 and I already own a 1440p 144hz G-Sync monitor. 

It's a mind-blowing deal (at least what I thought) but then given the new stuff that has come out and it not being a generation upgrade from my current system, do you guys think I should pick it up?

I was planning on upgrading my CPU along with GPU when Nvidia launches their 3000 series cards. 

I've already slightly committed by giving the guy my word but now having a small feeling to backout seeing that a 2060 performs as well as a 1080... progress in tech... 

Do let me know your thoughts. 

1 minute ago, Gmanliving said:

This seems like a steal to me. The monitor itself is worth the majority of that price. I would most certainly buy it, and then you can always sell the bit you don't want for a profit

PC

Ryzen 5 2600 Stock

Sapphire Nitro+ Special Edition Radeon RX580 8GB (Would Recommend)

Gigabyte B450M DS3H (Don't recommend)

Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000MHz CL15 

Phanteks P300 (Would Recommend)

Kingston A400 240GB SSD

Seagate BarraCuda 1TB HDD

Corsair CX550M 550W  80+ Bronze

Deepcool FH-10 Fan Hub

3x BeQuiet Pure Wings 2

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/marmour/saved/QTY3ZL

Peripherals

LG 24MK400H

Logitech G413 Carbon

Logitech G305 (AAA Adaptor - 10g reduction) (Would recommend)

Logitech Z150

HyperX Cloud II (Would recommend)

Moto G5 Plus (Webcam)

Phone

Pixel 3A XL (Would recommend)

*Useful Link* PSU Tier List: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/

If you also happen to need a monitor upgrade, that sounds like a killer deal. Iirc the PG279Q's MSRP wasn't too far off $600 on its own.

Edit: And I just noticed you've already got a 1440p 144Hz panel. In that case then, the computer itself doesn't sound particularly great for gaming, as in the 6800K hasn't aged too great, particularly in terms of its single-core performance. I'd probably keep the 600 bucks and wait for Ampere and RDNA2 GPUs to come out, and get one of those for your system instead.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

It wouldn't be much of an upgrade over your current system at all. Gaming wise a 6800k won't be much better than your 6700 and a gtx 1080 is better than a 6700 but not worth such an investment.

If you didn't have anything this system would have been nice to have but with the new stuff on the horizon and you already having a pretty darn nice computer I would not do this. Also a standard 2060 is not faster than a 1080 a 2060super performs the same as a 1080.

Nevermind the above in consideration to buy it the monitor costs as much as the whole used system and then some.

2 minutes ago, marmour said:

This seems like a steal to me. The monitor itself is worth the majority of that price. I would most certainly buy it, and then you can always sell the bit you don't want for a profit

That's true man. Thanks for the reply. 

2 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

If you also happen to need a monitor upgrade, that sounds like a killer deal. Iirc PG279Q's MSRP wasn't too far off $600 on its own.

Already have a Predator XB-271HU which essentially is identical but yeah it is a killer deal no doubt. Could run dual monitors but not sure how useful it would be. Thanks for the reply

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

It wouldn't be much of an upgrade over your current system at all. Gaming wise a 6800k won't be much better than your 6700 and a gtx 1080 is better than a 6700 but not worth such an investment.

If you didn't have anything this system would have been nice to have but with the new stuff on the horizon and you already having a pretty darn nice computer I would not do this. Also a standard 2060 is not faster than a 1080 a 2060super performs the same as a 1080.

Yeah I had the same feelings about the upgrade over my system which is the only thing holding me back although it's a mad deal!!

Thanks for the correction on the GPU performance too

4 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

really good deal , jump on that, Damn. 

spacer.png

I agree man just in two minds about it

14 minutes ago, Gmanliving said:

That's true man. Thanks for the reply. 

Already have a Predator XB-271HU which essentially is identical but yeah it is a killer deal no doubt. Could run dual monitors but not sure how useful it would be. Thanks for the reply

Yeah I had the same feelings about the upgrade over my system which is the only thing holding me back although it's a mad deal!!

Thanks for the correction on the GPU performance too

I agree man just in two minds about it

I would go for it either way. I did not pay attention to the monitor and once I noticed that this deal turned from alright to really damn good.