Does passing a gpu to a vm mean I can't use it in the host?

Go to solution Solved by Bananasplit_00,

Card is either used for the host or the VM.

I have a rx 570 and I'm running Ubuntu 20.04. I want to be able to pass the graphics card to a vm so I can boot up a windows vm from time to time to play some games. Will passing the graphics card mean that I won't be able to see anything on my host? If so, is there anyway that I can split up my card's resources (for example give 3gb of vram to the vm) and pass some to the vm (Similarly to how you can do it with quadros)?

Card is either used for the host or the VM.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

This only works with the really expensive server GPUs made for splitting. I think it could even be problematic to switch a card over to a vm because GPUs are very picky about being initialized more than once.

You can share resources with virtual GPUs built into most VM softwares, but those are incredibly slow. Quadro and Tesla cards can be split with Nvidia's GPU virtualization software, but even then I'm pretty sure it's only between VMs, not VMs and host, and near as I can tell it incurs a massive performance overhead.

Basically no, you'll need a second GPU that remains attached to the host if you plan to do this. You also can't leave it at 1 GPU and just not see what's on your host, because the host is needed to display the window the VM is in. It might be worth looking into just dual booting Windows instead of virtualizing it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

In this case I don't have the money for an expensive quadro card (that's performs good), so I think I will have to upgrade to threadripper to get more pcie lanes to install a second gpu (I have ryzen 5 1600 and I have used all of my pcie lanes).