how to unlock files?

Mando772004

so i just bought Sea of thieves on steam and i wanna try and copy the microsoft files to steam maybe it could work. anyways the files are locked and im looking for a way to unlock them. ive tried going to the security tab and setting my user as the owner and it doesnt work. any suggestions. here are what the files look like image.png.073e91c18dcf3a9ceeacea14a59f3ac8.png

Just now, InfernalClaw said:

so i just bought Sea of thieves on steam and i wanna try and copy the microsoft files to steam maybe it could work.

it won't work. 

Please mark as helpful and informative so my profile looks better.

quote or reply to me if you want me to reply to you.

Thanks

If you're trying to get a game you didn't buy on steam to show up in steam, this is not the way to do it. You can add an external software to steam so it shows up in your library.

If you're trying to trick steam into thinking you own the game through steam, you cannot. That's not how digital licensing works.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Just now, Mad153 said:

it won't work. 

my question is how to unlock the files that the question i need an answer for

Just now, Slottr said:

If you're trying to get a game you didn't buy on steam to show up in steam, this is not the way to do it. You can add an external software to steam so it shows up in your library.

If you're trying to trick steam into thinking you own the game through steam, you cannot. That's not how digital licensing works.

i actually own the game i just want to transfer the files to steam. i already own the game i paid for it

Just now, InfernalClaw said:

they're encrypted as well so there's no bother.

You can add a game to steam that you didn't buy there by opening steam > pressing games > add A non steam game to my library

Please mark as helpful and informative so my profile looks better.

quote or reply to me if you want me to reply to you.

Thanks

4 minutes ago, InfernalClaw said:

i actually own the game i just want to transfer the files to steam. i already own the game i paid for it

Again, that's not how digital licensing works. You can add an external software to your steam library by going to games > add a non-steam game to my library.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

15 minutes ago, InfernalClaw said:

you do realize that it supports crossplay between steam , microsoft (pc and xbox) right? so what your doing is 100% pointless. 

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

3 minutes ago, -CLASSIFIED- said:

you do realize that it supports crossplay between steam , microsoft (pc and xbox) right? so what your doing is 100% pointless. 

no i want to play the game on steam because my game pass will expire soon

I'm guessing he doesn't want to redownload the game - but that's the only thing he can do. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

47 minutes ago, InfernalClaw said:

so i just bought Sea of thieves on steam and i wanna try and copy the microsoft files to steam

What MS files are you talking about? If you bought the game on Steam, everything the game needs to run is in the Steam download, which is then stored in the location specified as Steam's default library.

49 minutes ago, InfernalClaw said:

ive tried going to the security tab and setting my user as the owner and it doesnt work.

Why would you need to change the owner of the files, if you bought them already? They should be your files already.

47 minutes ago, InfernalClaw said:

If you are having issues with your game not functioning properly, you need to contact Steam Support, then. They can issue a refund, or help you get your issue sorted.

29 minutes ago, InfernalClaw said:

no i want to play the game on steam because my game pass will expire soon

If you bought the game on Steam, then it doesn't matter if your Game Pass will expire, because you will still own the game. On Steam. If you have been playing the game through your Game Pass, though, and not through the version you bought on Steam, then you will lose all your progress, because the two versions are incompatible.

What is sounds like, though, is you think you can download the game to play through Game Pass (a rental service), and then keep the game without paying for it by copying the files to another location. But, you are out of luck, because developers have spent many years making sure things like that don't happen. If you enjoy the game, pay for it. If something is wrong with your purchased version of the game, contact the proper service's customer support.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

1 hour ago, The1Dickens said:

Why would you need to change the owner of the files, if you bought them already? They should be your files already.

No, apps/games downloaded from MS Store is not mean to be accessible to anyone other then WIndows itself by default. Its how their drm/sandbox environment works. 

From what I can understand:

Op didn’t actually ‘buy’ the game, he has a game pass free trial and got SOT from that. what op is trying to trick steam into thinking that it purchsased the game there, which is impossible

5 hours ago, InfernalClaw said:

...i just bought Sea of thieves on steam... i wanna try and copy the microsoft files to steam maybe it could work.

You cannot do this. It won't work. Game files from the Microsoft store are different from those downloaded from the Steam store. Since you already bought the game on Steam, just download the game through Steam.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

It cannot be unlocked. You cannot use the Microsoft store files for the steam version, not the same.

Download it through Steam overnight.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I'm not sure why you even bought it twice?

A girl who loves to love.

3 hours ago, C2dan88 said:

No, apps/games downloaded from MS Store is not mean to be accessible to anyone other then WIndows itself by default. Its how their drm/sandbox environment works. 

Yep I had this problem around a year and a half ago when the very locked down windows (enterprise) wouldn't let me delete an app I got for free from the MS store bc enterprise rules BS. But I eventually stopped using that computer in favor of a laptop, so they wiped the SSD clean, thank god. 

MS store files are encrypted with UWP, which there is only like 2 games that I can think of where the games encryption is broken on purpose, and that is to allow modding on Skyrim and Fallout 4 for XB1, but those games aren't on the PC MS store, so it doesn't matter. 

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

1 minute ago, Aimi said:

I'm not sure why you even bought it twice?

He didn't, something about buying the game on steam but also getting it through xb gamepass for PC, which is about to expire soon. I really don't understand what he is thinking, but he technically owns the game, and then owns a subscription. 

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

Are you trying to transfer your save files over to the steam version or are you trying to move the downloaded game from Microsoft's folder to steam's folder, hoping that you wouldn't need to download it again?

I don't think any of those will work.

8 hours ago, gloop said:

Op didn’t actually ‘buy’ the game, he has a game pass free trial and got SOT from that. what op is trying to trick steam into thinking that it purchsased the game there, which is impossible

No, from what he says he currently has game pass and was playing there, but has cancelled it and then bought the game on steam. And for some reason he doesn't seem to want to redownload.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

On 7/19/2020 at 7:47 PM, Kilrah said:

I'm guessing he doesn't want to redownload the game - but that's the only thing he can do. 

yup xD

5 minutes ago, InfernalClaw said:

yup xD

If you are waiting this long asking for help porting encrypted files to steam, you can wait to download from steam. Even if you and the steam servers are slow af, you just wait, it is your only option. Or you can stop playing SOT but I wouldn't suggest that if you enjoy it and own it on steam. 

3 minutes ago, Nathanpete said:

If you are waiting this long asking for help porting encrypted files to steam, you can wait to download from steam. Even if you and the steam servers are slow af, you just wait, it is your only option. Or you can stop playing SOT but I wouldn't suggest that if you enjoy it and own it on steam. 

well i already downloaded it so i dont need to worry about that. internet in egypt isnt good so thats why i kinda wanted to port the files

3 minutes ago, InfernalClaw said:

well i already downloaded it so i dont need to worry about that. internet in egypt isnt good so thats why i kinda wanted to port the files

Yeah I knew from your location that your chances of having good internet were low. Like even where I am I can get 200-300 Mbps down, but just 15km (not gonna use freedom units so I don't look like an asshole) away the maximum speed you can get is 3 Mbps down. My grandparents are 24km away and when I stayed there for two weeks (i'm a 17yo that got kicked out of the family vacation, don't ask) it really sucked being stuck on 480p instead of my normal 720p60, among a lot of other things.